Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   London hotel & Wimbledon tix (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/london-hotel-and-wimbledon-tix-591632/)

BayView Feb 16th, 2006 08:23 AM

London hotel & Wimbledon tix

My husband & I are spending 5 nights in London in July. My first visit, his second, and I intend to do the touristy things. I just reserved at both the Marriott Park Lane and the Marriott Grosvenor Square using Marriott points. Any advice as to which hotel to select?

Also, I just realized that Wimbledon will be going on while we are there. Any advice on a reliable source to obtain 2 Centre Court or Court 1 tix for Men's quarterfinals or Men's Last 16?

janisj Feb 16th, 2006 09:26 AM

Fist of all I would change to the Marriott County Hall if I could.

If the two you mentioned are your only choices I'd probably take Park Lane.

As for Wimbledon - you want a pretty tall order. Center Court and Court 1 tix will be very expensive from any ticket agent.

You can get into the grounds and outer courts by just going and queueing up on the day.

BayView Feb 17th, 2006 11:13 AM

Thanks janisj. Why would you choose County Hall over Park Lane?

janisj Feb 17th, 2006 01:58 PM

Next door to the Eye, beautiful views of the river and Big Ben from most rooms, walking distance to all the south bank arts venues - just more of a memorable "destination".

obxgirl Feb 17th, 2006 02:50 PM

Further elaboration on Wimbledon tickets:

For most of the tournament, in addition to grounds tickets, there are a goodly number of tickets to Centre Court and Courts 1 & 2 which are held for sale on the day of play. That stops a few days before the end of the tournament. I'm sure the round of 16 would be in the window and possibly most of the men's Qtr finals.

That's the good news. The bad news is that people often queue overnight to get a chance to buy the show court tickets. Tons more queue very early in the day for the grounds passes. Any ticket involves A LOT of waiting in line.

m_kingdom2 Feb 17th, 2006 03:05 PM

Mariott Park Lane - try the Grosvenor House which is now run by Mariott. However, the position of both (Park Lane - just opposite ends) is excellent. Very central to all the attractions. As is Grosvenor Sq., just not such a good property.

County Hall is on the border really, and at night there isn't all that much there. You'll find yourself getting lots of taxis. There is only so much time that can be spent staring at The Eye.

Mayfair is very central, and you will not regret staying there.

janisj Feb 17th, 2006 03:15 PM

Do understand that m_kingdom practically needs a visa (the immigration permit - not the credit card) to enter other parts of London since he never leaves Mayfair/Knightsbridge. :)

Londonlover Feb 17th, 2006 03:43 PM

The ballot's already over, so you'd have to buy debenture tickets online or a package deal through a tennis tour company and it would cost you at least five hundred pounds for the two tickets.

Another option is to join the queue. Queue overnight for showcourt tickets or get there around 7AM and get grounds passes. At least three of the Men's R16 matches will be played on outer courts accessible with a grounds pass. But beware the second monday is usually the most crowded day at Wimbledon.

I looked inside the Marriott County Hall when I was there two years ago and it is a very very nice hotel. If money was not an issue that would be my first choice hotel in London.

m_kingdom2 Feb 18th, 2006 01:39 AM

"I looked inside the Marriott County Hall when I was there two years ago and it is a very very nice hotel. If money was not an issue that would be my first choice hotel in London."

Why on Earth would that be your first choice? Look inside Claridge's, The Connaught, The Savoy (which I went to recently, and was impressed by the service, and also a sense of nostalgia - not that much has changed over the decades), etc. etc. etc.

For BayView: print out a map of London with attractions on (I'm sure this can be found easily on the internet) and you will find that they are all closest to W1. County Hall will just add extra travelling time on to everything you do apart from The Eye.

Toucan2 Feb 18th, 2006 04:22 AM

I've stayed at the Marriott County Hall and it really is very nice. For the Touristy things you mention, it actually is pretty conveniently located. Walk to the Eye, Westminster Abbey, look at Big Ben out your window, etc. Even walking distance to St. Paul's Cathedral.

Of course, I like to walk a lot so I found plenty in walking distance. When things weren't in walking distance, easy enough walk to tube stations, grab a cab, etc.

That said, as another poster I think mentioned, in the evening, and even at breakfast, there didn't seem to be a lot of accessible dining establishments around. Maybe I missed them. I think there was a Fish around the corner. We aren't big nightlife people, and we were visiting friends so we spent a lot of evenings away from the area, so I'm not a best authority about this part. We did take a boat up the river to Canary Wharf one night for dinner in that area.

PS I've also stayed at the Savoy, a whole different kind of gorgeous, totally classy. More conveninent to me for things like the theatre.

BayView Feb 19th, 2006 08:06 AM

Thanks so much for the thoughts. It has helped me make my decision re: hotels.

As far as Wimbledon, what does a Grounds Pass actually allow you to do? If we will go for a Grounds Pass, we will probably make that decision when in London. Sleeping out to queue for tennis tix is not on my list of vacation adventures.

Londonlover Mar 15th, 2006 04:03 PM

sorry Bayview for the late reply but with a Grounds pass you can go everywhere in the Wimbledon grounds except Centre Court and Court 1 and 2. You will still be able to see R16 men's matches on the outer courts but you're out of luck for the men's quarterfinals. Joining the queue at 8 am should be fine if all you want is a grounds pass.

mk2, those hotels you mentioned don't have a view of the Palace of Westminster from across the Thames, that's why I would pick the Marriott

m_kingdom2 Mar 15th, 2006 10:59 PM

If you're picking hotels in London solely for the view then you're very misguided. London hotels are about the service, the history, the individual style, not the view.

