London-follow up

Search

London-follow up

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30th, 2006, 08:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
London-follow up

Thanks for the help on my previous post about London, I guess I was a bit vague with my request. Of course we are going to see the sights just like the rest of the tourists. I was really hoping for some good ideas about the nightlife. Looks like some bars/pubs/clubs can be pretty crowded. We are staying near Hyde Park. Anything nearby that we should check out?
Old Dec 30th, 2006, 08:50 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
OK - the best way to follow up is to post this to your earlier thread.

But first, "Near Hyde Park" is a HUGE area - it basically includes Paddington, Bayswater, Nottinghill, Queensway, Kensington, Earls Court, South Kensington, Mayfair, Knightsbridge, Park Lane, Belgravia, Oxford Street and more.

So whereabouts is your hotel?
Old Dec 30th, 2006, 08:56 AM
Original Poster

We are staying at the Mitre House, 178-184 Sussex Gardens.
Old Dec 30th, 2006, 09:02 AM

OK - that is near Paddington station and Bayswater Rd to the north side of the parks. Can't help you w/ pubs nearby since I don't think I've been inside a pub in that neighborhood in 15 years or more.
Old Dec 30th, 2006, 09:05 AM

oops - hit post too soon.

Others will know of places nearby - but in fact, you are probably more likely to stop in pubs where you are touring around (near the theatres, or museums or whatever) rather than near Paddington.
Old Dec 30th, 2006, 09:21 AM
MaureenB

The Sussex Gardens neighborhood is a nice one, but not really for pubs. We liked its location when we stayed there last year. There are some pubs closer to Paddington from there, but nothing especially remarkable. The area toward Hyde Park from there is mostly quiet and residential, with a couple of nice restaurants, especially the Boorjahan 2 (sp?) for Indian food.

Before our trip, I made these notes on pubs that also serve food, based on other Fodorites' recommendations:

"The Founders Arms. at the southern end of Blackfriars Bridge, downstairs to the Jubilee walk which runs along the river, and a hundred yards downstream. Lunch and supper seven days a week: last orders 8pm. The beer and food are good.

The Sir Loin Restaurant, above The Hope, 94 Cowcross Street. Duck, Pork and Beef, all roast, all fresh from Smithfield meat market and never frozen at any time. Upstairs at the Sir Loin you pay twice the cost of an average pub meal, but the food is good. Downstairs in the pub are joints of pork and beef ready for carving to go into sandwiches. Monday to Friday breakfast 7 to 9.30, lunches noon to 2, no evening meals.

The New Market. 26 Smithfield Street, opposite the southwest corner of Smithfield Market. Nearest tube Farringdon. Meals Monday to Friday 6.30 am to 8 pm, and Sundays noon to 5. Closed Saturdays.

The Shakespeare. North of the Museum of London, at the southern end of Goswell Road. 100 yards from Barbican tube station. Lunches and suppers Mondays to Saturdays: last orders 8pm.

The Hoop and Grapes, 80 Farringdon Street, north of Ludgate Circus. Nearest station City Thameslink. Lunches and suppers Mondays to Fridays and lunches Saturdays.

There are several places for lunch in Leadenhall Market, on the corner of Leadenhall Street and Gracechurch Street, but only one pub, the Lamb.

The Market Porter, on the southern side of Borough Market, nearest tube London Bridge. Good for visits to Southwark Cathedral, older and better looking than St Paul's, and with weekly lunchtime music.

If you do go to the Temple church, you will find just west of the temple and just south of the Law Courts the Devereaux Arms, with lunch upstairs.

The Hollybush pub in Hampstead."
>-

Old Dec 30th, 2006, 09:25 AM

All the pubs in London (and beyond) are catalogued by location and appraised here: http://www.fancyapint.com
Old Dec 30th, 2006, 10:05 AM

I don't know why you have a fixation with "nearby", it means different things to different people. Some bars/pubs/clubs can be packed most nights of the week, usually a sign that they're worth visiting.

How old are you? What music do you enjoy? Are you concerned about budget? etc. etc. etc.

There's no point in my recommending a bar where drinks are 12GBP a go, if you're only looking to spend that amount on a couple of rounds for two.

