Search

London Hotel Walking Distance to Theatres-Suggestions Appreciated

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27th, 2013, 04:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
London Hotel Walking Distance to Theatres-Suggestions Appreciated

The history:

we have been to London in the past and prefer to stay within farily easy walking distance of at least some of the theatres. The whole National complex we realize is "across the river" and that's OK

In the most recent past we have either rented a flat in Covent Garden (with mixed results) or stayed in the Covent Garden Hotel (CGH) which we like. The CGH is not cheap and they rarely seem to have any sort of breakfast-included rate (for the prices they charge you'd think they would, but no; and no, we don't mind going elsewhere for breakfast if it seems worthwhile).

We are probably gonna do the London (and Scotland) thing next year so I'm starting to contemplate a <B>possible</B> alternative hotel. I've read the TripAdvisor reviews (with the usual degree of objectivity required) and of course have heard about the small rooms, the dated furnishings, the "boring bar" as well as the accolades from those who have decided a place is worth it because, to quote one, "Well, it IS the Savoy after all."

We are not against taxis; we are not against The Tube; we are not against being somwhere there are tourists.

Perhaps this whole thing will end up being academic or rhetorical but if anyone has any suggestions/thoughts then I'm all ears and thank you.
Old Mar 27th, 2013, 04:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is a place I would like to stay. I love Soho and there are good places to eat nearby like Polpo, Mildred's and Boca di Lupo.

www.deanstreettownhouse.com
Old Mar 27th, 2013, 05:02 AM
Original Poster

Traquin, thanks for that link. I love the fact that they tell you they have both "tiny" and "small" rooms, too. I will check it out further.
Old Mar 27th, 2013, 05:08 AM

We stayed here in October. Not our first choice and we paid too much (IMO) but the hotel was quiet, the breakfast was excellent and the location was ideal for walking to so many places. I do not know when we have been anywhere so perfectly located for where we wanted to go.

http://www.thistle.com/en/hotels/uni...gar/index.html
Old Mar 27th, 2013, 05:23 AM
Original Poster

Socialworker, when you say "we paid too much" do you mean that overall this place is over-priced? you should have waited for some sort of deal? the place seems to have met all your expectations but I am getting the impression you feel that it wasn't worth it. I am NOT disagreeing, just trying to get a better sense of things. Thanks.
Old Mar 27th, 2013, 05:40 AM

I like the Mountbatten at 7 Dials, great theater location. I think it's still a part of the Radisson Edwardian group, you can sometimes get offers/packages. And yes, the rooms are small. I think they also have a hotel in Leicester Square.

I love the Chancery Court but very expensive, haven't stayed there since I was on company time or using points. Very large rooms.
Old Mar 27th, 2013, 05:46 AM

We could have gotten a deal during the summer, (after I had already booked) when I saw it on TravelZoo, but that would have required a non-refundable payment, which I just won't do.

We paid ~$1300 for 4 nights and we could have paid $800 on the deal. Yes, I guess I also think it is overpriced, but I had not been in London for a LONG time, so I do not know current prices. (We tried for the Morgan, a favorite on this board, but it was booked and the location here at the Thistle, is much better, IMO, esp if you want close to theaters) and as it turned out, it was a really pleasant and really quiet place that was a 60 second walk from all sorts of places....And you are correct, it really did meet and exceed my expectations. The room was very small--perhaps the smallest I have had in Europe--but very pleasant.

I guess it is knowing that we could have paid less is the main thing that left me feeling that we had over-paid. Also (completely my choice) we paid for our arrival day to assure access to our room immediately. So that was ~$300 and that was fine b/c it was my choice but I got the impression when checking in at 7:00 AM that they had rented that room out the previous night and had put us in a room that was vacated very early by another traveler. While I know that should not bother me, since I got what I paid for--immediate access--it felt like "double-dipping" on their part and left me wondering if we could have had access w/o paying the extra night.....

Sorry if this is TMI!
Old Mar 27th, 2013, 05:59 AM
Original Poster

Socialworker: <B>not at all</B> and this is exactly the kind of information I was looking for (you and I think a lot alike, BTW) including the stuff about paying for a room to be guaranteed ready and what really probably went on behind the scenes.

It is funny I suppose the things that are off-putting. For example, I was REALLY put off when someone at the Covent Garden front desk tried to pull the "we can't charge you in local currency" routine and this immediately after I had <b>said</B> to this person that I did not expect to be put through the dynamic currency conversion "opportunity."

Demanding to immediately speak with a manager brfought about a truly miraculous change in behavior but things like this become enmeshed in one's memory.
Old Mar 27th, 2013, 06:46 AM
Original Poster

TTT
Old Mar 27th, 2013, 08:36 AM
Original Poster

Topping once more
Old Mar 27th, 2013, 09:23 AM

We like the Club rooms at Millenium Gloucester Hotel in South Ken. It is directly across from the tube wich goes direct to Leicester Sq and Covent Garden.Club rooms are moderatly large and club rooms have free internet ,full English breafast, the kounge is open all day for teo and coffee and cookies and there are lovely Canapes and wine or beer at 6pm free of charge.The staff is very accomadating and transportation options great Many fine places to eat in walking distance.
Old Mar 27th, 2013, 10:20 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for that additional suggestion. I will check it out.