London hotel near pubs

Aug 3rd, 2014, 06:57 PM
Original Poster

London hotel near pubs

I'm going to London for four days in October with my husband and two of his soccer buddies (long story about how this came about). Last time in London, we stayed in Kensington and thought it was a great location. This time, I thought it would be nice to stay in a different area, just to have a different experience. But my husband doesn't like the idea. One of the things he liked about where we stayed was that there were pubs nearby (really, though, there were only three).

My sister suggested the area near the Liverpool Street Metro station. Husband was skeptical. One of his soccer buddies, who has never been to London, just wants to be near pubs. I would like to be near pubs too because I'll probably be heading back to the hotel earlier than they will.

All of which is a long way to ask this question: What would be a good area of central London for us? We'll be hitting a lot of the top tourist attractions, so that is a consideration, as is being close to a Metro station.

Thanks for your help!
Aug 3rd, 2014, 07:37 PM

>>Liverpool Street Metro station<< No 'Metro' in London. Either the tube or Underground . . .

Actually most any place in central London would have many pubs w/i walking distance. I personally wouldn't stay near Liverpool Street -- not because of danger or anything but it is a fairly long way from many places you'll want to visit.

Last time did you stay in Kensington or in South Kensington? They are different neighborhoods and Kensington is less central.

What is your budget and are you looking for a hotel or a rental flat?

But honestly - pubs are a dime a dozen they are everywhere.

(If your husband was very happy where you stayed last time -- It must have been nice enough.)
Aug 3rd, 2014, 08:06 PM

"pubs are a dime a dozen they are everywhere. "

As are tube stations.

Finding a London hotel not near pubs and tube stations is as unlikely as finding one in an unsafe neighbourhood.
Aug 3rd, 2014, 11:00 PM

There are pubs and pubs. Are we talking old-fashioned pubs with a "neighbourhood local" feel, no piped music or TV screen and no corporate chain flimflam; or somewhere with non-stop soccer on the TV? You'll find examples of all of those in most places.

If these are the deciding factors, set your husband and his friends loose on http://www.beerintheevening.com/ and http://www.fancyapint.com/ so they can narrow it down to a few areas first.

Once they've done that, then get together and check on the map for public transport and ease of access to the other things you want to do.
Aug 4th, 2014, 03:18 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your suggestions, especially Patrick for these websites. I realized after I posted that it probably wasn't a very smart question because subway stations and pubs are everywhere. (No offense intended by use of "Metro" -- I guess I use the terms interchangeably.)

And you're right, Janis, it was South Kensington.

I guess what I really should have asked is what another good area would be for us. We liked the convenience of South Kensington, but I might prefer something a little less residential, if that makes sense. But I preferred the area over the Victoria Station area, though I couldn't quite say why. Perhaps a bit too commercial. Maybe a sort of happy medium between the two?
Aug 4th, 2014, 03:21 AM
Original Poster

And to answer Janis' questions, we would like to stay in a hotel, in the $150-$200 range. (Not sure how that translates into pounds.) And I was kind of getting the same idea about the Liverpool Street area, partly because it seems to be mainly office buildings.
Aug 4th, 2014, 03:59 AM

What about the Premier Inn at Bankside? It's south of the river but right beside a good riverside pub The Anchor and near borough market.

http://www.premierinn.com/en/hotel/S...borough-market

There are tonnes of options - premier inn or holiday inns may be in your price range. Just make sure you don't pick one way out or you will waste a lot of time and money commuting in. Stick to zone 1 near the river.
Aug 4th, 2014, 04:13 AM

Also watch out with "subway". You will see notices, but a subway just takes you under a busy road,
Aug 4th, 2014, 05:25 AM

>> because subway stations and pubs are everywhere. (No offense intended by use of "Metro" -- I guess I use the terms interchangeably.)<<

Nope - try again As MissPrism says a 'subway' in London is an underground pedestrian walkway. You mean the tube or the Underground

$150 is about £90. That is low for London. $200 = a little under £120. You can likely get something decent for the upper end of your budget. Try the Premier Inn jamikins suggests and others (Premier Inn County Hall will be over your budget but others will run less). Also try Travelodge -- a cheaper chain and couple of their properties are OK.

