Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   London Hotel Pre-Pay Question (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/london-hotel-pre-pay-question-253751/)

Bree Aug 28th, 2002 05:54 AM

London Hotel Pre-Pay Question

I am going to London in October. I have a room reserved for my young son and myself. <BR>I have been watching the prices get higher and higher and I am thinking of going ahead and paying for the hotel now, so I won't have to worry about it then. And to be sure the hotel does hold the reservation.<BR> I am staying at The Gallery in So Kensington.<BR>Has anyone done this and do you think it is a good idea? Thank you very much.

janis Aug 28th, 2002 07:25 AM

I don't understand your question - presumably when you booked your room you were quoted a price and that should not change.<BR><BR>Do you mean the exchange rate between the $ and &pound;? The &pound; did rise fore a few months but now is back down near $1.50 to 1 &pound;. The exchange rate could go up or down between nor and Oct. But in any case the difference would only be pennies.

spoon Aug 28th, 2002 08:03 AM

Bree<BR><BR>Who are you booking through? Direct with the hotel?<BR><BR>If you are booking through a wholesaler they may have a penalty clause covering themselves on currency fluctuation...

Bree Aug 28th, 2002 02:50 PM

Hi,<BR>Thank you for the response. I booked two rooms, myself, by phone last spring. <BR>I called and spoke to the hotel today-they are extremely nice and helpful-and they said there is no problem with the reservation,( I had heard that some one on here had a problem with the hotel honoring a reservation) and the price had indeed increased due to the dollar/pound changes. I decided to change the rooms, taking a triple.That is 160 pounds or $250.USD.<BR>I will wait to pay when we are there, I was advised that you never know what might happen and it is better to have the money in MY bank account than in the hotels:)<BR>Thank you,<BR>Bree<BR><BR>

currency Aug 28th, 2002 07:10 PM

651 USD = 1000 UKP<BR><BR>

Correct Aug 28th, 2002 07:18 PM

1,535 USD will get you 1000 UKpounds

confused Aug 28th, 2002 08:34 PM

Bree,<BR> I somehow don't get it...are you saying the hotel actually quoted you different and higher rate? Or are you saying you recalculated the cost to you, based on the same rate? I've never heard of a hotel rate fluxuating with the exchange rate though of course that does affect how much you will ultimately pay. Please clarify if you can. Thanks.

janis Aug 28th, 2002 08:48 PM

Confused: Me Too. From Bree's 2nd post I take her mean the hotel is converting the rate into $ for her. The room rate hasn't actually gone up but the exchange rate has. <BR><BR>Bree - the price of teh room is not changing. The $/&pound; rate fluctuates day to day. The small change in the rate would not make a very big difference. Did you change your room reservation simply because of a small difference in the exchange rate. <BR><BR>Your room is fairly expensive - if budget is important, you can get a VERY nice room in almost any area of London for much less than you are paying.