London for 4/5 days. How & what?

Jun 14th, 2010, 09:53 AM
Original Poster

London for 4/5 days. How & what?

Hi,

I intend to go to London for about 5 days in August. I'm going with a couple of friends of mine.

We decided not to go on a sightseeing tour. Because we don't wanna see everything. But of course we want to see the most important things. Like Buckinham Palace and the London Eye, but we're actually there for shopping (LOL)

First... What is the cheapest way to get there? We could book a charterflight from Dusseldorf/Weeze (Germany) to London Stansted. But isn't that like MILES away from the centre of London? Wouldn't that be too much traveling?
We also could take the buss from Utrecht to Calais-Dover and to London. But that will EAT time.
And what's a nice hotel to stay at? What's a nice place to go shopping at?

Other advice is welcome too.

Thanksss. xx
Jun 14th, 2010, 11:30 AM

I'm wondering if this is a joke post or some Fodors.com trick to have "rude" posters reveal themselves.

That said:

At last check, there is no major airport in the center of London. Indeed, airplanes flying over central London at low altitudes is generally discouraged for reasons both historical and practical.

Amazingly enough, other large cities like Paris, Madrid, Rome, New York and Chicago also lack international airports situated within walking distance of the city center.

Also surprising is this fact: there is information on London on the interweb. A quick look for some such info may reveal "a nice hotel to stay at" or a "nice place to go shopping at".
Jun 14th, 2010, 12:36 PM

How much do you want to pay for this "nice: hotel? And what type of "nice" shopping do you want to do - upscale designer, trendy but inexpensive, midrange standard?

It would help to know how many of you there are and also your age group.

And the only way to enter the center of London directly is train or bus. (You're correct that any airport is miles from the center - as with any large city.)
Jun 14th, 2010, 03:37 PM

We just returned from a nice mother-daughter weekend and stayed at the Waldorf Hilton in Convent Garden. The rooms were great, the service was great, and the location was perfect for us! We went to shows, shopped around the Covent Garden area and were able to take the Underground to other shopping areas. We enjoyed several good meals at restaurants in the area and at the outdoor cafes in Convent Garden. We took the train in from gatwick and had no trouble getting to the hotel. Have fun!
Jun 14th, 2010, 03:38 PM

Of course I meant Covent garden and I should have said a week long stay! Sorry....typing to fast!

Search this Thread