Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   London Hotel that Meets my Quirks (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/london-hotel-that-meets-my-quirks-656900/)

CubFanAlways Nov 4th, 2006 05:57 PM

London Hotel that Meets my Quirks

There are 80 million hotels in London and I’m looking for the ideal one! The one that meets my quirks. Any thoughts on one that meets the following criteria?

To get the most number of recommendations, I’ve tried to limit the important things, and emphasize the things I don’t care about.

1) Location. Somewhere in zones 1 or 2, but not Kings Cross. I’ve stayed there and it’s too creepy at night. Other than that, I don’t care.

2) Comfort. I want a nice, comfortable bed. This is the big “must have.” One that is not three inches thick, or is simply a box spring, but no mattress. (Done that!). I’m not one who says “but you only spend time asleep in the hotel.” Those eight hours will determine how well the following sixteen go.

3) En-suite, and if it’s only a shower, that’s fine.

4) Breakfast included? Nice, but no too important.

5) Decor. Really don’t care.

6) Price. Ah, something I do care about.. Under 50 pounds or 100 dollars. A low season rate, I suspect.

As you can see, I want to be comfortable sleeping. If I have a nice fluffy bed and a good price. After that, I really don’t care about much else.

Okay, Carrybean, I’m counting on you to be the first responder!

NeoPatrick Nov 4th, 2006 06:46 PM

I'm still waiting for the "quirks". These all seem like pretty normal requests to me -- or actually less quirky than most of us since you don't really care about decor and aren't picky about location. The price may be the most difficult quirk, however.

TaniaP Nov 4th, 2006 06:50 PM

I have just made a reservation at the Luna and Simone for a week in February. It's in Pimlico, near Victoria Station. I haven't stayed here before, but it gets great reviews on tripadvisor. A single is 50 GBP per night, including ensuite and breakfast, so within your price range. Worth a look...

Tania

janisj Nov 4th, 2006 07:33 PM

Well that narrowed things down a bit - <u>not</u> :)

As NeoPatrick says, nothing you mention is the least bit quirky and there are a couple of hundred properties that would meet your needs. I'd personally be MUCH more selective re location, etc.

No need at all to venture into zone 2 unless you find a special place. And there are other areas I'd definitely avoid besides KingsX

In your price range I'd look in Victoria/Pimlico, Bloomsbury/Russell Square, and South Kensington.

Carrybean Nov 5th, 2006 02:39 AM

Dang, Cubfan I was all set to recommend the Stafford to you - great beds, linen sheets (at least when I stayed there a long time ago) until I got to your price.

Carrybean Nov 5th, 2006 03:11 AM

I found some that meet your price range &amp; the beds look like what you describe rather than the thin mattresses that are sometimes available. Don't know how reliable Londonnights is but check it out.

http://www.londonnights.com/

radiofanatic Nov 5th, 2006 03:14 AM

my dh and I (and dh is fussy about hotels) loved the Cordova House Hotel which was about 2-3 blocks from Paddington station and was a great neighborhood and easy access. I know they have a website. Check it out! And if you stay there, go to Le Mitre pub - it was great!

Carrybean Nov 5th, 2006 02:55 PM

Or maybe a B&amp;B?

Carrybean Nov 6th, 2006 01:57 AM

By the way, is this for a single or a double?

travelbunny Nov 6th, 2006 02:48 AM

..for a great location (bloomsbury- Gowere St) and your price range- Ridgemont (?sp) Hotel. a family run hotel more really a B and B.

CubFanAlways Nov 6th, 2006 03:11 PM

Okay, substitute for “quirks” for “criteria”. I listed them because I know what it's like to read a post that says “Would like a nice London hotel” or “reasonably” priced. The responders are left saying, “C’mon, help us help you.” Glad I’m less quirky than I thought.

I pointed out the things I don’t care about because on this forum, and Tripadvisor as well, someone complains about how the carpeting didn’t match the wallpaper. I didn’t want such non-issues (to me, anyway) to be considered. Meanwhile, I’ll check out the suggestions given.

Just me, Carrybean, to answer your question.

Thanks everyone.

kmg21 Nov 6th, 2006 03:59 PM

I just stayed at the Travelodge Marylebone last week. Was lucky enough to get their &pound;26 per night rate and that was for a double room. One block from Marylebone tube and train station (Bakerloo line, zone 1). No breakfast but the room was large, ensuite (tub/shower combo), with desk and chair. Bed was good with a great cozy comforter. For some strange reason I had problems sleeping when I was in Ireland but slept great at this Travelodge! I didn't explore the neighborhood much but as a single woman felt very comfortable there. The train station has ATMs, a Burger King, a Marks &amp; Spencer food store, and a number of other conveniences. At &pound;26 per night, I would definitely stay there again!