Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   London: freezin' in Feb?? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/london-freezin-in-feb-205860/)

Joelle Nov 8th, 2001 06:57 AM

London: freezin' in Feb??

My husband & I are visiting a friend in London during the Valentine's Day holiday.<BR>I imagine it will be quite cold but does anyone know about snowfall or ice during this month? I think it's a good excuse to cuddle!

kate Nov 8th, 2001 07:08 AM

London actually rarely gets real snow or ice, but be prepared for wind and rain!

Joanne Nov 8th, 2001 07:30 AM

Joelle:<BR><BR>My husband and I spent a week in London in February 1996. It was cold, but we dressed accordingly and got along fine. Actually it is one of our favorite trips. We took two day tours (Stonehenge, Salisbury and Bath; Oxford, Stratford Upon Avon and Warwick Castle). Also saw much of London. The best of it was the inexpensive price and the lack of crowding. <BR><BR>We generally travel to Europe in the spring, but this was such an excellent opportunity (air, hotel, the two day tours, free dinner at the hotel, etc.) at such an excellent price we decided to go for it and have never regretted that we did.<BR><BR>As noted, it was very cold some days and we had occasional rain (no snow), but we always take our raincoats and umbrellas when we go to Europe and often have rain in spring. On this trip I wore my long heavy dress coat, packed my raincoat; took several sweaters and warm slacks, and was never terribly uncomforable.<BR><BR>j

Giovanni Nov 8th, 2001 07:37 AM

I was there in early March and had the usual London drizzle, and a very light snow (melted when it hit the ground)--neither of these were a problem. The wind can be brutal though, so bring the long underwear!

elvira Nov 8th, 2001 11:21 AM

I'm in London/Paris every February, and it's usually cold (like DC, not Maine), windy, and rainy. I've also been when it was sunny and the 60's (learned from that trip to pack lightweight clothes that can be layered, rather than heavy sweaters). Slushy snow once in Paris, but it melted by afternoon. Never ice. Nothing says it can't happen, though. I've never needed boots, but I do have sturdy walking shoes (2 pairs in case one pair gets wet) with thick rubber soles...and extra socks. Be sure to bring gloves, a warm scarf, and a hat.<BR> <BR><BR>

mia Nov 8th, 2001 11:52 AM

I live in NY so London is never as cold in Feb/March as it is here! We also have had days when it felt spring- like with bright sun and a little breeze.For some reason, we have always been blessed with no rain when visiting London! But there have been those dark dreary damp days that are best spent in the Tate Gallery or shopping, then having a really big tea, then going to a show or seeing a film, at the Minema Cinema on Knightsbridge Rd, near Harrods~M

Diane Nov 14th, 2001 07:34 PM

Find some long silk under garments. You won't regret it. They don't take up much room, don't make you look too bulky, are comfortable & warm. Not exactly inexpensive but worth it & you can launder in the basin & dry overnight.

Vicki Nov 15th, 2001 08:30 AM

We were in London in March of this year and it was cold and rainy. It did snow while we were there but that was up north near Scotland. Where I live it gets really cold and snows alot in the winter so I thought I had packed warm enough but there were a couple of days I nearly froze to death in London. I think it has to do with the humidity as much as the temperature. It just felt colder to me. I figured out really fast why the English like their hot tea so much.

kmarie Nov 15th, 2001 11:04 AM

Joelle--<BR>My husband and I visited London February 14-21, 2001. We stayed at the Morgan Hotel; its perfect-for-me location is on Bloomsbury Street, around the corner from the British Museum. Our plans were very loose; we'd let the weather help us decide what to do from day to day. And, of course, I'd head for the museum on a rainy day. Well, I finally got to the museum on my final day and it wasn't raining...it didn't rain the week we were there (okay, the streets were damp one morning...a pre-dawn drizzle...)<BR><BR>A few daffodils were in bloom...Sunday afternoon lunch/tea at the Orangerie had a l-o-n-g line of folks waiting--the park was so busy because the spring-like weather was delightful!<BR><BR>I did wear my long wool winter coat each day (hadn't brought another) and sometimes used the hat, gloves, and scarf I always pack during winter months. Diane's suggestion of long silk under garments is a good one; www.wintersilks.com is one source. And, to be sure, Elvira's advice on lightweight items to layer is excellent.<BR><BR>Check the forecasts before you leave, pack an umbrella or hooded jacket/coat, be ready for anything and have a wonderful time!

Maurice Nov 18th, 2001 09:27 AM

Whatever happened to the weather of "Hans Brinker and the Silver Skates"? They used to skate canals of Holland. There's stories of skating on the Thames in the 1600's and 1700's. <BR>(And George Washington escaped the British by dragging his cannon (!) across the Hudson R. over the ice. Musta bin some thick!) <BR><BR>Let's hear it for global warming!

Judy Nov 18th, 2001 01:35 PM

Hi Joelle, we were in London last Valentines day, and the weather was chilly, but "fine" as the BBC weatherguy said. In fact, like Kmarie said, no rain all week we were there too!<BR> I took a long trench coat with zip out wool liner, and it worked brilliantly.... also took gloves and scarf and 2 pairs of shoes, just un case.<BR> We flew in on Valentines day, and were too tired for a special dinner, so we just did the Pizza Express, near the British Museum. It has great pizza, BTW, and it has decent atomosphere IMO. Have fun, I love London.<BR>Judy :-)

karen Nov 19th, 2001 01:07 PM

We went over Valentine's Day, 1998 for a 5-day long weekend (deal on British Airways was unbeatable). We checked the weather forecast the day before we left, just to modify our packing, if needed. Forecast was for nice weather, so we made sure there were layers in case of an early spring... It was sunny, 50s and 60s, and people were rollerblading in the parks, dressed in shorts and t-shirts! Most unusual...

Ellen Nov 19th, 2001 01:31 PM

I live in London, so I know the weather. Last January we had some snow that lasted less than a day, and no ice ever. I have flowers that are blooming all year round, so the frost isn't a problem. And, I have boots that I've never used since I moved here from Canada 4 years ago. You will likely need an umbrella, gloves, a good coat and no boots. Hope you have a great trip!

Dave Nov 21st, 2001 06:14 AM

http://www.usatoday.com/weather/climate/wlondon.htm