Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

London Hotel: I want to walk to the National Gallery

Old Jan 1st, 2006, 09:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am very excited to be planning my first trip to London! I will be stopping there in March (on the way to Italy) to visit with friends, and in addition, my number one priority is to visit the National Gallery. I am not necessarily insisting on being within walking distance, but since a visit there tops my list, I would love to find a great hotel convenient to the Gallery.

I have been doing lots of research, here and especially on Londontown.com, but have come up with a long list of Thistle Hotels, for the most part.

Any recommendations?
I know nothing about London, so if my thinking is out of whack, tell me!

Old Jan 1st, 2006, 09:54 AM

Your budget? Taste? How long will you have in London?
I find it an easy walk from the NG to the Marriott County Hall (or vice versa). And if you have a Thames side room at the Marriott, you get a terrific view of the Houses of Parliament, etc. It's right by the London Eye, in case you want to do that as well.
The Sofitel St. James also is an easy walk from/to the NG. Rooms from £120. Very well reviewed on Trip Advisor. But it's hard to recommend hotels without some more information about the kind of hotel you'd like and your price range.
Old Jan 1st, 2006, 10:02 AM

I have stayed in a few of the 4* Thistle hotels, and generally have been happy with them.

The Selfridge
Thistle Hyde Park
Royal Horseguards

I'd rate the Hyde Park the best of those 3, followed by the Horseguards. I didn't consider the Selfridge anything particularly special, but I did book it purely for its location as I was on a shopping trip.

You'll get good reviews for the Horseguards (probably the best location for you - more or less opposite the London Eye and a pleasant walk along the Embankment) on this website if you search, but you may be looking at 3* in which case this post is irrelevant!

Post back with your budget details and you may get more help.
Old Jan 1st, 2006, 10:05 AM
Original Poster

Whoops. I have been here long enough, I should have known better to include that information.

Budget...£150 max

Style: I suppose I don't know enough about the types to answer that honestly; I don't mind chintz. I don't mind hip. I look for comfort and cleanliness above all, and am used to tiny European room standards. Ensuite bathroom (not crazy about the sink in the middle of the room) would be nice, and since this is my first time in London, I think a helpful front desk would do me a great deal of good!

I will be in London 3 nights!
Old Jan 1st, 2006, 10:05 AM

echoing the above post to get a reply that meets your priorities/tastes rather than the posters you need to expand in your budget / preferences.

Most of the hotels around Trafalgar Square are large Thistle / Raddisson style 4 star type hotels.
In the immediate vicinity within walking distance there is a Citadines aparthotel with studios and apartments at comparable rates.
At the budget end there is very little apart from the infamous Regents Palace Hotel by Piccadilly Circus
Old Jan 1st, 2006, 10:06 AM

I got my hotel in London via Priceline and got the Thistle Charing Cross, which is very close to the Nat. Gallery. The hotel was only $125 with taxes and is a very nice place to stay. Of course if you do Prieline, you may not get this exact hotel, but if you select the right area then you should be able to get a hotel close to the gallery. Check biddingfortravel.com, as they provide advise on how to bid properly on priceline.

Monica
Old Jan 1st, 2006, 10:08 AM

The Thistle Royal Horseguards would be a good option and Londontown seems to have good rates. Here's a list of hotels I found near Trafalgar Square which is where the NG is located

http://www.aboutbritain.com/Accommod...lgarSquare.asp
Old Jan 1st, 2006, 10:32 AM
Original Poster

The thing about the Thistles is that the reviews are so up and down on Trip Advisor! It is hard to get an accurate consensus...

The Sofitel St. James looks wonderful, but where did you get that rate? It is a shame londontown.com does not seem to book with them. I will try hotels.com or expedia, I suppose...

