Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   London for 8 days/nights this Sunday (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/london-for-8-days-nights-this-sunday-108846/)

Susan Feb 27th, 2001 02:55 PM

London for 8 days/nights this Sunday

Hi! I've enjoyed reading your postings and thank you for your great ideas. I'm arriving in London on Sunday morning around 9 am--any suggestions of what to do/see on a Sunday? Thanks!

kam Feb 27th, 2001 03:50 PM

You can do most of the standard tourist things on Sunday. It's just restaurants and shops that tend to close down. Covent Gardens would be nice if the weather is good. If not, I would start at either the Tower or Westminster Abbey.

N Feb 27th, 2001 04:43 PM

Susan,You'll lov it!First,if you're traveling overnight, you'll be excited but tired.Depends on where your base is, but I find a walking tour of the neighborhood is a good way to begin. Then try venturing a bit further on the tube.Last time I visited we were based in Kensington so after a brief walking tour there, went to hyde park & had tea in a small shop nearby. Left just enough time,and energy for light meal & early bedtime. <BR>enjoy!!

Judy Feb 27th, 2001 06:21 PM

Kam, we went to Covent Garden Sunday night, looking for a restaurant that looked interesting....there were hardly any open, so we headed back to Bloomsbury. From now on. when we go back. I will check for Sunday restaurant openings! FYI, Judy. ps. we did find a nice little French restaurant elsewhwere.

kate Feb 28th, 2001 03:05 AM

Actually you'll find most shops ARE open on sundays except those that cater purely for "the workers" (sandwich bars, shops in the Financial district etc) or some small, family run shops. <BR> <BR>Probably about 60-70% of restaurants close on sunday evenings (some are open for lunch), though you will still find plenty open. I often eat out on a sunday, and just check before I go in a restaurant guide or by phoning. You'll find it's often restaurants in the centre that are shut because they cater for business people as well as tourists so some don't think it's worth opening on sundays when the workers aren't around. Restaurants in more residential areas will tend to open.

Dick Feb 28th, 2001 03:15 AM

If you are close to Hyde Park Corner (near Oxford Street) you could check out Speakers Corner Sunday morning . . it is a hoot! It is a Sunday only thing, so don't try it during the week. <BR> <BR>Dick

David White Feb 28th, 2001 06:55 AM

Susan, <BR> <BR>If you have just gotten off an overnight flight, you'll be battling jet lag. Walking through St. James's Park (or Hyde Park, Kensington Gardens, etc) works better than touring a dark cathedral; A boat trip on the Thames is probably better than a quiet art museum. Food helps too, and caffeine works for some people, so you may want to have a brunch-type meal soon after arriving. <BR> <BR>Enjoy London! <BR> <BR>David White <BR>http://www.KidsToLondon.com

Lisa Feb 28th, 2001 01:21 PM

I agree with the above - you'll need to wash up/change clothes, etc. before venturing out (around noon, by the time you get through customs, in to London, etc). <BR>Try a walking tour - Trafalgar square down to Westminster via St James Park would be great - a great overview of London,very exciting, not too strenuous. <BR>Enjoy

Linda Feb 28th, 2001 05:37 PM

Yes, you're going to be tired. Is this your first trip to London? If so, I advise a Red Bus tour. You can take them from most of the tourist sites. (I always catch them at Trafalgar Square.) They take you on a tour of the city. This will let you get a good overview. If you have the energy, you can get off and see some of the sites; if not, you'll still see a lot just from outside, like maybe the trip around Speakers Corner in Hyde Park will fill you need for seeing hyde Park forever, and you can cross it off your list. You'll see a lot, be able to better prioritize the rest of your week, and save your legs/energy. Well worth the money for your first day there.

Susan Feb 28th, 2001 08:50 PM

Great ideas all! Just to provide more info: This is my 2nd time to London, though I'm ashamed to say it's been almost 9 years since the first. My home base will be Notting Hill. I'm staying with a friend who will be working during the week so I'll be on my own during the days. I love getting a feel for a city by walking around so that will be my main mode of transport. I especially enjoy quaint neighborhoods, beautiful parks/gardens, and bustling areas for people watching. Thanks again for your responses! <BR>Susan

Ben Haines Mar 1st, 2001 09:45 AM

Fodors <BR> <BR> <BR>Too late for Ms Stanley, but in time perhaps for others, I'd like to say that cathedrals and the Abbey are open for services on Sundays, but I think not for tourism. <BR> <BR>Also, that the Speakers' Corner in Hyde Park is at Marble Arch tube station, not at Hyde Park tube station. <BR> <BR>Ben Haines, London <BR> <BR>

lisa Mar 1st, 2001 03:28 PM

From Notting Hill, a lovely walk would be to Holland Park - lovely, and the daffodils and crocuses (crocii?) are in bloom at this time. A walk through Kensington Gardens is also lovely, and tea/lunch at the Orangerie, next to Kensington palace is a lovely, and somewhat overlooked spot (we were there last week, and it was almost empty mid-day).