I've a feeling that pubs will disappoint you, they're not the quaint places with roaring log fires at all. They serve beer from a brewery (on the whole), microwaved food, and a schoolgirl or two constitutes the staff. Gastropubs are a different kettle of fish, but they're oh so pretentious, and soon will be completely and utterly passé! Why pay as much as you would in a restaurant to sit in the discomfort of a pub?

So back to your question... what is it that you are seeking? Somewhere cheap where you can get drunk on "paint stripper", somewhere luxurious where you can sit and enjoy the surroundings and company, or somewhere upbeat where you can dance the night away?
Old Dec 30th, 2006, 02:47 PM
MaureenB

Sorry-- I totally had the name wrong-- it's “Noorjahan 2” at 26 Sussex Place, in Sussex Gardens. I had an amazing prawn dish with shrimp so big you'd think they were lobster tails, in this incredible sauce. (And this from someone who thought she didn’t like Indian food!)

And here are two pub-types we liked:

Great lunch at a restaurant across the street from Parliament, St. Stephans Tavern. If you stand at the main street facing the Parliament, it’s on the left, across the street, on the first corner down. Very nice, traditional English atmosphere-- wood and leaded glass. Good sandwiches.

Also a nice lunch near our Hyde Park Radnor Hotel, at Sawyers Arms, 8-9 London Street, which is between Sussex Gardens and Paddington. Nothing really special, but good sandwiches, good value, cute atmosphere and good service.
>-

Old Dec 30th, 2006, 04:14 PM

We're also staying in Bayswater when we visit London in May, and I found several great-sounding pubs on Fancyapint. Check the link Robespierre posted - you can search by location or Tube stop.

Lee Ann
Old Dec 30th, 2006, 06:54 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your help and suggestions everyone. And in response to M Kingdom 2, we are 30 something and not looking to get plastered on "paint stripper" (actually sounds a bit painful). We have a heatlhy budget but don't want to blow our money on expensive drinks. Our musical taste ranges from, blues, alternative (white stripes, kings of leon etc.) to jazz.
Old Dec 31st, 2006, 07:01 AM

Hi sakegrrrl,

Sussex Gardens is in Paddington, not close to Hyde Park at all (good 20-30min walk). You can go further out on Edgeware Rd (admitedly not the prettiest part of the town) to Little Venice. There is a pub called Warrington Hotel (which is no longer a hotel) at Warrington Crescent, which has decent drink and very ornate pillar/interior. Or walk further along the canal to Waterway on Formosa St overlooking the bridge. There is another classical, nice-looking one near Craven Rd. You're more likely to find historical pubs in the City though most won't be open on weekends.

On a second thought, you're probably more likely to get a unique experience trying shishas at numerous lebanese cafes/restaurants along Edgeware Rd. That is very convenient.
Old Dec 31st, 2006, 08:12 AM
MaureenB

From our hotel in Sussex Gardens, the Hyde Park Radnor, I walked to Hyde Park in less than 10 minutes to see the Queen's mounted guard preparing for a salute in the park. It took us 20 minutes to walk to Kensington Palace from our hotel, but the entrance to the park is a short walk. I forget the name of the gate we'd walk to.

It also took us about 10 minutes to walk the other direction, from the hotel to Paddington station. Sussex Gardens is a much nicer area than directly near Paddington.
>-

Old Dec 31st, 2006, 08:22 AM

<<< Some bars/pubs/clubs can be packed most nights of the week, usually a sign that they're worth visiting. >>>

Or it's full of spotty teenagers as it's the only place that'll let them in, or it's full of students because students get 2-4-1 or it's the local centre for the drug trade or it's where you can buy stolen goods or...
Old Dec 31st, 2006, 08:29 AM

Actually both W9London and MaureenB are right. Sussex Gardens is a long-ish street that goes from quite near the park to well beyond Paddington into the nether reaches . . .

The Mitre House is nearer to the SW end of the street, so not that far from the park. Still not a big "pub neighborhood" - mostly an area of tourist class hotels/guest houses. But it is a short walk to the park/Bayswater Rd.