First Trip to Paris (10 Days)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5th, 2014, 09:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Next June I plan on traveling to Paris for the very first time, and I have only been dreaming of this day since I was 12 years old (sincerely). We'll be staying in Paris at a friend of the families residence, but we are still undecided on how long we'd like to stay. We also have a place to stay in the South of France near Bordeaux. I was told by a friend that this area is very difficult to get to, and perhaps a little uncessary. At the same time, it is a beautiful place - and free. In only 10 days, I know it will be impossible to go to all the places in Europe that we'd like. I just wanted to see what everyone thought was realistic. We are considering making a trip to London, perhaps Germany, but also have interest in staying in Nice for a couple of days. Already it sounds like too much, and I have no interest in rushing through Paris. But are there any places that are must-sees, while also being relatively easy to get to from Paris? Basically, is it realistic to do day trips from Paris to Germany when Paris already has so much to offer? I apologize for my rambling! Hopefully as the date gets closer I'll have more of an idea of what want. Thanks in advance for your answers!
Old Sep 5th, 2014, 10:05 AM

No - you cannot do day trips from Paris to Germany. While physically possible - you wold have practically no time to see anything - even if you headed for the part of Germany closest to France - and is this what you want to see.

Frankly if I had 10 full days on the ground (not counting the day you arrive and the day you depart) I would spend 5 days in Paris and hop the Eurostar and spend 5 days in London. But that's me. I want to see every museum, church and historic sight and have lots of nice meals.

We don;t know what your must sees are - so it's hard to make a reco.

And you do need to confirm how many days you actually have onthe ground.

And with limited time you should fly into your first city and fly back from your last city - don;t waste time returning to Paris.
Old Sep 5th, 2014, 10:06 AM

In 10 days you could visit London and Paris. Or visit Paris and 1 or 2 locations in Germany. A day trip in Germany is not realistic unless you want to spend the entire day getting there and back. Or Paris and (near) Bordeaux. You cannot do all of the above in 10 days unless you're not interested in seeing anything and are only interested in rushing from town to town.

If you've been dreaming of Paris since you were 12 years old and have no interest in rushing through Paris then that is where you should go. You could take trips to Giverny or Versailles or a number of other locations near Paris without moving hotels.
Old Sep 5th, 2014, 10:07 AM

Why don't you list all the things you want to see in Paris and then you'll have an idea if you can fit in any place else. My list would keep me busy in Paris for months.
Old Sep 5th, 2014, 10:38 AM

You've been dreaming about it since you were 12, but how old are you now?!! LOL And who is "we"--you, your family, etc.
No, as others have said, you have time for Paris--and "maybe" some day trips from Paris.
What is hard to get to about Bordeaux--however, whether it is interesting enough to take time during this trip would be a more pertinent question perhaps.
The idea of Paris and London is okay--it will be an expensive pairing, if that is of import in the planning.
Do some research and blocking out some Paris days, as has been hinted at above, and then see what you want to do.
Old Sep 5th, 2014, 10:40 AM

Make a reservation as soon as you know your exact Paris dates for either lunch or dinner at the Jules Verne restaurant in the Eiffel Tower, and ask for a window table. It's a don't -miss experience, and it books up very early. You'll get to go in the private entrance at the base of the Tower and skip the crowds at the bottom. The food is good even though it's a "touristy" place. Lunch is less expensive than dinner; dinner offers the chance to see the view while it's still light, then see the transition to nighttime. A window seat during that transition is quite something.

Have a great trip!
Old Sep 5th, 2014, 10:41 AM
Original Poster

All good responses, thanks guys. I'm 23 and will be traveling with a friend. It'll be my first time traveling to Europe so I think my eyes are a little bigger than my stomach. I do think you're all right in saying the focus should stay on Paris. With 10 days I think it will give me enough time to make day trips. It's just deciding whether to do day trips to other areas in France, or do 5-6 days in Paris and then another 3-4 days in London or Nice. I'm sure I'll be back in Europe soon, but I don't want to not take advantage of being in the heart of so many things.
Old Sep 5th, 2014, 10:43 AM
Original Poster

@bakerstreet, thanks for the tip! I feel like I've seen pictures on a blog called elementsofstyle of that exact restuaruant, and it looked amazing. Will definitely look into that.
Old Sep 5th, 2014, 12:00 PM

Where around Bordeaux? Bordeaux is a fantastic city to visit, and so are surrounding areas like the Dordogne to the east. Will you be able to borrow a car or be driven around? A lot of the Dordogne is accessible by rail however.

