Reload this Page >

London Hotel for 1 adult with a 13- and 14-year olds in Kensington area

Notices

Old Nov 17th, 2012, 10:02 AM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am looking for a hotel in London, preferably in the Kensington area, that can accommodate an adult with two children (ages 13 & 14--best friends) in one room. I am open to other areas if there are great suggestions. I'm mostly concerned with convenient location, near a tube station with good restaurants and shopping nearby. I am trying to stick to $250/night max, but can increase if needed.

Right now I'm looking at the Rembrandt Hotel and Harrington Court Apartments, both near the South Kensington Tube -- the hotel has the advantage of breakfast and a helpful front desk to make reservations, etc., but the apartment will give us more space and perhaps I can save some money by doing a few breakfasts (or lunch) in house. With two giggly girls, perhaps the space is more important.

If anyone has other hotel suggestions, comments on either the Rembrandt or Harrington Court (which I found on an earlier Fodors Forum -- thanks!!!) or other convenient, fun areas of the City you think I should consider, I would be most appreciative. I will happily provide a review of our trip (Oxford, London, Cardiff and our splurge at Cliveden House!) on our return.
Old Nov 17th, 2012, 10:50 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just returned from a stay at the Raddison on Cromwell Road, very near the Gloucester Road station. It was nice, and met your rate, but I just had a small single room and didn't choose the breakfast option. (I saw it though -- a big nice-looking buffet with all the trimmings, but pricy.) There was also a Best Western about a block away on Cromwell Road.

Between the two hotels, at the same corner as Gloucester Road station, there is a large grocery, a nice little breakfast place (french pastries and really good coffee), and a couple fast-food type places. There are quite a few restaurants and small shops on Gloucester Road north of Cromwell road.

This may also be true of the South Kensington tube stop area, I don't know.
Old Nov 17th, 2012, 11:22 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm looking too! Same price range and also traveling with two teen girls (+ husband).. However, we are looking in a different area.

Here are some possibilities in Kensington that may work for you:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/VacationR...n_England.html

http://www.flipkey.com/london-condo-rentals/p341006/

http://www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p1009050

http://www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p423614

Good luck!
Old Nov 17th, 2012, 11:29 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
And yes, trust me on this .. you will want space when traveling with two energetic girls! They may want to stay up giggling and chatting all night, so the extra space of an apartment and possibly their own bedroom will be much better.

It's definitely within your budget. Hope you find something wonderful I am looking forward to your trip report.

When are you going? We are going in May, and I'd love to hear how your girls enjoyed it and what activities they liked. I am also curious about Cardiff!
Old Nov 17th, 2012, 11:44 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here's another. 5 minute walk to the tube too.

http://www.aplacelikehome.co.uk/l280...bqxeqipxf.aspx
Old Nov 17th, 2012, 11:50 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree with capxxx's recommendations; either the Radisson or Best Western on Cromwell Road are good choices. I'd also say that the Marriott would be another. I was just living in that area 3 weeks ago, a minute's stroll from Gloucester Road Station, which has 3 train lines meeting there that will pretty much take you anywhere you need to get to. South Kensington Station shares the same lines so that's also a good station to be close to. The area, including Holland Park, is very convenient.

Cromwell Road is full of all sorts of hotels and you may find cheaper ones which are perfectly OK, though many have a reputation for small rooms and smaller bathrooms, so perhaps stick with a known name that's within your budget.
Another nice hotel on Cromwell Road, close to Earls Court Station (also very convenient with lots of shops and restos around) is The Rockwell, where I've stayed at before and loved it. http://www.therockwell.com/
Old Nov 17th, 2012, 12:06 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was going to post "Is there a reason you want Kensington?" but read further and found you are actually asking about <blue>South </blue> Kensington which is a more convenient area than Kensington. (For both transport and actual location)

Any hotel near the Cromwell Rd or South Kensington tube stations would be very convenient.
Old Nov 17th, 2012, 12:11 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Meant to add - "Kensington" is generally between Holland Park and Kensington Gardens. South Kensington is a different neighborhood south of Kensington Gardens/Hyde Park and on three tube lines.
Old Nov 17th, 2012, 02:05 PM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you for the suggestions! Jinky, the apartments all require a 7 (or 5) night stay. I've written two of them, but am not counting on their allowing exceptions.

Please keep recommendations coming! I've contacted the hotels on Cromwell that were suggested, but it does not appear that either has a room suitable for 3 people on the dates I need. I'll wait to hear...

P.S.--FYI, we are going in mid-April -- I'll provide a report when we return! The Cardiff part is a day-trip (maybe one night) to see the Dr. Who exhibit, just my daughter and me. She's a huge fan
Old Nov 17th, 2012, 10:48 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ah, ok. I didn't know how long your stay was I'm not sure why I said we were going in May .. I meant March. Actually March 30 - April 2nd.

Now I am wondering if maybe we should also just get a hotel.. and perhaps that is why many of them are either not getting back to me, or are booked. Hmmmm. Still, a hotel room just seems too small for two adults and two teens. Suites and/or having to pay for two rooms is just out of our budget. :/
Old Nov 17th, 2012, 10:49 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
moosebear! We love Dr Who. Oh, yes, please include that in your trip report. Also, please let us know what you find out with the hotels, as we may need to do the same.
Old Nov 17th, 2012, 11:02 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow. I just checked the Radisson, and for a "Family Room" (4 people), it's $1,709 for 3 nights.
Old Nov 17th, 2012, 11:10 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Park Grand London Hyde Park is $218 a night, much better - but just a regular hotel room with two double beds. I was hoping we could find an apartment for that price.

We've got wonderful, large apartments for the rest of our trip (7 nights in Paris and 5 nights in Amsterdam) - No problem with those. However we're finding it much harder to find a suitable place (within the rest of our accommodation budget) in London. Perhaps we should have *started* with London as opposed to spending so much in Paris. Ah well. live and learn!

Ok, sorry moosebear for taking your thread! Just seems like maybe we could be looking for close to the same thing now..
Old Nov 17th, 2012, 11:33 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's the Easter weekend so hotels are bound to be busy with holidaymakers and families.
Some uni accommodation may be available in the area as it's during Easter vacation, though Imperial College in South Kensington only let out in the summer.
Old Nov 18th, 2012, 07:10 AM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Jinky, look at Harrington-Court.com for apartments almost directly across from the S. Kensington tube station. They were recommended on a different thread (as were Avni apartments.) I'm leaning toward staying there -- no breakfast, but very reasonable and helpful to work with. I think we may stay there. If you search "london apartments" in Forums on this website, you'll find a recent thread looking for apartments in S. Kensington or Nottinghill -- she posted a good review. Good luck!

Amy
Old Nov 18th, 2012, 01:16 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We stayed at the Rembrandt this past January and loved it. The staff was more than accommodating, it was clean and there was a full breakfast, which was very good. It connects to a spa and, for a nominal fee, you can enjoy the facilities for the day. There are several restaurants on the same road within walking distance. I felt very safe walking around the area, especially at night. It is directly across from the Victoria and Albert Museum and there is a Cabbie’s Tea Hut across from the front entrance. The South Kensington tube station is about a five minute walk to the hotel. This station serves the Piccadilly, Circle and District Lines. We enjoyed our time there and thought it was very convenient for our sightseeing.