Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

London- Grosvenor House Apartments by Jumereirah

Jan 15th, 2015, 04:16 AM
Original Poster

I have been researching some luxury hotel options with lots of help from fodors forums. We will likely book through amex platinum bc of the amenities provided. I just discovered one of the amex properties is the Grosvenor House. The rooms look very nice and very spacious (traveling with a 9 year old). Rates are more reasonable than traditional hotels on Amex. Location seems good but on a one way road system that i'm told might be frustrating when taking a taxi. Its on the corner of mount street and park lane. Is this a good location for a first timer in london with a child? Anyone have any experience staying here? TIA
Jan 15th, 2015, 04:44 AM

I don't stay in London hotels.

But I can't understand what you mean by "a one way road system that i'm told might be frustrating when taking a taxi."

There's scarcely a road in central London that isn't one-way, though Mount Street and Park Lane are among the few that aren't. And there's not a single black taxi driver in London who's not been through a mandatory five-year intensive training system in London streets (at least four years and 364 days longer than is necessary for that ghastly Uber system American techno-obsessives drool over. Or to invent something so customer-unfriendly.)

What you're probably picking up is a completely different confusion. Cab access to the Grosvenor House hotel is through a rear forecourt in Park Street (from where humping luggage to the apartments is no fun at all), though pedestrians enter through its Park Lane entrance. Anyone wanting to get to the apartments needs to tell the taxi driver clearly they want the apartments, reminding her that "they're on the corner of Mount St and Park Lane"

The cab driver will then just go to the right place. Not specifying where you want to go will probably get her to go to Park Street - which is one way. Once stuck in it, the cab driver has to do a slightly messy circular tour of NW Mayfair to get you to Mount Street.

As long as you speak clearly - and have no truck with children's toys like Uber - you'll have no problem.
Jan 15th, 2015, 06:38 AM
Original Poster

This is what a friend who lives in London told me , which is the basis of my question: "it's on a majoy one way system and you have to go all the way down one side to the roundabout, round the circle, and back down the other side - depending of course where you are going. That can add 15 minutes to your juorney in a cab if the traffic is bad."
Jan 15th, 2015, 08:24 AM

Mayfair is very central and the "hotel" is across the street from Hyde Park. I should think this a great location for a first-timer to London, especially traveling with a child.

Do the Grosvenor House Apartments offer hotel amenities, like a concierge and someone to call a cab?
Jan 15th, 2015, 08:28 AM

Emcash, that is nonsense - it can never take 15 minutes, unless you sit waiting in a cab behind a lorry or bus that's stuck. It's on Park Lane. Just get out of the cab there, or on Mount Street and walk the few metres to Grosvenor House.

It's a good location. Mount Street, South Audley Street are very posh and wealthy areas of London. And you're close to Marble Arch tube station.
Jan 15th, 2015, 08:40 AM

emcash: Likely your friend seldom drives in central London (or has a bad sense of direction). S/he is thinking of Park Lane which is a wide divided road (not one way but a median w/ grass and trees). Unlike your friend, no cab driver would be the least bit bothered by the location. Do follow flanner's suggestion re being specific when telling the driver where you want to go.
Jan 15th, 2015, 09:28 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all. yes, Mimar, they have hotel amenities which really make it an interesting choice.
Jan 15th, 2015, 09:55 AM

Have a look at Shepherd Market, it's not far. Nice small street with a few restaurants and pubs.
If you like seafood, make a reservation well in advance at Scott's in Mount Street. And on South Audley Street there is Richoux; nice old-fashioned place for afternoon tea.
Though for a really special afternoon tea, i'd recommend the Connaught on Mount Street.

It's a nice location, and if you get Amex benefits, go for it.