Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

London Eye...when is the best time to ride? Daytime or after sundown?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29th, 2002, 10:19 AM
Ann

Planning to be in London in July. The London Eye has been recommended to me by several people. We can make advance reservations but I don't know when we should go.....during the day or at sundown etc.? Any advice would be much appreciated.

Old Mar 29th, 2002, 12:18 PM
Ellen

I have heard that sunset is a spectacular time to go up. In July, that's after 9 PM. I believe that the Eye starts runs until 10 PM in summer. <BR><BR>One hazard of booking far in advance is that you might end up with tickets for a rainy day; I would wait until arrival and buy the tickets a day or two in advance after listening to the weather forecast.

Old Mar 29th, 2002, 12:19 PM
mike

The London Eye is on the south side of the river, so if you want a photo (or best light) for the north side I would go in the morning. Night might be nice, say right at dusk when the lights of the city are on but there is still some "fill" light from twilight. M.

Old Mar 29th, 2002, 02:53 PM
janis

Topping in case Ann doesn't see the other thread:<BR><BR>Ann - You will love the Eye. If you have a choice, in July I'd go late. Best is either about 3 hours before sunset OR right at sunset. (In the hour or two before sunset the sun is low in the sky and there is a glare so you really can't see towards the west very well)

Old Mar 29th, 2002, 05:25 PM
Ann

Thanks for the advice and the topping! We are only there on a layover so we won't arrive until early afternoon. So really I only have a choice between late afternoon and of course evening. Since we plan to sightsee a little, I think we will plan a late ride on the Eye. The weather channel says that the sun sets at 8:59PM on July 25th. What do you all think...8:30PM ride?

Old Mar 30th, 2002, 07:09 AM
ttt

to the top

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 04:23 AM
R

go on twice!! It's not expensive, unless you have a large family, so spoil yourselves!

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 05:56 AM
anne

What is the London Eye?

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 06:06 AM
andrew

Anne - The London Eye is the giant ferris wheel that gives you views of london - enter "londoneye" into your internet search engine and there will be more information about it

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 06:07 AM
bettyk

Try this:<BR><BR>http://www.londoneye.com/

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 09:20 AM
janis

Not to nit pick - but the Eye is not actually a "Ferris" wheel. The wheel at the Place de la Concorde is a Ferris wheel - it makes multiple loops.<BR><BR>The Eye is an observation wheel since it only makes one loop per ride. At 450 feet it is the tallest in the world. The Eye travels very slowly so it takes 30 minutes for one rotation.

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 07:26 PM
marnie

...and, what I was happy to note, it's not like what I think of as a Ferris Wheel where you're strapped into a little two-seater out in the open air. A kind respondent to a post I made pointed out that these are cars, holding 25 people or so, in which you can get up and move around, sit on the centre seating unit, get a great view in multiple directions.............

Old Apr 4th, 2002, 01:05 AM
david west

Another way to see London at night (and rather swish too) is to have a drink at the bar at 24 (still universally known as the Nat West Tower) or alternatively in the bar at the Hilton in Park LAne. Both have fabulous views (neither are cheap though, they cost nothing for admission but charge like a wounded bull for drinks)