Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   London Hotels (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/london-hotels-204001/)

Ron Apr 22nd, 2002 07:25 PM

London Hotels

What is the best hotel in London to stay in that is closest to all the sites? And if it is close to the underground that would be great too.

ron Apr 22nd, 2002 07:30 PM

The Savoy.

xxxxx Apr 22nd, 2002 08:26 PM

I hope this is a joke!!

Carla Apr 23rd, 2002 03:12 PM

Glad to hear the Savoy is best. We are pinching pennies on our upcoming trip to London so we can spend our last night at the Savoy. I hope it is worth staying in a potential flea bag and eating street vendor food everywhere else!

xx Apr 23rd, 2002 05:32 PM

It ( Savoy) is old and dowdy...try 1 Aldwych

good Apr 23rd, 2002 05:36 PM

What about the Claridge? or Langhams?

Dave Lederman Apr 29th, 2002 07:02 PM

Can anyone give a recomendation of a hotel either near the underground or near the sites?

erineb Apr 29th, 2002 07:47 PM

hi,<BR><BR>I would like to make a recommendation. I recently came across a great special on a four star hotel in london that is also in a great location. it is unusual to find this type of special and i recently posted about it here.<BR><BR>the kensington moat house hotel in london is offering a special, their standard room for 70 pds per night per room. you can book a single, a double, a double twin, even a quad family at that same price per room.<BR><BR>the location is great! 1 block from the albert and victoria, within walking distance to major shopping areas. this area is south of hyde park. a major tube station is only about a block away. (3 lines stop there) and the victoria station is within walking distance. <BR><BR>the hotel, a victorian style, was renovated a few years back and is in good shape.(as of 2001). the baths are full baths and the rooms are large with plenty of extra area. from a review i found on eopinions, they have a nice size lounge and bar. cost of full breakfast and tax are included in price, however the hotel does not have a full restuarant. you can however order in from many restuarants in the area. from that same review there are are so many great restuarants in the area to choose from within walking distance that it is not a problem.<BR><BR>the special is on the standard room, but the deluxe room is also reduced to about 100 pds per room also. as to the time period for the special? it looks like the may,june july may already booked for those rates, but august,september, october, and november still show them as of yesterday.<BR><BR>check out the following link:<BR><BR>http://www.moathousehotels.com/html/frameset_top.cfm?section=leisure&content=bookhotel &HotelId=39<BR><BR>the site even has a 360 tour. when you want to check the prices click on book and put in the dates. it will return with all the rates for that day and you will see the 70 pd rate along with their rack rates and other room rates<BR><BR>I have already reserved mine for october and so have several others. <BR>I will be honest with you and tell you I was trying to find a rate around 50 pds for myself going solo this year. when looking at the location, the amenities, the room sizes, everything added up to where I do not mind paying that extra 20. I couldn't pass this up. buses run right in front of the hotel. the tube stop a block away. the area. i can't find a reason not to grab this special.<BR><BR>I am sure you can find better hotels (that recommendation of the savoy), but you can't beat this price and location on a 4 star hotel for 2 or more people.<BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR>

Tony Apr 30th, 2002 01:41 PM

Any 5 star hotel in the Mayfair area would qualify.

Dave May 2nd, 2002 06:47 PM

Any opinions about the plaza on hyde park? Near sites and the underground?

Linda May 4th, 2002 04:43 AM

I just returned from a visit to London and stayed at the Cumberland Hotel at Marble Arch based on a co-workers recommendation. <BR><BR>The hotel is undergoing renovations so it is offering reduced rates. The renovations in no way impacted me - my room was fine (and breakfast was included - nothing fancy: cereal, juice, rolls, yogurt, coffee).<BR><BR>The location was wonderful. The hotel was actually connected to the Marble Arch underground station which is right on the central line. <BR><BR>I bought a 4 day visitor travelcard and got anyplace I wanted to go within 10 to 20 minutes or less (take a look at a tube map). <BR><BR>The Marble Arch Station was closed one afternoon due to fire, and it was only about a 10 minute walk to the Bond Street Station.