London hotels -- advice on these 5

Old Jan 12th, 2003, 12:07 PM
Jenson

London hotels -- advice on these 5

I will be in London for 6 nights in mid-February. I have narrowed down my choices to the following 5 hotels:
-- Covent Garden Hotel
-- Knightsbridge Hotel
-- Chesterfield Mayfair
-- One Aldwch

Covent Garden Hotel is currently my top choice -- because I'd really like to stay in an area close to Picadilly and the West End theatres. But, so far the nightly prices I'm finding are over $300 USD. My maximum budget is $250 USD per night.

I like smaller hotels (40-100 rooms), larger-sized rooms, updated bathrooms, unique room decor. Lastly, I want a hotel with a central location (preferably walking distance to theaters).

Out of the hotels listed above, any advice on which I should choose? And where I could get the best price?

MANY thanks!

Old Jan 13th, 2003, 09:51 AM
kim

I put in my vote for One Aldwych. Just got back a week ago.
The good..GREAT location...Covent Garden
is a very short walk from the hotel, Tate Modern/Oxo Tower is just across the bridge 15 to 20 minute walk which isn't bad as there is a great view as you walk across it.
There is a theater across the street now playing Mrs Warren's Profession starring Brenda Blethyn and the Lyceum Theater with the Lion King. Trafalgar, Picadilly, Leicester not a far walk either. Royal Opera very close also.

The room: The room is decorated nicely...very modernish look to it. No chintz at all.
Nice linens. Fresh fruit delivered daily (not a whole basket mind you..just a couple of plums, couple of oranges, grapes ..). CD player and TV in
the room. Nice view. Very good service.

Great bathroom-- marble floor which you can heat up, heated towel rack..large tub (and there is a separate shower)...a mini tv in the bathroom.

Nice bar in the lobby and very nice restaurant Indigo. Pool plays classical music while you swim underwater...it's also slightly heated.

The bad...if you get a room here and you're with your sig other..get a deluxe aldwych room or better yet a suite. While the room was nice it was just merely adequate space for what we needed. I couldn't imagine what size a regular aldwych room was like. No iron either so we had to use the pressing service once we unpacked..so bring your own iron !

All in all I really loved the place and will stay there again whenever I go back.

Old Jan 15th, 2003, 07:13 AM
marge

We stayed at the Chesterfield last month and were extremely pleased. The place is 100% British decorated, clean, and the staff is friendly and helpful.
We were able to walk 10 minutes to Picadilly or Regent Street, and yet had Hyde Park and Buckingham Palace 10 minutes away the other direction.
While we took a cab to Her Majesty's Theatre, we chose to walk back to the Chesterfield - and even tho the crowds on New Years Eve were thick it took us 15 minutes.
We recommend the Chesterfield and will stay there next time.

Old Jan 16th, 2003, 02:44 AM
Jenson00

Thanks so much for the comments re: Chesterfield. It sounds like the perfect location. Can you tell which room you stayed in? I like the theatre and music suites (from the pics on their web site) but the quote I've rec'd is for £195.00. I'd really like to find something for £150.00. They do offer their superior double rooms for £150.00 and I'm wondering how they compare. Any ideas? Thanks!!

Old Jan 16th, 2003, 05:50 AM
jules

To get a great rate, try laterooms.com, or even lastminute.com. These 2 sites often have excellent deals on these hotels. Covent Garden Hotel is very 'in' now, One Aldwych is fantastic. Also, try Charlotte Street hotel in soho...really lovely. Good Luck!

Old Jan 16th, 2003, 06:06 AM
Karen

Here's another suggestion. We've stayed at the Hampshire Edwardian Hotel that sits right in Leicester Square just across from the 1/2 price ticket booth. It's a lovely small hotel with very nice rooms. They are part of the Radisson chain and you should be able to get a discount online with some work, especially in Feb. You can't beat the location for convenience. The only thing is Leicester Square is very lively all the time....which may be a problem if you want a quiet neighborhood. Here's the URL:

http://www.radisson.com/hoteldirectory/hotelbio.jsp?hotelCode=GBHAMPSH

Old Jan 16th, 2003, 01:07 PM
David

I would just echo Jules suggestion to try lastminute.com they have some very good deals at the moment.

Old Jan 18th, 2003, 09:47 AM
Karen

There used to be a kisok at the Heathrow that sold last minute hotel rooms. One trip in late Sept. we went to London with no hotels, went directly to that booth and got a room at the Hamshire Edwardian for 105 lbs., and a room at Monkey Island for about 50% off. In February you shouldn't have any trouble in finding 5 star hotels at 50% off either on those websites they listed or at the airport kiosk. Maybe they don't have it anymore at the airport with the advent of the internet taking over. I wouldn't pay $250/night for a hotel in off season, that's nuts. I would however, look for 4 or 5 star hotels since the UK standards are lower than they are in the U.S.