Reload this Page >

London hotel with atmosphere for 100 pounds

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30th, 2001, 11:22 AM
Nicole

I'm looking for a nice hotel in London with some character and atmosphere (not motel-like) that is clean and comfortable, located in a nice central neighborhood. Preferably a three-star for around 90-110 pounds. I've searched this board, and a hotel fitting that description in London seems a little hard to come by. <BR> <BR>If you have a recommendation for me, please describe the hotel, room, location and what you liked and/or didn't like. Also, if you have the hotel's web address, that would be most helpful. <BR> <BR>Thanks, <BR>Nicole <BR> <BR>

Old Apr 30th, 2001, 11:39 AM
s.fowler

Now that I've stopped laughing. [It's because otherwise I'll cry..] London is very expensive and the little hotels we all love in Paris for well under $100. just plain don't exist in London. <BR> <BR>Having said that we've opted for spotless, threadbare and exceedingly well run by staying at St. Margaret's on Beford Place. No charm, no chic -- but immaculate and an excellent management. We got a double this trip for $90 USD -- bath down the hall. [Not my choice, bu it was all that was left.]

Old Apr 30th, 2001, 12:04 PM
Nicole

S. Fowler, <BR> <BR>Thank you for the response, but I am actually willing to pay 90-110 pounds (around $150 USD)...not $90 USD. Even so, I know I'm going to have a hard time. But I just want to clarify my price range for others.

Old Apr 30th, 2001, 12:29 PM
michele

Nicole, <BR>Try The Pavillion on West Sussex garden. <BR>It's small,each room is decorated in a different theme (ours was Highland Fling--plaid everywhere. Others were Honky Tonk Nights, Secret Garden, Enter the Dragon, you get the idea). We had a miniscule bathroom(shower and toilet--sink in the corner of the room). Continental Breakfast served in your room. It was around 90 pounds.The other place I like for about the same price is The Lime Tree Hotel. It's near Buckingham Palace on Ebury Street. More conventional decor (floral), brighter bathroom in the room, English breakfast. Also, Ebury Street has some lovely shops and there is a good wine bar right next door to the restaurant. <BR>I am pretty sure both of these spots have websites. <BR> <BR>Michele

Old Apr 30th, 2001, 12:46 PM
Beth Anderson

how about Radisson Grafton near the Warren Tube stop? <BR> <BR>I stayed there in March with a friend, I think he paid around 100 pounds or so (his employer covered it)

Old Apr 30th, 2001, 12:54 PM
Sue

Try www.londontown.com for hotel specials. You would never get the Radisson Grafton for 100 GBP unless there were a special, but Londontown seems to have them a lot.

Old May 2nd, 2001, 12:15 PM
Nicole

Thanks everyone for your responses so far. Does anyone else out there have recommendations? <BR> <BR>Nicole

Old May 2nd, 2001, 12:33 PM
carol

Delta online has some good air/hotel packages and so does go-ahead.com

Old May 2nd, 2001, 01:28 PM
Eugene

Nicole <BR> <BR>Try St. Giles. (www.stgiles.com). It's a big three-star hotel, near the British Museum. I stayed there a few weeks ago, and liked it (small room was the only minus). If you reserve through their website, expect to pay around 79 pounds/night for a double (for a three-star hotel, it's a bargain!). <BR>E-mail me if you have further questions.

Old May 2nd, 2001, 03:27 PM
Jody

When are you going.The place we have stayed at for years is rather more expensive, but they are runing a special in sept. We asdore it and have just booked in again , I don't even remember how mant times we have stayed theres.I'l send website if you are interested. Usually 135-160 pounds, but with 20% off its in your range

Old May 2nd, 2001, 11:17 PM
Philip

You might want to consider the Russell Hotel in the Bloomsbury section. It is a Victorian hotel overlooking Russell Square and within walking distance of The British Museum. The Picadilly Tube Line is directly behind the hotel. (The Picadilly Line will bring you from Heathrow to the Russell without any transfers). It is a 3 star hotel and I think is owned by Camelot International Hotels. Their website is www.camelotintl.com.

Old May 3rd, 2001, 06:52 AM
cindy

A few years ago I stayed at a hotel called Durrant's - and I'm sorry but I can't recall the address. At the time, and this may have changed by now, it was 99 pounds for a double room. It was lovely, very well located and had beautiful rooms although they were not particularly large. I wish I could supply more helpful detail but very likely there's a website somewhere!

Old May 3rd, 2001, 07:23 AM
Curt

the Morgan Hotel in Bloomsbury will fill the bill...nice and probably right around 70-90 pounds for a double with a very nice breakfast. Nice rooms and a great location right next to British Musuem. <BR> <BR>Morgan Hotel <BR>24 Bloomsbury Street <BR>London WC1B3QJ <BR> <BR>02076363735 <BR> <BR>This family owned and operated hotel is very popular have to book FAR in advance to get in

Old May 3rd, 2001, 07:38 AM
Anna

We enjoyed our stay at London Guards hotel, which is one block north of Hyde Park, about 3 blks from Lancaster Gate tube station. Big rooms, big bathroom with tub, high ceilings and 110 pounds for 3 of us. I'm sure it would be less for just 2.http://www.demon.co.uk/hotel-uk/guards.html

Old May 3rd, 2001, 08:21 AM
Stefania

try the Westbourne hotel <BR> <BR>http://www.hotel-london.co.uk/site/h...hp?hotel_id=80 <BR>they also offer last minute rates <BR>the hotel is new and in a nice area

Old May 3rd, 2001, 08:22 AM
just

Michele - we stayed on Ebury 4 years ago. I don't remember there being many shops then, other than a travel shop, the wine bar, a fish and chips place, and a convenience store nearby. Just wondering if I missed something, or has the area really blossomed? Of course, Victoria Station is nearby with its shops. Thx.

Old May 3rd, 2001, 09:17 AM
Stefania

The area around Victoria Station has blossomed indeed in the last few years. It has more to offer to visitors, excellent restaurants and also nice little shops. <BR>This streetfinder may be v. useful while in the process of chosing the area <BR>http://www.streetmap.co.uk/

Old May 3rd, 2001, 01:41 PM
Natasha

I quite agree on the St-Giles Hotel. The rooms are very small but very clean. Anyway,you are supposed to be out of your room when you're in London. The health centre and the pool have been recently renovated and the guests can access it free of charge. It is very centrally located : you can walk to Soho, Picadilly circus and you are within walking distance of all the theatres. Just as you leave the hotel, you are at the beginning of the huge shopping street : Oxford Street. I strongly recommend that hotel. If I would be a bit negative, I would complain about the breakfast (nescafé instead of real coffee for instance ...) but nothing seriously damaging your stay. <BR> <BR>Hope it helps.

Old May 6th, 2001, 11:12 AM
natalie

Be sure to try Hotel!Hotel! in London. <BR>Tel 011-44-1372-46-44-88 web page dialspace.dial.pipex.com/hotel.hotel or e-mail [email protected] <BR>They offer great discounted room rates in london for 3 to 5 star hotels. They have saved my husband and I hundreds off nice hotel rooms the past few years. <BR>We were abe to get the Browns hotel this past year at a 70-90 pound per night discount. They can't be beat. Found out about them through Consumer Reports Travel Letter. Hope this helps!