There's plenty to do in London, but London is pricier than Paris and doesn't sound like you have a free place to stay.
Old Sep 5th, 2014, 01:31 PM

I would go with staying the whole 10 days in Paris; even if you didn't do any day trips there would still be places you really wanted to see in Paris that you wouldn't have time to see -- and you should plan for time spent just enjoying a leisurely lunch or sitting in a park or just exploring a neighborhood without any particular destination in mind. There are lot of interesting day trips you can do (Versailles, Chartres, Giverny, Vaux-le-Vicomte, Fontainebleau and many more) -- more than enough to fill your 10 days. If you want to do a day trip further afield, such as Lyon, check train fares ahead of time for much reduced fares -- there are a lot of threads about advance purchase of train tickets.
Old Sep 5th, 2014, 03:48 PM

I'd vote for 10 days in Paris, but that's me. We recently took our first trip to Paris, spent all 10 days in the city. We didn't want to leave Paris to do a day trip! You can click on my name and find the report of our trip under trip reports. It may give you a feel for what is possible in 10 days.

We haven't elided yet where in Europe to go next spring, but I could certainly return to Paris!
Old Sep 5th, 2014, 04:27 PM

There now!! Good info. And yes, you will be back. I know "Nice" sounds SO cool, but there are so many more cool places, including Bordeaux.
Have a GREAT time. You will. But plan, and then when you are there "improvise" because you "can". Sit in a café. Do the "do".
Old Sep 5th, 2014, 04:37 PM

I agree that Jules Verne is worth the big $ - for a combination of very good food (not THE best) and incredible views. But before your serve have a look at the menus and prices. Upscale restaurants in paris are not a bargain (we routinely allow about $350 per couple for a special dinner in europe and we don;t go for expensive wines).
Old Sep 5th, 2014, 05:29 PM

I've never been to Bordeaux. But if I had free lodging in both Paris and Bordeaux, I would spend a week in Paris and 3 days in Bordeaux.
Or spend 5 days in Paris and take the train down to Avignon or Aix-en-Provence for the remaining 5 days.
I like staying in one country for a trip, but that's just me...
Old Sep 5th, 2014, 06:11 PM

Just a note: Airline tickets that have "open jaws" are usually free and remove the need to backtrack, so that saves a day. For example, we flew into Bordeaux but home from Paris. Anyway, something to think about.
Old Sep 5th, 2014, 07:07 PM

I like what adrienna said:

Make a list of all the place you want to see, if you do not you can become overwhelmed.

Also yes you will and should go to Versailles. You could also go Giverny ( home of Monet, the Garden will not be at its best in December).
Giverny is about hour from Paris and Ruoen is 1 1/2 hours, both are in the same direct

and even a bit further down to Ruoen.

Let me give you a short list.

1. Opera House ( you want to go inside)

2. Across from the Opera house is Galeries Layatette Mall.
Go inside to see how lovely it is, you do not have to shop.
Then take the escalator to the top floor (7th) and walk right outside on the Terrace for some nice views of Paris.

3. At the Opera House Square is a famous restaurant called
Café de la Paix. Sit outside , look at the Opera House and people watch.
It is December so have some hot chocolate as you sit outside.

4. Madeleine Church
5. Place Vendome, the Ritz Hotel is here also.
6. Place la Concorde and The Tuileries Gardens..the "Heart of Paris".
Here you want to just stroll around , do not know what the effect will be in winter with no leaves on the trees, but it is nice anyway.

7. Arc de Triomphe du Carrousel.

8. Inverted Pyramid,The Louvre Pyramid and then the Louvre.
You will tour the Louvre Museum.

9. Museum de Orsay across the river from Tuileries Garden.
10. Museum de la Orangeries.

11. Walk along the Champs Elysees all the way to the Arc de
Triomph.
12. Just walk along the river to the Eiffel Tower.
I would book a dinner here, just for the view while dinning ( splurge like nytravler said, your in Paris , what the heck !!)
or at least climb the stairs to the top.

