Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   London hotel recommendations (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/london-hotel-recommendations-152567/)

Saffa Jul 30th, 2001 03:14 PM

London hotel recommendations

Two of us are heading to London September 1st for the first five nights of a two week visit to England/Ireland...and I've yet to make hotel reservations (could be problematic I realize). When I asked a travel agent about recommendations, she said, "Just book something online." I've also asked about particularly good parts of London to stay in and have been told, "they're all great." But I find that a good recommendation can make a good trip great! I understand that I should temper my expectations and not base them on US standards, but if a good room for a relative price, in a good location is out there (which I've not doubt it is) I'd love to hear about it....thanks to any and all feedback. (All other recommendations for restaurants and must see's welcome, too.) <BR>Cheers! <BR>Saffa <BR>

JOdy Jul 30th, 2001 03:21 PM

saffa, <BR>It might help to know what your price range is. Do you want charm, or just a place to lay your head? i love S Ken and have stayed in that area for years and years, others have their favorites, we need mor info on what you want and what you are willing to pay for it

Thyra Jul 30th, 2001 03:32 PM

I have found the Rants and Raves section of this forum invaluable in choosing hotels. Based upon the excellent reviews I've read I am planning on booking the London Elizabeth for our Spring trip. To get there, go back to the home page and click on the link next to the Travel Talk link..specify hotels. <BR>The places I have stayed before have been the Admiral... which is near Hyde Park but had little charm and rooms that I would dub small even though I am used to European hotel rooms. <BR>I've also stayed at St. Margarets many years ago and enjoyed it, though now, I like to be near Hyde park for my morning run. Good Luck!

Saffa Jul 30th, 2001 03:38 PM

Jody...good point...I guess I'm not familiar enough with the price ranges but is $150 (US) an average or is that too low to be starting? I don't need anything too fancy, but if it's dreary and dingey like some of the reviews of the Strand I read...I know that will impact my stay... <BR> <BR>THANKS!

Mel Jul 30th, 2001 07:28 PM

Saffa: I've booked frequently through hotel-assist.com. Once you've made your selection, you're dealing directly with the hotel. I've never had problems and now that I've found a few favorites, I book on my own. I agree with Jody--South Ken is my preferred area.

Surlok Jul 30th, 2001 07:59 PM

Mine, too! Much better than Knightsbridge, Mayfair, or Picadilly Circus. Just make sure that your hotel in near a tube station. <BR> <BR>Have a nice stay in London <BR> <BR>Surlok

Linda McIlwain Jul 30th, 2001 08:04 PM

Go to the nearest bookstore and look at the Michelin guide for hotel ratings. I think it is called the green guide. They have so many guides with colors, i.e., red, blue, green. They are "The Best" for rating hotels IMO and they are right on the money. Some of the lesser known ones won't be in this guide. You may want to look at a B & B guide. B & B's tend to be more affordable outside the city. The Hyde Park area is pricey because of location. <BR>We stayed at the London Hilton, which was rated five star by Michelin. Of course it depends on your budget. We were on our honeymoon and we got a package deal for 2 weeks that included full formal English breakfast with white tablecloth, china, crystal, and silver and the works. The restaurant overlooked Hyde Park and we reserved our window table the day before. Dress was casual though. We paid $280 U.S. per night and that included our formal breakfast. This price included a huge discount due to construction in progress for 2000 celebration. <BR>The Green Park Hilton on Half Moon Street is not air conditioned although Michelin says it is. The bed sank to the floor and our view was of the alley. Look at the room when you arrive and make sure it meets your needs. Fortunately, our friends had stayed at the London Hilton and we walked right over there.

j Jul 30th, 2001 08:33 PM

I just discovered www.sawdays.co.uk,actually shows many places to stay B & Bs or Hotels. may be worth checking out will give you good idea of price range. Joyce

joe Jul 30th, 2001 09:37 PM

<BR>We enjoy Park International near Harrod's

Tom Jul 31st, 2001 01:25 AM

Saffa, <BR> <BR>Try the Londontown.com website. They list hotel specials. We used them for a Christmas 2000 stay at the Hampshire Hotel on Licester Square. The location is one of the best. Recently they had rooms for 149 pounds per night including breakfast. That's not bad for a 5 star.

Julie Jul 31st, 2001 04:56 AM

I'm particularly fond of the Bloomsbury area but that's because of my interests (theatre and museums) and because I like the option of walking everywhere. However, South Kensington is great too (stayed there on my first trip). I think the $150 is reasonable enough for both of those areas. I was turned on to a new website for hotels in London: www.smoothhound.co.uk and they usually give a nice cross section in addition to helping you select places by areas. Good luck!

Muriel Jul 31st, 2001 12:38 PM

When you've decided on your hotel, check out 'www.superbreaks.com". If you find your hotel listed there, you can book on line(secure site), get instant e-mail confirmation, a written confirmation from the hotel within about five days, and best of all a super discount. We booked for the Bloomsbury hotel, advertised cost one hundred and thirty five pounds, with continental breakfast. We got it from Superbreaks for ninety-five pounds with full English breakfast. The Ramada Renaissance at Gatwick airport is listed at one hundred and thirty-five pounds, and again, we got it for one hundred and five pounds through superbreaks, again with full breakfast. <BR> <BR>Good Luck. <BR> <BR>Enjoy London. <BR> <BR>Ask your travel agent about a travel card for use on the tube and buses. If they can't help, be sure to buy a one day (or two or three day) card the first time you use the tube. Saves lining-up and is much cheaper! <BR> <BR>Muriel

Linda Jul 31st, 2001 01:41 PM

I second the suggestion for www.smoothhound.co.uk. I used this site extensively when I lived in England and never found them to steer me wrong. As a matter of fact, I found my two favorite English hotels thru them. They have pictures of the hotels. The only drawback is that not all hotels have links to a web site. If nothing else, though, they all have phone numbers. A very good, very large data base of hotels upon which to draw.

Saffa Jul 31st, 2001 04:25 PM

You've all been so helpful and I'm thoroughly excited about our impending trip. This site has been invaluable because of the ability to share personal experiences not just what you read about on the Web and in books. I think we've decided on the London Elizabeth Hotel (got excellent "Raves") and I'll report back when we've returned. Any other feedback on good experiences (or bad ones) with restaurants or specific tours is always welcome. I'll keep checking back! <BR>Cheers to all!