Reload this Page >

London - Heathrow Transport

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27th, 2001, 09:40 AM
H.Kan

Any suggestions on the most economically, and safe, form of transportation for a family of 4 from Heathrow to London, and the approx. cost via taxis/trains/subway/etc.

Old Apr 27th, 2001, 11:18 AM
Lori

We just returned from London & Paris yesterday, and while in London used a marvelous driver service. Contact London Transfers at www.london-transfers.com. The owner is Ray Skinner (a delightful man as it turned out), his e-mail is [email protected]. For 4 people you cannot beat the price. He charged us 35 pounds and that was DOOR to DOOR with no hassle involved - that is per car, not per person so it's a flat fee. We were picked up at Heathrow and the driver (not Ray that time, altho he took us back out to Heathrow)was a well dressed, very pleasant gentlemen who met us when we came through customs holding a sign with our name on it. He drove a new Toyota van (it would hold 4 of you easily but I suggest telling them there are 4 of you to be on the safe side). The ride in was about 1 hour but that varies due to traffic. Ray picked us up for the return to Heathrow and again it was about l hour and was 35 pounds for the two of us. <BR>I would NEVER attempt public transportation with luggage and jetlag and besides you really can't do it for much less. Convenience is everything to us. Incidentally, the Heathrow Express train is 12 pounds per person and you still need a taxi after that unless you stay next door to Paddington Station. Please do not attempt the Tube with luggage -- lots of stairs and escalators and unless you have one tiny carry one it's pointless to do this in my opinion. <BR> <BR>Contact Ray and tell him Lori recommended him. We've used other driver services in the past but this time was the first with him, and it was a good experience and well worth the money.

Old Apr 27th, 2001, 05:01 PM

top <BR>

Old Apr 27th, 2001, 05:20 PM
Sue

Just an aside: the Heathrow express is free May 26-28 if you download a coupon at www.heathrowexpress.co.uk/specialoffers/usa <BR> <BR>We used it and took a cab the train station--no problem. The driver sounds like a really good deal, though.

Old Apr 27th, 2001, 05:29 PM
JOdy

The Heathrow expres train is great, but I guess that if there are 4 of you Ray would be much more economical. The one convenience of taking the express back to Heathrow for your returnis you cam check in and get your boarding passes at paddingtom. No wait in lines, no luggage to worry about. youmay want to do ray on the way in and the train on the way home. think that's probably what I'd do. The lines at Heathrow to check in can be horrendous!

Old Apr 27th, 2001, 05:43 PM
dana

returned from london 2 weeks ago, also a family of 4, we used swiss cottage cars,which came recommend from someone on this site. they were 25 pounds, they met use at the airport right after customs with a sign, they took us door to door. you have to call them a few days before you arrive. i can't find there number at the moment i will keep looking and will post again with it

Old Apr 27th, 2001, 06:00 PM
dana

telephone number for swiss cottage cars calling from the us 011-44-207-431-2700

Old Apr 27th, 2001, 06:48 PM
Amik

As mentioned above, nothing can beat that unique british "Airport Taxi" service! We used 2 companies last year and were happy. <BR> <BR>BUT, be sure to reserve a large enouh car for a family of 4, European car-size standards are much smaller than American's, although I have to admit that their trunks are relatively huge... <BR> <BR>Bon Voyage. Amik.