If you're going to some seaside resort then the view is more understandable, but this is London, how long you can sit staring at the Palace of Westminster I am not sure.

alanRow Mar 15th, 2006 11:26 PM

Easy walking distance from County Hall

London Eye, Aquarium, Parliament, Big Ben, Westinster Cathedral, Whitehall, Downing Street, Cabinet War rooms, Trafalgar Square, National Gallery, National Potrait Gallery, Buckingham Palace, Somerset House. And of course the River Thames itself

Then right by Big Ben (couple hundred yards from County Hall) you have Westminister Tube Station with a direct & quick ride to The Tower of London, Tower Bridge, St Paul's Cathedral, Tate Modern, Globe Theatre, Science Museum, National History Museum, Victoria & Albert Museum.

so what's this about it "County Hall is on the border really"

m_kingdom2 Mar 16th, 2006 11:41 AM

On the border?

I've lived in London north of the Thames my entire life. If I cross the Thames - (for pleasure, not to travel to Kent and suchlike) to go to a destination over the river - more than a dozen times a year, it is a lot (I exclude Richmond/Kew, but then that isn't in London with its TW1 postcode). There are a few good restaurants in South London, but the rest of it in my eyes is rough, even Battersea which is probably the best address over the river.

Although, that said, County Hall is just on the border i.e. along the Thames, but still I'd never dream of staying there.

walkinaround Mar 16th, 2006 02:46 PM

i'm with m2k on this one. county hall is an ok location and i'm sure you won't be miserable there. yes, it is within walking distance of many things.

however, you can do much better for location. this part of the south bank is a wasteland. ok the london eye is there and there a million people waiting in queue for it, and the little booths selling film and hats to tourists. oh and london's worst street performers...those painted people that move when you give them money. i really don't like this area. it doesn't feel at all like a real neighbourhood. ok to pass through occasionally but why stay there?

the south bank is ok but the better part begins east of the hungerford footbridge...in fact, i wouldn't even stay in this part if i were a tourist. many people would say county hall is ok because you can walk to other areas but unless there is a real reason for staying here why not stay in an area that feels a bit more comfortable and at least has a local pub or a few restaurants.

if you were getting a great deal then go for it but all things being equal, i would never choose to stay around county hall.

cfs2035 Mar 21st, 2006 02:36 PM

On Wimbledon tickets, two years ago I waited in line for tickets the day of the matches. This was the end of the 1st week of the tournament (I imagine the lines get longer the second week). The first day we got to the queue about 7:30AM and the line was very short (admittedly, it was raining off and on the day and night before). We got seats to Court 1. The second day (a gorgeous, sunny day) we showed up around 11AM, walked right up to the gates, and got a grounds pass. The secret to the grounds pass is that, once you are inside, there is another ticket booth where they resell tickets to Centre Court and Courts 1 and 2 as people leave. So we spent a few hours at the outer courts (which are really fun because you are right next to the court - we watched Martina Navratilova and she would chat with us during breaks), then waited in line for about 20 minutes and bought a centre court ticket and watched the second centre court match of the day (which was Venus Williams getting upset).

It was a real thrill and I highly recommend it. If you're serious about doing it, though, I would recommend staying in a hotel convenient to the tube line that runs to Wimbledon, as that made getting up to stand in line much less painful.

john44 Mar 22nd, 2006 05:35 AM

'There are a few good restaurants in South London, but the rest of it in my eyes is rough, even Battersea which is probably the best address over the river.'

The above statement comes from somebody who obviously does not know south London Battersea the best area! what rubbish what about Wimbledon Village,Carshalton Beaches or Barnes ? are these rough areas ?

South London has numerous good Restraunts both expensive and cheap.

I would recommend you visit Brixton to see London at its vibrant Multicultural best. Or walk along the South Bank of the Thames. Obviously the West End is where most tourist want to go but apart from there North London is far rougher than the beautiful sunny South.

m_kingdom2 Mar 22nd, 2006 07:46 AM

When I talk about South London I refer to areas relatively near to the Thames (i.e. the divide), Wimbledon is so far out it really can't be counted. And I find it dull, drab, and terribly surburban there.

Battersea isn't bad, but just too wannabe trendy.

If you'd read my comment re Richmond, I shall now include Barnes in that too, but in my eyes I'd never associate them with London, to me they're out of London (technicalities aside).

john44 Mar 24th, 2006 08:40 AM

How can you say Wimbledon is not relatively near to the Thames it is approximately one and a half miles away.

Dull, drab and Surburban now you really are showing you do not know Wimbledon where are you refering to South Wimbledon ?

When you come out of the main line station turn right walk up the hill to the village where you will find numerous interesting shops and restraunts, they are not chain stores but small boutiques and antique shops.

Have lunch in the Hand in Hand or Crooked Billet two of the best pubs in London selling the locally brewed Youngs Bitter.

Walk on the common visit the Windmill and the Gardens of Canizaro House designed by Capability Brown. Have tea and scones in Canizaro House Hotel.

Visit the pupet Theatre, Wimbledon Theatre and the Tennis Museum. Have dinner at San Lorenzo Restraunt one of the best in London and incidentially Lady Diana favourite.

Dull, drab and surbuban never probably the best day out in London apart from the world famous sites.