Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   London hotel room with grand view (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/london-hotel-room-with-grand-view-377338/)

judybarnes Nov 18th, 2003 04:29 PM

London hotel room with grand view

I am considering splurging on a hotel room with an awesome view for our 3-night London stay at the end of March. Seems to me I read good things about the Marriott County Hall in Southwark. In addition to a view, I'd like convenience to public transportation and some sights within walking distance. Ideas?

vcl Nov 18th, 2003 04:41 PM

Haven't stayed there, but if you can get a Thames-side room, the view has to be incredible. Also a short walk across the bridge to Houses of Parliament and Westminster Abbey and tube connections all over.

I envy you.

mdtravel Nov 18th, 2003 04:45 PM

Not sure what ideas you're looking for, but I've stayed there with a view of Big Ben, Parliament and the London Eye. It was a pleasure to cross the Thames each morning to go to the tube stop, after grabbing a cup of coffee of course. Stay there...that's my idea.

janis Nov 18th, 2003 04:48 PM

The County Hall Marriott is in a great location both for touring and for the view.

Another hotel w/ a fantastic view is the Thistle Tower. It is right next to the Tower of London and has amazing views of Tower Bridge plus St Katherines Dock. But it not as central so not as convenient for most tourist attractions.

judybarnes Nov 18th, 2003 05:11 PM

Thank you, all, for your replies. Janis, thanks for reminding me about the Thistle Tower. I'll explore that possibility, too. I'm off to tripadvisor to check it out!

GJ40 Nov 19th, 2003 12:16 AM

We stay at Marriott County Hall every time we go to London. It's a great hotel and the view is outstanding. In addition to the view from the room, the first/last sight of each day is Big Ben & Parliament. Also, it's much roomier than typical European rooms. It's a short walk over the Westminster Bridge to the nearest tube station.

GJ40

travelingtedrows Nov 19th, 2003 06:15 AM

One of my friends is staying in January at the Thistle Royal Horseguards. Through their webpage, she was able to get a riverview room at a very nice rate. I think she said the room even has a little sitting area to view the Thames. It's a first rate Thistle. Not a lot of nightlife in Westminster but it's a quick walk to Charing Cross and the Strand. It's very centraly located for tourist activities.

Check it out. We stayed there once and were treated like Royalty.

judybarnes Nov 20th, 2003 10:40 AM

Royal Horseguards--wow! And it's so central. To get a room with a view is expensive, though. I'm willing to splurge, but because we need two rooms, a splurge can get high for my budget.

I wonder what 4* hotel I'd get from Priceline in the Westminster and Mayfair/Soho districts. Meanwhile, I'm keeping my eye on the Thistle web site bargains.

Thanks for the tips. i love this forum!

EBJBJR Nov 20th, 2003 11:32 AM

I tried Priceline.com after reading this message board and biddingfortravel.com. We got a room at the Marriott County Hall for next week for $90.00 a night. Much less than many other hotels of the same quality.

I will let you know how our "Priceline" room was upon return, if you are interested. I can't wait to find out myself!

judybarnes Nov 20th, 2003 04:40 PM

EBJBJR, when you bid, you don't know which hotel you'll get in that area, do you?

Did you specify 4* in Westminster? There must be lots of them. You really got lucky. You might not get a Thames-view room, but if they're not busy, maybe they'll upgrade you for free!

mjz Nov 20th, 2003 04:54 PM

Judy - Have a blast! I stayed at the London Marriott County Hall for six nights last year over Thanksgiving...you will absolutely love it.

Cheers!
Matt