Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   London hotel for 80 pounds (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/london-hotel-for-80-pounds-19393/)

Bob Walker Dec 7th, 1997 09:45 AM

London hotel for 80 pounds

We are staying 2 nights in London and need a good, clean hotel handy to the theatres and easily accessed from Heathrow. Suggestions as to the area of the city we should look in or a hotel recommendation around 80 pounds would be great.

Thanks.

Debbie Kitzke Dec 14th, 1997 11:58 AM

Not sure how close it is to the theater area, but the HARCOURT HOUSE is only a few blocks from Victoria Station, and I booked it for my stay in March for 68 pounds a night.

Tricia Dec 15th, 1997 10:05 PM

For the fun of it you can try www.eurotrip.com-on the home page there is a locater box at the top of the page. Type in London and hit enter and a list of hotels will come up for that city. You can make reservations, see photos, get prices etc. Also good selection of pensions in Europe in this website. Another good website is Europe through the back door meaning "cheaply" try www.ricksteves.com. Lots of info. His books are good too.

Claire Harrison Dec 26th, 1997 04:46 AM

Re hotels in London. We were in London from Dec. 7-12 and stayed at the
Royal Adelphi at 21 Villiers Street. Ph: 0171-930 8764, Fax: 0171-930 8735--we did our reservations by fax) The cost is 75 pounds and includes a continental breakfast-up 25 pounds since our stay five years ago. Beware, London is expensive!! It's a 3-star hotel, slightly dingy and with no elevators, but clean, well-managed and across from Charing Cross tube and train station and a few steps from the Embankment tube station. If you get a room that faces the back it's very quiet which is important since Villiers St. is very busy. This hotel, by the way, is also just across from Trafalgar Square which has the National Gallery and about five-ten minutes walk from Covent Garden. It is, of course, easily accessible from Heathrow since it's so close to the tube stations. The tube trip from Heathrow into center London is about 40 minutes. You have to change lines to get to Villiers and we did the change at Hammersmith, which meant just walking across the platform with our bags, rather than at Picadilly which required stairs, escalators and ramps. This was recommended by our hotel manager and was greatly appreciated. Good luck!

barbara Dec 26th, 1997 09:39 PM

From what I've read and heard, a wonderful hotel in the middle of London is Manzies. I heard of it from this forum, and I wrote them. It's 50 pounds for a single, so don't know how much more for a double. All rooms are en-suite, and it is located in Leicester Square, right by the theatres, and very close to everything else. That way you also save money transporting yourself in from wherever else one may stay. I had read a few people on this forum mention that it is worth the extra money to stay central.