Use Londontown.com , plug in your dates and see what you can find. You might want to look in the Bloomsbury/Russell Square area where there are several budget notes near the British Museum. Lots of pubs in the Bloomsbury/Holborn/Fleet Street area. Travelodge Covent Garden is in a terrific location w/ MANY pubs nearby - actually nearer to Holborn than Covent Garden
Aug 4th, 2014, 07:04 PM
Original Poster

Excellent, advice, everyone. First I'd heard about subway meaning a pedestrian walkway. Tube/ Underground from now on, I promise!

I'm going to explore the options you offered, and I'll probably have more questions. If anyone thinks of anything else I should consider, please let me know.

Thanks so much for your help!
Aug 4th, 2014, 08:37 PM

The Sanctuary House Hotel is upstairs from a pub (with good food, too) and about 100 yards from St. James Park tube station. Both the pub and hotel are very nice. It is part of the Fuller's group, which has at least two other pubs in London that have hotels upstairs, one being The Mad Hatter which is close to Borough Market.

Several Fodorites have stayed at The Sanctuary House and written favorable reviews of it. When I stayed there with my niece, I normally was in our room much earlier than she was. She made friends in the pub easily.
Aug 4th, 2014, 09:27 PM

Sorry - Sanctuary House is great, but it is well over the OP's budget. They do have one class of rooms @ about £170 but they book up early. Most of their rooms run over £200 a night.
Aug 5th, 2014, 12:14 AM

The Rathbone Hotel is in a very nice area, close to Charlotte Street and walking distance to Soho for many pubs/restaurants. It is convenient for tube stations eg Goodge Street or Tottenham Court Road. It is on a quiet corner, but slightly over your budget. Your budget is a bit too low for London.

http://www.rathbonehotel.co.uk/

This pub is very close to the hotel, it has bags of character and there are several like it in the area.

http://newmanarms.co.uk/pub
Aug 5th, 2014, 05:45 PM
Original Poster

I've booked the Mercure London Bloomsbury hotel in Holborn. Please say only positive things about this choice! It was $200 a night, which became $250 after taxes, etc. I think we'll enjoy the location much more than South Kensington.

Thank you all very much for your help!
Aug 5th, 2014, 05:58 PM

>>Please say only positive things about this choice!<<

OK

Actually I don't know the hotel at all except for location . . . Which is excellent. It is close to both the Russell Sq (Piccadilly line) and Holborn (Piccadilly and Central lines), and the British Museum.
Aug 5th, 2014, 06:41 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, Janis!
Aug 5th, 2014, 06:55 PM

I too don't know the hotel but the location is very good. The hotel is on busy street, so ask for a room facing the back and on an upper floor to avoid hearing street traffic. and as in many London hotels housed in older buildings, the rooms will vary in size, so if you don't like the room ask for another. If you want, one of your party can go and look at the room before taking up the luggage.
Aug 5th, 2014, 07:08 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Maxima. I booked through Hotels.com, and it's no refundable, so I think I'll have little choice. But I'll be sure to ask for something away from the street.

New question (sorry if this isn't following protocol): What do you think of the British Museum? I was just starting to check it out, since we'll be so close, but I thought you all might have helpful opinions. At a quick glance, it seems to be sort of a natural history museum. Just not sure what to expect -- and how to convince my co-travelers that it's worth a visit.
Aug 5th, 2014, 07:53 PM

>>What do you think of the British Museum?<<

Probably the single most famous museum (and one of the largest) in the world.

>>At a quick glance, it seems to be sort of a natural history museum<<

Nope - that would be the . . . ta da . . .Natural History Museum (In South Kensington). The British Museum instead is all about human history and the cultures on every continent.
Aug 5th, 2014, 11:28 PM

>>and how to convince my co-travelers that it's worth a visit<<

You could show them the Museum's own website: http://www.britishmuseum.org/

Or, if they're more keen on pubs, why not park them in the Museum Tavern while you enjoy the Museum? You could do the same sort of thing for virtually any of the great museums and art galleries.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO