Reload this Page >

London Gatwick to Victoria Station

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21st, 2000, 04:57 PM
Ray DuBose

What is the best way to get to Victoria Station for 4 traveling togather from Gatwick?

Old Mar 21st, 2000, 05:18 PM
kathy

There is an express train that costs about $18 one way. You can buy your ticket on the train. It takes about 30 minutes to Victoria. It may be cheaper or same cost to be met by car but I suspect it will take longer to get into city.

Old Mar 21st, 2000, 08:26 PM
Ben Haines

Fodors London Gatwick to Victoria Station <BR> <BR>If your hotel is in Bloomsbury then you could better to take the Thameslink train from Gatwick to Kings Cross St Pancras, follow the "underground" signs, drop below the platform, walk to the news kiosk, and go straight up to street level by escalator. On the street you either take a taxi or borrow a trolley and walk 100 yards to the taxis and the bus stop by Kings Cross Main Line station, to go a half mile to your hotel. The route involves a shirt flight of staiurs down, but no others. <BR> <BR>If your hotel is in Kensington or South Kenington then Sundays excepted it's worth while to wait in Gatwick for the hourly train to London Kensington Olympia, and there to leave your party and bags while one of you walks a little towards the main road to get a taxi or taxis to your hotel. This route involves no stairs: the platform is by the street. <BR> <BR>Please write if I can help further. Welcome to London. <BR> <BR>Ben Haines <BR> <BR>

Old Mar 22nd, 2000, 03:20 AM
Jane

If we are 4 people and travel from Gatwick to London we always use a minicab. They don't usually charge waiting time and are there to pick you up and drop you at your hotel for a fixed price. I had some companies bookmarked but seem to have lost them. Some names that come to mind are Medway and Swiss Cotttage. I know there is a sight on the net too. I have used the Gatwick express when I have been on my own as it is cheaper than getting a minicab for one person. I think a minicab is a less expensive way to go for 4 people.

Old Mar 22nd, 2000, 07:28 AM
David White

The train (either Gatwick Express or the routes described by Ben Haines) will be faster, especially during moderate to heavy traffic times. Gatwick is almost 30 miles south of central London. With commuter and city traffic, you can imagine how long the trip can take by car of bus. <BR> <BR>The Gatwick Express has another advantage on the return journey. Passengers on British Airways can check-in at Victoria Rail station, drop their bags, and go on to the airport with relative ease. <BR> <BR>David White <BR>www.KidsToLondon.com

Old Mar 22nd, 2000, 09:21 AM
elvira

I like the Gatwick Express for one or two people and light luggage (pilot case and a totebag). Beyond that, hire a taxi. Reason: once you get to Victoria, you have to get to your hotel. That means a taxi, or the underground. Trying to get 4 people on the subway with their luggage and then making sure everyone gets off at the right station, or trying to get out of the station and then into a taxi, dragging luggage, can be daunting. If you're not sure of your hotel's location, then more walking and suitcase-dragging from the underground. <BR>During busy traffic times, the taxi takes longer than the train; sometimes it's worth extra time for the convenience.

Old Apr 4th, 2000, 12:37 PM
Cindy

And be prepared to wait for a taxi at Victoria. I arrived in London on a Thursday. Took the Gatwick Express to Victoria. Discovered I was not going to be able to use the tube because there was no lift only stairs and I had quite a large suitcase. Decided to splurge on a taxi and waited for an hour and a half. It was well worth it. I was thoroughly fed up with Victoria Station by that time. The taxi ride only cost around 7 pounds.