Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   London GTG late October? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/london-gtg-late-october-991762/)

janisj Sep 13th, 2013 04:51 PM

London GTG late October?

Hi guys. I'm coming back to London for a 49er game at Wembley (<i>Amuricun</i> football). Flying in on the 23rd - will be having lunch w/ an old friend then taking the Eurostar to Paris early that evening. Coming back to London on Sat the 26th and staying til the 31st.

I don't know what all is planned for Sat - I think there is a pre game party. I'll know more about Saturday's schedule in a couple of weeks. Then Sunday is pretty much taken up w/ pre game festivities and the Game.

But after I move from the game package hotel to the Waldorf Hilton on Monday morning my time is pretty much free or -'free-able' - Monday thru Wed/28-30 Oct.

(flying out thurs)

Ideas?

jamikins Sep 14th, 2013 12:15 AM

We are free 28 - 30 Oct as well! Sounds like a great idea!

hetismij2 Sep 14th, 2013 12:22 AM

Darn it! I'm in the UK earlier in October. Can't afford another trip so soon. :(

Have a good time Janis, enjoy the game, and I hope you get to meet a lot of Fodorites.

txgirlinbda Sep 14th, 2013 01:44 AM

Keep me posted - I can take the train down!

janisj Sep 14th, 2013 10:55 AM

Terrific -- We can wait to see if any others can join us before setting on specifics . . .

hetismij2: Maybe next time. We had a really nice GTG in May -- Jamikins/bikerscott, flanner, Patrick, Oneil and julia_t. You'll have to try to make one - at least put faces to names :)

janisj Sep 20th, 2013 08:09 PM

OK -- I got my Sat. schedule and the day is chock-a-block (or will be if I decide to go to everything)

So my free time is Mon, Tues. Wed. I can manage just about anything/any time those three days.

Or -- Sunday morning since the game isn't until 5PM and the pre-game party isn't until 2:30.

PatrickLondon Sep 21st, 2013 05:00 AM

I'm around at the end of October, so far.

Fra_Diavolo Sep 21st, 2013 05:23 AM

Can't make the gtg, but recall the time I saw an exhibition game at Wembly -- 49ers vs Miami, with the great quarterbacks Dan Marino and Joe Montana (for the first quarter, anyway). Dating myself!

BKP Sep 22nd, 2013 05:56 AM

Everytime a London gtg is organized I promise to come then something happens; my son gets sick, my husband goes out of town etc. So, this time I will say I can't possibly make it (and then sneakily watch this thread and make plans to be there) in the hopes of appeasing the gtg Gods who apparently have it out for me.

--BKP, who cannot make it (but the end of Oct is also good for me and I'd love to come!)

janisj Sep 22nd, 2013 09:32 AM

heh heh . . . hope your ploy works . . .

julia_t Sep 22nd, 2013 10:03 AM

Well, I'm back from Lisbon from my GTG with Barb the week before, so all being well I should be able to sneak in another day or two off work!

Let me know as soon as you decide a date so I can make travel and accommodation arrangements - though if it's the Sunday I can drive up to London just for the day. Other days I have to take the train and stay overnight (silly train timetables!)

But it will be lovely to see you again Janis, and something to look forward to, even though the clocks go back that weekend and the days get darker earlier. Just make it somewhere I can find in the dark lol!

janisj Sep 22nd, 2013 10:16 AM

Terrific!

If it is Sunday it will have to be in the morning or very early afternoon (and I'll have to show up in my 49er kit - embarrassing I know :) ). On Mon/Tues/Wed it can be any time. Monday night would probably be very best for me but doesn't make too much difference.

Jamikins and Patrick . . You guys have a great handle on what's what and where's where. If you'd like to pick a place(s) (easily located in the dark ;) ) I'm sure it will fill the bill.

janisj Sep 28th, 2013 10:04 PM

topping to see if anyone else can join us and decide on a place time . . .

julia_t Sep 29th, 2013 04:21 AM

Monday evening would be fine for me.

I'll let Patrick and jamikins pick a location, somewhere with nearby access to a tube station would be good as I'll have to get to Paddington for my 22.05 train.

jamikins Sep 29th, 2013 11:24 AM

Sounds good - so Monday 28 Oct?

We are currently in Italy but are happy for Patrick to put some places forward! :)

Looking forward to it!

janisj Sep 29th, 2013 01:54 PM

Patrick - no pressure . . .:-"

aussiedreamer Sep 29th, 2013 02:46 PM

We arrive back into London from Cardiff 'on' the 28th, but I'll keep watching this thread just in case I may be able to 'gate crash'?!

jamikins Sep 29th, 2013 02:49 PM

You have to gatecrash - would love to meet up!

PatrickLondon Sep 29th, 2013 09:46 PM

Rats, I was waiting for our resident pub-crawlers to come up with some ideas; how shall I put this - I thought they might have more varied and up-to-date experience of assorted hostelries than me......

Are we thinking of a pub that may or may not do food (the Old Bank of England wasn't the best of ideas, perhaps)? Easier than a restaurant as such. Central or west-ish of central, preferably on a tube line with easy access to Paddington, preferably not too overwhelmed with the after-work crowd. Hmm. I'll have to give it some thought. I'm just off abroad for a week, but I can do some in-depth research when I'm back.

janisj Sep 29th, 2013 09:50 PM

No pressure . . . Have a nice trip and think on it when you get back.

I can make it to anywhere that evening.