Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Car and driver for day trip Rome to Assisi?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13th, 2010, 05:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd like to make a day trip from Rome to Assisi and back with an older companion. It looks like the Eurostar schedule is inconvenient for a day trip, and the only bus tour I find is a full-day taking in Orvietto as well -- I'd prefer a direct trip. We won't have a rental car.

Does anyone know of a car and driver service that would take us on a day trip from Rome to Assisi on our own schedule? Is it wildly expensive?

Thanks so much for any advice.
Old Nov 13th, 2010, 06:04 PM

The train looks quite doable.
I show a 09;50 departure that takes only 2:13
The return is at 16:02 and takes 2:19

Both are via Foligno. If you want no connections just hire a taxi there for a short drive to Assisi.
Old Nov 13th, 2010, 06:25 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Driving would take 3+ hours each way and cost a fortune. I'd take the train.
Old Nov 13th, 2010, 07:04 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, Bob and Janisj. I was looking at Eurostar only. Hiring a taxi at Folingo sounds good - or we could transfer if it's easy. (Always before I've been to Italy with Italian speakers; never even bought a train ticket by myself.
Old Nov 14th, 2010, 02:24 AM

Hi January - There is a DIRECT Roma-Assisi train dep. Roma Termini at 07.43 (- arr. Assisi 09.57). This would be convenient if you wish to avoid a change of train.

Be aware that Assisi station is 3-4 miles from Assisi town. There is an occasional bus service, otherwise you will need to book a taxi.

Hope this helps ...

Steve
Old Nov 21st, 2010, 12:57 PM
Original Poster

Steve, thank you -- with jet lag I think we could do that. I will look on Raileurope for it. Can one take any train back to Rome (as in a day-return to London) or do I have to book a return at a specific time?
Old Nov 21st, 2010, 01:43 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Use Trenitalia (the Italian train company) for trains as RailEurope is a company that sells passes and doesn't usually list all trains (they also mark up the price on individual tickets). Trenitalia will be updating schedules in early December so you might not find many trains listed until that happens. To get all trains to show on Trenitalia, enter a date within the next 7 days. Schedules won't change much.

http://www.trenitalia.com/cms/v/inde...0080a3e90aRCRD

There are R (5:43 pm) and ES (6:25 pm)return trains without changes.
Old Nov 21st, 2010, 02:05 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
hi january,

no problems buying tickets at termini - it took us about 5 mins to get ours to Orvieto - there are loads of automatic ticket machines at the front and side of the station. you start by chooing your language, then your destination, time of travel etc. it does help to know which train you are aiming for as you then know how much it's going to cost.

we were offered "help" by some "kind" people [who i am sure would have wanted money for their services]. they went away when we said "non, grazie" in a firm voice.

there are plenty of cafes/stall to buy breakfast if you decide on the very early train.

have a great trip!