Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > London hotel suggestions please, budget $300 or less/night

London hotel suggestions please, budget $300 or less/night

Jul 14th, 2010, 04:11 PM
Original Poster

London hotel suggestions please, budget $300 or less/night

My husband and I will be in London for 4 nights in October. We've been to London twice before although the last time was in 2001. Two of the major things we're interested in seeing are the British Museum and the Victoria and Albert Museum.

Our hotel budget is max $300 per night. I don't care for modern decor, would like something more charming. I'm considering The Academy and Harrington Hall both of which are around $225 a night and the Montague on the Gardens for about $250.

Are these in good locations? Comments or suggestions of other hotels to consider would be very much appreciated!
Jul 15th, 2010, 03:32 AM
Original Poster

Anyone?
Jul 15th, 2010, 03:53 AM

You could consider this hotel near Victoria Station. Richard www.limetreehotel.co.uk
Jul 15th, 2010, 04:21 AM

Close to V&A Millenium Baileys might suit. I often get excellent prices there on Londontown.com.

An excellent B&B nearby is Aster House. Good breakfast and lovely rooms, more like a small hotel than a B&B.
Jul 15th, 2010, 04:24 AM

I have stayed at Harrington Hall and the Montague on the Gardens. H.H. is now run by NH Hotels and the rooms have seen better days. Great location, however.

Montague is across the street from the British Museum. Very "British", lots of chintz, great staff. Part of the Red Carnation Hotels group which generally garner very good reviews.

For charming, go with the Montague on the Gardens.
Jul 15th, 2010, 04:38 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestion Richard! Oddly enough we stayed at the Lime Tree on our first London trip 28 years ago. I can see by the pictures that it's much nicer now. But we're really interested in staying in a different part of town this time.

Avalon, the Millenium Bailey's looks great and it's on the lower end of our budget which is always a plus. Thanks!
Jul 15th, 2010, 04:39 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Weekender, that's just the kind of info I'm looking for.
Jul 15th, 2010, 04:53 AM

A few thoughts:

1) When are you going? Weekend or midweek? If it is the weekend, then some of the business hotels will tend to have good rates - maybe not charming, but a deal is a deal.

2) Given the V&A and British Museum, you won't be spitting distance to both, so decide upon if you want to be close to one, close to nightlife, or in between.

3) Any chance you would use Priceline? You could likely get into something decent for $100 per night.

4) Of your choices, I would vote for The Academy.
Jul 15th, 2010, 05:01 AM

We stayed in June at Russell Hotel, just 2 min. walk from British. It is located in Russell Square, near Russell Square tube station on Piccadilly line (so you can easily come by tube from airport.
The room was big enough, we asked before our arrival, by email, to have a refrigerator in it (as not all the rooms have one). The breakfast was very good and the decoration in restaurant, lobby, stairs, are very nice.
We payed 150 GBP per night; we stayed 4 nights.
Jul 17th, 2010, 09:02 PM

I second avalon's recommendation for Aster House B&B. We have stayed there twice in the last 3 years, and absolutely loved it both times. It is in a lively and interesting neighborhood, but tucked away just enough so that it is peaceful and quiet -- and always a pleasure to return to after a long day. And within a 10-minute walk of the V&A museum.
http://www.asterhouse.com/

Search this Thread