13. Nearby along the river is the Bridge l' Alma ( tunnel at north end of the bridge).

This is where Lady Dianne died.
There are pictures of her by an eternal flame, but the flame is NOT for her.!! It is called the Liberty Flame

14. Trocadero Gardens and Fountains are across from the Eiffel Tower.
Right here between the arc building ( that houses Museums) is Place de Chaillot..and the BEST place to stand and take pictures of the Eiffel Tower.

15. Walk across Alexander Bridge named for Alexander III Czar of Russian.

16. Hotel Invalides and the Army Museum .
Napolean's Tomb is here.
17. Royal Place and Gardens
Joan of Arc Statue ( in gold)
18. Isle de Cite which contains the Notre Dame Church ( you will want to see this)
Also on the island is Palace of Justice
and Sainte Chapell Church..( you have to see the stained glass in here !!!)

Also right here is the Conciergerie, where Maria Antoinette was kept before her execution.

19 Luxembourg Gardens
Luxembourg Palace ...which now house the France Senate.

You can delete or add to this list ( there is much more to add), but you might not like what I liked

And you should see Versailles even if it is December.

You will not be alone your friend will be with you.
Old Sep 5th, 2014, 07:32 PM

Percy gave you a good list!

Try to see the church St Chappelle on a sunny day. Don't waste time downstairs; walk in, turn around and go up the stairs in the back corner. Also, I heard sometimes there are music concerts given there -- if I had 10 days in Paris in June I would definitely check out whether one was planned during my visit; Baroque music, in that setting in the late afternoon of a sunny day must be ...memorable.

One thing missing from the list I consider a "must" is a visit to the gardens at the Rodin home/museum. The house museum is worth a visit; but the garden is awesome. The sculpture "The Thinker" is there, you know, the naked man sitting with his forehead resting on his fist. Also, "The Gates of Hell." And a visit just to the garden is free. Or was at one point!

If I were going in summer I'd want to see the catacombs. Tried on a November trip but closed then... Creepy and not for everyone but you sound young and maybe up for adventure?!

Another thing missing - but totally different from the other things in Paris -- the Pompidou - modern art. Interesting building and things inside .. Maybe find out which night it's open late and do it then for a couple of hours.

As for the d'Orsay, absolutely do not DO NOT MISS THAT. Start your visit by going directly upstairs. That's where all the Impressionist paintings you want to see are.

I completely envy you!!!
Old Sep 5th, 2014, 07:57 PM

Thanks bakerstreet, I was going to mention the Rodin Museum which is almost right beside the Hotel Invalides Complex.

You are right the Gardens here are beautiful.

I did see the Catacombs, yep kind of creep ( but so were the ones in Alexandria Egypt.! I guess they are suppose to sort of be creepy)

I agree about the Pompidou building, it is something unique to see.... and if she to see the Pompidou Centre then she might as well walk a few more blocks and see

The Hotel de Ville ( City Hall, what a lovely ornate building)

Place de Vogues with statue of Louise XIII in the centre.
Victor Hugo's Mansion is on the corner here at Place de Vogues.

I won't mention places in the Latin Quarter like:

University of Paris
Museum de Cluny
Parthenon
St. Severin Church
St. Michaels Fountain

It is rather "tight" walking in this area.

Also on the western end of the Isle de Cite is a nice place called

Square de Vert-Galant, it is a nice park like setting , sit on a bench and watch Paris and the boats go by.

There is a staue of Henri IV here on a horse, you see him as soon as you starting walking on the New Bridge ( Ponte Neuf)

Also here is Place Dauphine Square, a triangular square, the Sainte Chapelle Church is now only a few blocks away.

Thanks for the heads up bakerstreet.
Old Sep 6th, 2014, 02:12 AM

Jules Verne IS worth it, but go for lunch and actually "see" Paris, have a wonderful meal, and at half the price.
Old Sep 6th, 2014, 03:42 AM

It is not difficult to get to the Dordogne, but travel within may best be done by car. You can get regular flights to Bordeaux from Orly or further out De Gaulle airport for as little as 49 euros. But, if the free lodging you have is actually within the Dordogne, you might be better off flying to Periguex or Bergerac. Both are available with weekday flights on Twin Jet, in the same price range. (www.twinjet.fr, they have an English language icon) The flights on either airline compare favorably with the TGV, and the total travel time to Orly, the flight, and then from the airport to anyplace in the Dordogne is far less than the train. This is a trip I make with some frequency, and, as I live at a distance from Bordeaux. I have entirely given up on the train.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -