Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   London hotels (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/london-hotels-654202/)

judyumcer Oct 21st, 2006 03:24 PM

London hotels

Are there any really nice London hotels that are reasonable and have a great location. Will be there a week next Sept.

Margo_Chester Oct 21st, 2006 03:35 PM

There are lots of them. What is your budget?

daveesl Oct 21st, 2006 03:49 PM

Did a Priceline bid, lucked up and got the Thistle Charing Cross for about $90 per night. Be aware, if you use the bid, you can't guarantee what hotel you'll get.

dave

jody Oct 21st, 2006 04:25 PM

I think Millenium Bailey's has just about the best location in London. It's in my favorite part, S ken, just a short walk from a few museums, loads of shops and restaurants, and great shopping at Harrod;s and along Beauchamp Place, King's Rd ,Fulham Rd etc. and it's 5 steps from Glouster Rd tube and 2 blocks from South Ken tube. Lot's of busses along Cromwell Rd, 1 block away. I can usually get a club room with breakfast for 90 GBP on Londontown.com and it's worth every cent to me.More than Priceline, but at least I know in advance what I'm getting for my money.

taggie Oct 21st, 2006 04:35 PM

I love Margo's reply. It is quite impossible to answer your questions as we have no idea what you mean by "reasonable" and "really nice", or "great location". My definition of those terms could be vastly different from yours.

That said, the Rembrandt in S. Kensington or Jury's Kensington are both well-located and fairly nice for a decent price. They're convenient to a good tube stop, close to shopping I like and to museums, and in a neighbourhood that's fairly quiet at night and nice for walking.

nytraveler Oct 21st, 2006 04:54 PM

IMHO - no - there is no such thing in London. But as others have mentioned, that depends on what you mean by "nice, "reasonable" and "great location". In my experience you have to give on at least one of the 3.

We gave up on "reasonable" a long time ago and can find many nice hotels in great locations. You may be able to do this with Priceline - but be sure you know how it works - since once you click your money is gone.

Also - you should tell us who/how many you are - whcih can make a major difference.

Being there a week you may find an apartment a better choice for you - since you can save a lot by making your own breakfasts and bringing in an occasional dinner.

janisj Oct 23rd, 2006 12:45 PM

Do you have <b>any</b> idea how many hundreds of hotels there are in London?

Before you can get any sort of useful suggestions, at a minimum we need to know your budget - &quot;reasonable&quot; doesn't do it - we need a number.

How many of you - a couple, some friends traveling together, or a family??

(If a group or family you'll usually do a lot better renting a flat - tho' we'd still need to know your budget)

And finally - no single location will be close to more than a handful of major sites. There are MANY great locations in London and you can get from anywhere to anywhere by public transport.

carolyn Oct 24th, 2006 03:51 PM

Jody, the Bailey's has just changed from being a Millennium hotel. They were just putting up the new sign last week as we were leaving, so I don't know with whom they are now affiliated.

We stayed up the block at the Millennium Gloucester through Priceline. It was quite nice with pleasantly sized room and a bath with plenty of room for toiletries for two, but they are redoing their rooms in what the room brochure called &quot;East meets West.&quot; That seemed to mean chrome and with sharp corners on the furniture anad vertical orange pads as headboards for the beds. I'm not much on contemporary, and it was a shock to the system to walk down hallways of old fashioned dark wood doors into east meets west.

We paid a total of $380 for a double room for six nights, taxes included but not breakfast. The rate was offered at $200 less than usual for booking as a package with airfare.

There is a Paul's across from the tube stop that has Paris-style macaroons. Yum!

historytraveler Oct 24th, 2006 04:02 PM

Here are a few more to try.

www.regency-london.co.uk
www.durrantshotel.co.uk
www.westlandhotel.co.uk

They all have great locations are reasonably priced and have a nice ambience for the price.

Good luck!

OReilly Oct 24th, 2006 04:10 PM

I stayed at the Millenium Knightsbridge (Sloan Street) a few months ago and was very impressed at 150 GBP per night. MY room was very nicely decorated (Napoleonic style), spotlessly clean, excellent service and you just can't beat the location:

http://www.millenniumhotels.com/MCIL.nsf/lu_hoteldoc/40$$hotelDescription

I stayed at the Millenium Glouster a couple of years ago and also found it very acceptable (only 100 GBP per night), but not quite as nice as the Knightsbridge one.

