Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   London: Five Sumner Place: recent review on Trip Advisor (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/london-five-sumner-place-recent-review-on-trip-advisor-452552/)

tripgirl Jun 23rd, 2004 12:27 PM

London: Five Sumner Place: recent review on Trip Advisor

Staying at Five Sumner Place July 9-12th and was dismayed by 2 recent reviews on Trip Advisor.

I had done my research on this board and had read sbout Five Sumner Place in numerous publications. Want to be in S. Kensington this time too. Reports of Five Sumner Place on this board had been favorable in the past.

The first review on Trip Advisor accused the proprietor of being Anti American, although I don't believe this as it is too dramatic and unless he came right out and said " I don't like Americans" , it is a quite subjective thing to accuse one of. So not taking much stock in this review, but maybe someone else can shed light on this person's comment.

The second review, more constructive than the first, said the hotel could be wonderful but in dire need of renovation. I know the hotel has Victorian furnishings that are supposed to be charming, so perhaps this reviewer wanted something more modern? I love charming and quaint, but not beat up and and dusty looking.

Anyone stay there recently or any Londoner who can shed better light on accomodations and service at Five Sumner Place?

Thanks!!!

elaine Jun 23rd, 2004 01:14 PM

I haven't stayed there, just strolled by and of course you know that the location is excellent.

One person's charming can be another person's shabby; it's a fine line sometimes. A couple of years ago I stayed in Knightsbridge at the Claverley. In the past it has won accommodations awards for all-around excellence. I found the location to be great, the rooms and public areas were very very clean, but shabby in some ways--threadbare towels, carpeting fraying. For the price, I didn't feel the value was there--either they should have charged less, or I should have gone to a cheaper place and at least felt I was getting what I was paying for. I'll be interested to read more about 5 Sumner as it has long been on my London list as a place to try.

tripgirl Jun 23rd, 2004 02:34 PM

Thanks Elaine!!

any other fodorite thoughts?

m_kingdom2 Jun 23rd, 2004 02:52 PM

If it's cheap then you won't be too disappointed if it's not up to scratch. However, if you could advise your budget, myself as well as other will be able to recommend some alternatives.

tripgirl Jun 24th, 2004 04:32 AM

5 Sumner is not cheap and it does not matter. We have a budget for around $250-$300 per night.

I don't really want to cancel 5 Sumner unless it has turned out a nightmare for any recent fodorites.

They have a 14 day cancellation policy and we arrive July 9th.

degas Jun 24th, 2004 05:08 AM

tripgirl, can you tell us what you are paying?

I stayed there a couple of years ago. Thought the rooms were nice enough and the staff was okay. Not overly friendly but that is rare these days anywhere you go. They did provide good info and the breakfast lady came in 30 minutes early so we could eat and still catch a flight.

You already know the location is great.

elaine Jun 24th, 2004 05:19 AM

Hi
IF you are having 2nd thoughts, look into the Knightsbridge Hotel, on Beaufort Gardens (next door to the Claverley, as it happens.) I think it makes it into your price range. Completely gut renovated a couple of years ago, great, quiet, convenient location. A friend of mine has stayed there twice, and has raved. It might be a little above your price, not sure.

jody Jun 24th, 2004 06:54 AM

It's been a few years since we stayed at #5, but it was okay then. We do find that we prefer the garden Room at the Astor , right next door to #5 or Number 16 across the street because it has a nice drawing room for relaxing outside of your bedroom.

m_kingdom2 Jun 24th, 2004 09:42 AM

If money isn't an issue then stay at one of THE hotels in London, i.e. one of the top ones. If Sumner Place was cheap, which let's face it 250/300USD isn't then change it. If it was 180/230USD then you might be more lenient about sloppy service.

ChatNoir Jun 24th, 2004 09:59 AM

Who said anything about sloppy service?

m_kingdom2 Jun 24th, 2004 10:01 AM

"Anti American" accusations are most probably levied as a result of sloppy service.

elaine Jun 24th, 2004 11:16 AM

gee, sloppy service to me conjures ideas like forgetting to return my drycleaning or failing to make my dinner reservations or not cleaning the bathroom properly. None of which necessarily point to me any anti-any nationality. Prejudice based on nationality is to me not sloppy service, but ignorant and unacceptable behavior.

m_kingdom2 Jun 24th, 2004 11:50 AM

The customer was probably using this "anti-american" label as an explanation for what was simply poor service. How can you tell that someone is racist by their service? Unless they operate apartheid in the dining room, you can't. Furthermore, it is a very serious accusation when it was merely putting 2 and 2 together and making 5.

tripgirl Jun 24th, 2004 12:08 PM

No need to worry about discussing Anti American setiments on this thread anymore!

I switched us to No. Sixteen Sumner and feel great about it.

While I did do my research about 5 Sumner and usually take reviews with a grain of salt, I don't know...the little "voice" inside of me said switch.

A lovely, lovely receptionist named Nadine at No. sixteen took care of everything for me today and she was most delightful; a good indication of good service.

Anyway, I am pleased that I switched; but who knows for all I know 5 Sumner is still an excellent choice, but I have a good feeling about No. Sixteen and the more I research it further today, I am most pleased.

Thanks all!

She gave me a weekend rate of 170# exclusive of 17% VAT. So more than 5 Sumner, but that's London! Don't mind though; the rest of the trip is planned for Scotland and Ireland where we are staying at extraordinary places and I want to be sure we get off right with a lovely place in London!

m_kingdom2 Jun 24th, 2004 12:50 PM

170GBP per night? I'm shocked, for a little more you can have a deluxe property.

tripgirl Jun 24th, 2004 02:46 PM

Thanks but with 17% VAT taxes included it comes to just under $400 per night and that is plenty to spend!!

I like the idea of a small property; I want S Kensington this time in London, we want to be near V&A, sloan Street Shopping, etc.

So yes, I know the deluxe hotels have their merits, but we'll be just fine!

There are many propertiers booked for this trip, so one has their dollar limits, you know!

But thanks for the idea!

m_kingdom2 Jun 24th, 2004 02:52 PM

For 400USD you can get a room at Claridge's, The Dorchester, The Savoy, The Berkeley, The Carlton... Whilst small properties have their merits they should be far far cheaper than that!

tripgirl Jun 24th, 2004 02:54 PM

I'm not sure when you checked prices last, but rooms start at 400# at some of these places.

If you really know for sure, I'd listen, but I checked out the luxury properties and no go on keeping to $400 a night.

m_kingdom2 Jun 24th, 2004 03:14 PM

I've even checked for you with your dates: Claridge's is 204GBP per night which is around 370 USD and this price includes VAT and is through their own web-site - you will not be disappointed if you stay there!

m_kingdom2 Jun 24th, 2004 03:19 PM

Furthermore - via expedia.com I found you the following rates:

Claridge's 396USD

The Connaught 365USD

The Savoy 329USD

The Berkeley 365USD

So please please please change your reservation.