Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   London Heathrow "air link" - a question (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/london-heathrow-air-link-a-question-65340/)

s.fowler Mar 14th, 2000 05:36 AM

London Heathrow "air link" - a question

Has anyone taken the new highspeed train from LHR to Paddington? How often does it run and how much does it cost? We're staying near Paddington so this is a good option for us. Thanks for your help!

Kathleen Mar 14th, 2000 06:11 AM

I took the Heathrow Express last summer. It costs 10-12 pounds, one way, takes 15 minutes and leaves often (though not sure of exact times), you shouldn't have to wait long. A bit expensive, but you get to Paddington quickly.

Jane Mar 14th, 2000 06:21 AM

You can take the regular underground which would be less expensive. I have used it from Green Street and I don't remember which line that is on. There must be a web site.

Lori Mar 14th, 2000 06:28 AM

For just a little more than the express train (which for two people is about 24 pounds one way, and you still may have to take a cab to your hotel) I'd opt for a driver pick up service. It costs about 30 pounds, they wait outside of immigration for you with your name on a sign and take you straight to your hotel/apartment/whatever. The price is fixed and unlike a cab if you get stuck in traffic you do not pay more. There are several companies on the web. We've used these types of services a couple of times from Heathrow (and again going out) and it's great - no hassling luggage, no worry about meter running and no schlepping luggage up and down escalators/stairs, etc. Yes, it's a bit more than the Express (unless you have only carry on do not attempt the Underground with luggage), but the convenience is wonderful - plus, you start off your trip without hassle, it's a nice way to start out we've found.

s.fowler Mar 14th, 2000 06:28 AM

Thanks for your replies. Can you tell me where the airlink station is at LHR? We normally take the tube - but this is so convenient for us this time.

jim Mar 14th, 2000 06:31 AM

Jane - do you mean Green Park station? - which is on the Piccadilly Line which runs from Heathrow right into town. <BR> <BR>The Tube is a lot cheaper than the Heathrow Express but slower and less comfortable - if you're not worried by the price i'd go for the Express every time (which also takes you direct to Paddington). <BR> <BR>

jim Mar 14th, 2000 06:36 AM

Wow !!! two new postings up whilst i was writing my reply (there must really be people out there - spooky) <BR> <BR>The station is under the airport - just a bit further walk than the tube station

s.fowler Mar 14th, 2000 08:11 AM

Thanks for all the help! Just one more question :) Under what part of the airport is the air link station? If it helps we're flying United. Thanks :)

Phil Mar 14th, 2000 10:30 AM

There are two Express stations: Below terminals 1 and 4. The walk from terminals 2 and 3 is about twice as long as to the Tube station. <BR> <BR>Fare on the Tube is £3.80, on the Express air links it's £12.00. <BR>The Tube runs roughly every 5 to 8 minutes, the Express every 15 minutes. <BR> <BR>Journey time from Heathrow to Paddington is 15 Minutes by Express and about 1 hour by Tube, as you have to connect. <BR> <BR>If you are staying near Paddington, I'd prefer the Express, as with the Tube you would have to connect at Earl's Court, Gloucester Road or South Kensington, all Stations with lots of stairs. <BR> <BR>Actually, the difference of £8.20 is marginal, if you consider the whole cost of your journey, and the exta comfort is really worth it after more than 8 hours in an airplane. <BR> <BR>By the way: London Transport's website is at: http://www.londontransport.co.uk/ <BR> <BR>Enjoy your stay. <BR> <BR>Phil.

David White Mar 15th, 2000 08:53 AM

Just a suggestion: When arriving at Heathrow, if you are trying to take the Heathrow Express train don't refer to it as the "Airlink"--you may get directed to the "Airbus" service that runs between the airport and a number of downtown hotels. Or you may be sent towards the "Railair" buses that connect to Feltham , Reading or Wockum rail stations. Then again ,may be directed to the "Hotelink" airport-to-hotel service. <BR> <BR>To get a get a good explantion of all these similar-sounding options, try the British Airports Authority website: <BR> <BR> www.baa.co.uk <BR> <BR>Look up Heathrow airport and select the section entitled "Getting to the Airport".

s.fowler Mar 15th, 2000 09:49 AM

Thanks again! This forum [and its denizens] are the greatest! And I *promise* to call it "Heathrow Expres" from now on :)

Ben Haines Mar 15th, 2000 10:15 AM

Fodors <BR> <BR>The Underground with baggage is not impossible. The route is to wheel your bags to the tube station tricket office, drop by escalator to the platform, go to Hammersmith, cross the platform to the District Line, go to South Kenmsington, cross the platform to the Circle Line, and go to Bayswater, Paddington, or Edgeware Road. There, it's true, you have a short flight of stairs up to the street. <BR> <BR>Ben Haines, London <BR> <BR>

Amik Mar 15th, 2000 01:00 PM

OK, but if we are 4 (incl. 2 kids who never sleep on these long flights), I do want to get the extra "luxury", and use one of those "driver pick-up services" Lori was talking about. <BR>Can you, Lori, or somebody refer me to a web site that deals with this kind of service? <BR>ALSO: can someone tell me what is the rate of taking a single Tube ride? I am trying to calculate how much of a better deal it is to buy the Underground Pass. <BR>Thanks much, <BR>Amik

Patrick Mar 16th, 2000 07:49 PM

I always use Swiss Cottage Cars (don't ask about the name, I haven't figured it out yet). I call them and book about a week ahead and last time it was 24 pounds to meet us and take us to our flat in Covent Garden, the driver even carries all our luggage through the airport to the garage. Their number is 011-1-71-431-2700. I looked up a number of places on the internet and none compared to this one, which does not have a site and uses independent drivers with their own cars --very friendly and always dependable. We did the tube fro Heathrow once, got caught in rainy day commuter traffic and swore "never again". The high speed to Paddington is OK I suppose, but it still involves schlepping your luggage a lot and still waiting in cue for a taxi and paying for that once you get to Paddington. And although it is quicker to Paddington, it will probably cost just as much as the hired car, and the total time may be just as great.

AlexM2474 Mar 16th, 2000 07:53 PM

Does Heathrow Express take Credit Cards?

Amy Mar 17th, 2000 06:07 AM

Patrick, Swiss Cottage is an area of London (near to St John's Wood and Hampstead). Alex, the Heathrow Express accepts credit cards.

Patrick Mar 17th, 2000 07:58 AM

Thanks, Amy, I knew that, but still not sure what that has to do with a Heathrow to London car service, although I suppose they could be located at Swiss Cottage. It would seem just as strange for a general service to be called "Hammersmith" cars or "Baker Street" cars when they cover the entire area. Oh well, who cares? I like tham anyway.