Definately try priceline - most bidders appear to get 4-STAR hotels for less than 100GB.

penel523 Oct 26th, 2006 08:59 AM

What do you want to do when in London? That will help determine where you should stay. We have often stayed in Bloomsbury--in fact, just got back from a stay there--and find it serves our needs the best. It's easy walking distance to most of the things we like to do, including theaters in the evening. I stayed once in the Kensington area and regretted not being in Bloomsbury, because it wasn't walking distance from the theater--so I'd end up having to take the subway or bus back in late afternoon before cleaning up and then taking subway or bus back to the theater in the evening.

We stayed at the Thanet Hotel in Bloomsbury, http://www.thanethotel.co.uk/, which a friend had recommended. It was fine and serviceable, about 100 pounds plus tax. Included breakfast. TV &amp; hairdryer in room, as well as electric kettle. Nothing fancy, but--as I said--serviceable. I'd stay there again. Also in the same area, St. Margaret's is good. We've also stayed at the Tavistock.

MFNYC Oct 26th, 2006 09:57 AM

&quot;reasonable&quot; means different things to differrent people. Also, are you looking for a single, double, family room, etc?

janisj Oct 26th, 2006 10:01 AM

Since the OP hasn't been back to give us any more details - it really sin't possible to give her useful advice. judyumcer - are you out there?????

jblack44552 Oct 26th, 2006 10:12 AM

Check out the Amsterdam Hotel on 7 Trebovir Road in Earls Court. Very convient to Piccadilly Circus and all the monuments. Its on the direct line from Heathrow airport. The rates for a room run about L82.00 per night. They also have flats available at about L125.00 per night. All rooms have micro waves, coffee makers, irons etc. And rates include continental breakfast.

judyumcer Nov 26th, 2006 10:31 AM

Yes, I am out here. Actually live in Las Vegas. This will be our 1st trip to London and 5th to Europe. It will be for my husband and I. Great location; I am told to get a place somewhere near a tube station. Price, maybe no more than 250 US $ a night with breakfast. By the way, not to be dumb; but what is an English breakfast? How is it different than an American breakfast? I would like a nice hotel like the Inter-Cont in Istanbul or the National in Moscow both of which we have stayed. We stayed in a dump in Lisbon which was rated 5 stars and an inexpensive hotel in Barcelona (2 stars) which was very, very nice. Since we will be there for 5 nights; we want comfortable beds. Our bed in Rome was the pits! Another 4 star hotel. We stayed in Paris at the Hilton which was expensive and very &quot;American Holiday Innish&quot;. And we stayed at a Holiday Inn in Florence that was very nice! So, go figure! I think janisi mentioned that the area called Victoria was nice. Any recommendations for that area? We have sooo many hotels in Veags and 95% of them are more than very nice. But, London, we don't know. Thanx everyone!

walkinaround Nov 26th, 2006 11:15 AM

&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;
By the way, not to be dumb; but what is an English breakfast?
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;

the standard 'full english' = eggs, toast, bacon, sausage, beans. depending on the hotel or B&amp;B you can also get some other bits like kippers, black pudding, or fried bread.

it's good but very greasy and you can start to feel death coming on if you have it more than a couple of days in a row. eggs are often deep fried. best to approach with caution.

Carrybean Nov 26th, 2006 01:30 PM

If you're flying into Gatwick, Victoria Station is where the train will take you. There's a hotel near there that lots of people recommend (name escapes me.)

Here's the link for the previously mentioned Rembrandt Hotel. It's a great location near both S. Kensington tube station &amp; the Knightsbridge station. Directly across from the Victoria &amp; Albert. A great location:

http://www.sarova.co.uk/hotelcollection/rembrandt/

Carrybean Nov 26th, 2006 01:35 PM

It came to me. Rubens at the Palace.
It's near Victoria &amp; I've read several people's great reviews here.

http://www.rubenshotel.com/

marymarra Nov 26th, 2006 02:41 PM

I am one of the people giving good reviews to the Rubens (great location--literally next to Buckingham Palace, very comfortable rooms), but you'll need to see if you can get within your budget--we were there in October of last year and got a great rate on their website--www.redcarnationhotels.com, but note the best rate may be nonrefundable, which we were fine with, but it depends on your tolerance level for that kind of thing; our rate included a very nice breakfast buffet; as I'm sure you know, London is expensive (and doubly worse for Americans), but if you shop around you can find something nice.

Mary in D.C.