Thanks for the suggestions!
Old Jan 1st, 2006, 11:01 AM

The Thistle Trafalgar Square almost adjoins the National Gallery. It seems to get bad press, but I have stayed there twice, but I found it perfectly acceptable. The location is priceless. Steps to Leichester (spelling?) Square and the theatres. The rooms are of an average size for London and the service is fine. Just a bit dated.
Old Jan 1st, 2006, 01:00 PM
cod

I agree with going places. I have stayed in the Thistle Trafalgar twice, and it's fine, and just around the corner from the National Gallery. The Thistle Picadilly is just up the street, and it's also fine, especially for 3 nights. Also, the Thistle charing Cross is just across Trafalgar square, and so within a five minute walk. So whichever of those hotels yopu get cheapest, just take - they are all suitable. I've stayed in the Citadines in Northumberland Ave too, and (maybe because we had a bigger number, and so needed more space) thought it expensive. Though if there are more than 2 of you,and you all want to be together, the Citadines is the best place. Good luck.

Old Jan 1st, 2006, 01:58 PM
Original Poster

It seems that all roads lead to a Thistle in London!

It is good that I have at least five to choose from. Funny, Trafalgar has the worst reviews on TripAdvisor, Charring Cross has the best. It is hard to believe that they are the same chain....

Thank you all for the continued advice!
Old Jan 1st, 2006, 02:27 PM

You can easily walk to the National Gallery from the Devere Cavendish, which gets good reviews on Tripadvisor. Their rack rates are well over ₤150 per night, but you can get a discount by booking through British Airways Holidays (www.baholidays.com) Ė and you donít need to book a flight on BA to get the discount. Weekend rates seem to be lower than weeknight rates.
Old Jan 1st, 2006, 02:52 PM

I punched in a few different March dates for the Sofitel on their web site, www.sofitel.com and got rate quotes from £120 to £175. Hotels.com might be able to find you a better rate.
Old Jan 1st, 2006, 05:37 PM
Original Poster

I would love to stay in the Sofitel or the Cavendish! I had seen both in my research.

I just need to search harder for a discount...
Old Jan 2nd, 2006, 11:45 AM

Don't know about the other hotels mentioned... but if you choose the Sofitel St. James be prepared to have breakfast someplace else. Continental breakfast is 19 pounds per person!(or at least it was 2 months ago.)Great hotel in great location. (Actually we had breakfast at the National Gallery.)
Old Jan 2nd, 2006, 11:47 AM

PS Have you been to the National Portrait Gallery just behind the National Gallery? My husband and I spent almost an entire day there.
Old Jan 2nd, 2006, 12:34 PM

Remember that London is a greta place to walk. The Montague on the Gardens is a nice hotel by the British Museum - which itself is within walking distance of the National Gallery - nice stroll through Covent Garden. Am staying at the Renaissance Chancery Court next week (No 2 Hotel on Tripadvisor) for 4 pounds over yoru budget - it's at Holborn and walking distance
Old Jan 2nd, 2006, 03:03 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for two more great suggestions! I am looking at hotels that are within a mile's walking distance...I am from New York, so I am quite used to walking!

I see that the National Portait Gallery is not too far...I may pop in there as well!
Old Jan 2nd, 2006, 04:42 PM

As a fellow New Yorker, and as someone who has stayed at the Montague on the Gardens (which wombat7 recommended), I would say that the distance from the hotel to the National Gallery is definitely walkable -- it's probably just about a mile.

I've stayed at the Montague once, about two years ago, and liked it well enough that I would stay there again. It's often available on londontown.com, but I've noticed that you can get just as good, or even slightly lower, rates by booking on the hotel's website, www.redcarnationhotels.com. (It's part of the Red Carnation Hotels chain.)

The National Portrait Gallery is right around the corner from the National Gallery, and you definitely shouldn't miss it (it's probably my favorite museum in London). I would suggest that the best way to approach it is to pick a time period you're interested in (the portraits are grouped chronologically) and concentrate on that period, rather than trying to do the whole NPG on your first visit.

wombat7, if I may ask, where did you find that great rate at the Chancery Court?

Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 01:11 PM

Bree - sorry for delay in responding - was through a Marriott's promotion. When I went to check out it was almost cheaper - they inadvertently had me down as a stay two nights pay for one - so the original bill I was given was GBP320 (plus tax) for 4 night accomodation!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information