Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   London Hotels - HELP please! (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/london-hotels-help-please-61748/)

Tanya Feb 4th, 2000 12:14 PM

London Hotels - HELP please!

Is there any such thing as a double room w/ shower or bath in London (easy access to the subway) for under $100-ish? I'm going crazy! Don't need anything fancy - a step above a hostel is fine - but do require safe/clean and private toilet. Anything?????? <BR>

michele Feb 4th, 2000 12:21 PM

Tanya, <BR> <BR>I am staying, at the recommendation of Rick Steves, at THE LIME TREE HOTEL in the Belgravia area. It's a B and B and is about $100 for a double with private facilites. I received a positive report from one of the Steves' posters on it, and I, too, <BR>was having a hard time finding anything in that price range. I will be in London in mid-April. If that is before your trip I would be happy to give you a report. <BR>Also, I remember a post on this subject on this forum, so you might try to find it.

ron Feb 4th, 2000 12:22 PM

The Travel Inns (4 in London) fit that bill, £60 per night, breakfast NOT included.

Judy Feb 4th, 2000 12:23 PM

Our family stayed at a Travel Inn which is a chain of hotels similar to a Holiday Inn. We stayed in the Putney Bridge Hotel which was near the tube. It was roomy for our family of four and only L59 (no breakfast). Then we stayed in another one which was much smaller, but only L39. Both rooms were clean and had a shower/tub. There are several new hotels in London. Good luck! Judy

Kathy Feb 5th, 2000 06:06 AM

Queens Gate (54 Queens Gate) becuz there is another hotel similar name. 3 blocks from Gloucester Rd tube and it was 65.00 lbs inc cont brkfasts, we had large room with 2 beds and big bathroom. No elavators so we had to walk up stairs but it was a quiet street and good location we are going again in March and are staying there. I have also stayed at Harlingford hotel near Russell SQ 82.00 lbs inc full cooked brkfast rooms are small and bathrooms are pretty small and Swiss House also near Gloucester Rd 77.00 lbs inc cont brkfast rooms pretty nice but if you are facing Brompton RD it can be noisy <BR>

betsy Feb 5th, 2000 07:07 AM

Kathy <BR> <BR>Does Queens Gate have a web site? <BR> <BR>Thanks!

Tom Feb 5th, 2000 08:17 AM

Tanya - Try www.180096hotel.com or Last trip to London we stayed at Mowbray Court Hotel www.M-C-Hotel.mcmail.com which is just a very short walk from Earl's Court tube on the Picadilly Line that goes to Heathrow. This Hotel was recommended in frommers budget travel magazine. Very friendly staff and for the money I felt it was a good value. <BR>their email - [email protected]

Tom Feb 5th, 2000 08:27 AM

Just took a peek at Mowbray's web page and found a double room w/ bath for 67 pounds or just over $100.

Julie Feb 5th, 2000 04:18 PM

We stay, when we have occasion to go to London, which is twice or more a year, in the Tavistock. It is clean, unpretensious, close to everything and has a nice breakfast room. Not too expensive, but can't remember what we paid.

julie Feb 5th, 2000 04:21 PM

P.S. If you are new to London, try to stay somewhere near the "Picadilly" line, which is the main line into town, and goes to the airport without having to change trains. The trains are real easy in London. Also, the Tavistock, I neglected to say, is within walking distance of Covent Garden, Picadilly Circus, the theater district, etc.

Jen Feb 7th, 2000 06:55 AM

Try the London Guards Hotel in Bayswater. Great location. The London Guards Hotel is located right between 2 tube stops and about 1 block from where the Airbus from the airport drops you off. You get a free light breakfast. The hotel in clean and our room was a nice size. We had 2 double beds in the room, a cable tv, and a hairdryer. They have a website but I don't have it handy.

sherri Feb 15th, 2000 03:28 PM

We were in London in January and stayed at the DeVere Park Hotel. They had a special rate of 50 pounds per night (no breakfast but all taxes). It is an older hotel, the rooms are large (for London), and it is conveniently located. Our room overlooked Kensington Gardens with a good view of Kensington Palace. The hotel is a five to ten minute walk from either Glouchester Road or High Street Kensington. There is a bus stop in front of the hotel that goes directly to Picadilly Circus; perfect for theatre going. <BR> <BR>I would stay at this hotel again. I also recommend the Oxbridge Apartments at 45 pounds per night for a studio (full kitchen and bath). It is located five minutes from Glouchester Road.

JoAnne Feb 15th, 2000 06:14 PM

I booked a room at the Jesmond Hotel (a B&B in Bloomsbury). It's $101/night, which includes breakfast and tax. It's located near the British Museum and University of London on Gower St. I got a lot of recommendations for this and other B&Bs on this street. <BR>They don't have an email address but the web site address is <BR>http://business.virgin.net/jesmond.hotel <BR>They respond quickly via fax and are very pleasant on the phone.

Carolyn Feb 20th, 2000 06:58 PM

We just booked a hotel through www.hotel-assist.com. They have a budget category you can choose from with a list of hotels. Many include pictures. They responded within hours to my e-mail. Good luck!

JO Feb 21st, 2000 04:17 AM

I live in London and often book people into a place called Roland House on Old Brompton Road. It is serviced apartments as opposed to a hotel but the only disadvantage is that there is no restaurant/lounge area. All rooms are en-suite and also have a small kitchenette - most have two double beds. Great location near the natural history museum, two tube stations, park etc. Downside is that the service is dreadful and it is a bit noisy. I pay approx. 80 sterling but they are currently renovating and I think prices are going up. The phone number is 0171 370 6221