Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   London Hotel w/2 Children (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/london-hotel-w-2-children-408958/)

AmyLynne Mar 9th, 2004 03:41 PM

London Hotel w/2 Children

I'd like to stay near a tube stop in London this summer with my 2 children (15 yrs. and 7 yrs). My budget is about $300 per night. Any recommendations are appreciated!

It seems when I put "3 people" or even "2 adults and 1 child" into most reservation systems, I get put into a fairly large room and the price goes well over $400 per night at most 4-star hotels. Are these out of my league?

If so, if you are aware of a nice, safe hotel near a tube stop pls. advise.

Suggestions are greatly appreciated!!

djkbooks Mar 9th, 2004 04:18 PM

The better bet for booking family rooms is to phone, fax or e-mail the particular hotels you have in mind.

Or, give Thistle Hotels a call. This is a somewhat moderately priced chain (with excellently located and appointed hotels), and rates are typically quotes including all taxes AND breakfast. You can check reviews of their properties at TripAdvisor.com

WillTravel Mar 9th, 2004 04:30 PM

Novotel would probably work. They allow two adults (you and the 15-year-old), and one child under 12. There are two I know of in London: Waterloo and Euston.
There might be other options too: check http://www.accor.com

A cheaper option that is a few blocks away from the tube (but with very convenient buses right in front):

http://www.comfortinnvx.co.uk

If they are running a special, the price is very reasonable.

rj007 Mar 9th, 2004 09:53 PM

AmyLynne,

If you go to thread #54 London Trip Report, you will see my post about a great B&B. While it is not centrally located, the tube stop North Harrow is literally a 3 minute walk around the corner. The triple rate is 55 pounds which includes a full breakfast. The rooms are ensuite.

Tara and Bruce Muldoon will make you feel right at home. In fact, I feel that I am just visiting very good friends when I stay there. Paying just 55 pounds will definitely save quite a bit of money for you. While it may not be as luxurious as a 4 or 5 star hotel, it suits me just fine. I don't come to London to hang out in a hotel room. And when you turn out the light the rooms look pretty much alike. Saving money on hotel costs is one of the reasons I can make multiple trips to Europe and other places.

MFNYC Mar 10th, 2004 04:35 AM

Here's a trhead about rooms for 4 in London (do a tec search on 'London and quad' for additional threads). It these places can accommodate 4, I'm sure they can 3.

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34455329

bellairegirl Mar 10th, 2004 06:00 AM

AmyLynne: How long will you be staying in London? If it's for a week (or longer), you might want to consider renting an apartment. You should easily be able to find one in your budget and then you'll end up with a kitchen, washer & dryer, etc., all of which are invaluable when traveling with kids.

I've rented before with londonguestsuites.com. You might want to take a look at their site. It details the distance of each apartment from a tube stop.

Susan

janis Mar 10th, 2004 09:00 AM

I usually recommend a flat when you are traveling with kids. More space, a kitchen and a washer/dryer are really good to have for a family. You can rent an apartment even if not staying a full week. Many rent by the night, or have a 2 or 3 night minimum.

WillTravel Mar 10th, 2004 09:06 AM

Another place that's been mentioned here is Dolphin Square.

grayer Mar 10th, 2004 10:38 AM

My family and I (4 adults) stayed in a London flat last March that I highly recommend. It was located in Kensington and was a couple of blocks (5 min walk) to the tube station. You can look at the apartment at londonperfect.com. Since our stay, Madelyn and Philippe have expanded their rentals to include several London properties. The one we stayed at is called The Cornwall. I believe the nightly rate now is just under $300/night in high season. If memory serves me correctly their rates include all taxes and fees. The apartment was wonderful! We hated to leave as it was much nicer than our own apartment and the location was superb. I haven't seen the other London apartments they rent, but I have no doubt that they would be just as great. The apartment slept 4 adults max. and had a small, but well appointed kitchen with high-end appliances including dishwasher, full-size frig/freezer, convection/microwave oven and cooktop. There was a washer/dryer, master bedroom, courtyard, living room with a sleeper sofa and a full bath. We couldn't believe how nice everything was. What a reality check when we got back home!

I can't wait to go back for another visit and will definitely stay in one of Madelyn and Philippe's London Perfect rentals. In fact, we enjoyed their London apartment so much that when we go to Paris, we hope to stay at one of their Paris Perfect apartments.
BTW, we are not affiliated with them in any way.

AmyLynne Mar 10th, 2004 11:44 AM

THANK you all who've posted so far with ideas and responses. I'm going to spend some time over the next week researching all of these options. I'm sure I can come up with something.

I'm so grateful for your responses!! Thanks!!!

AmyLynne

KidsToLondon Mar 11th, 2004 09:53 AM

AmyLynne,

You might also try the Holiday Inn Mayfair--they have "American-style" hotel rooms that allow kids to stay in the same room as parent(s). Cost for a stay in July is £120-180.

This modern, highrise city hotel is within a block of the Green Park Tube stop, in a good area of Mayfair, just a block north of the Ritz hotel (in which you probably WON'T find a room for less than $300/night!) You can walk to Green Park, Buckingham Palace, etc. from here.

Dave White
[email protected]

AmyLynne Mar 11th, 2004 10:14 AM

Thanks to all...

After checking out all of these options, I decided to go with a 2-bedroom apartment in Mayfair for about $300 a night. I think this is a great option for us given the size and the facilities it offers, and I wouldn't have given this serious thought without your suggestions.

Thanks again!! AmyLynne

bellairegirl Mar 11th, 2004 10:37 AM

Have a great trip! Your kids will love London. Mine enjoyed it so much, we've already planned our return trip for June.

It will be great to be in an apartment. Aside from the amenities and the space, it gives the kids a sense of "home" and a feel of their own neighborhood. The first thing my kids asked me when they found out we were returning is whether we will be staying in the same apartment.

Susan