Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   London Eye - Fast-Track Tickets (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/london-eye-fast-track-tickets-606495/)

dj_canada Apr 9th, 2006 04:00 PM

London Eye - Fast-Track Tickets

Should I spend the extra to purchase fast-track tickets for later afternoon flight for a Saturday in late June?

Has anyone done the river cruise offered on London Eye website?

janisj Apr 9th, 2006 04:04 PM

Why would one need to pay extra to buy an advance ticket? You can buy tickets to the Eye any time - at the Eye itself, or in a TIC like the one at Victoria station. So just buy a ticket for when you want to "fly" the Eye - same price.

Neopolitan Apr 9th, 2006 04:05 PM

I would avoid any pre booked tickets, as you may find it rainy, foggy, or otherwise not a good time to do it.

jgg Apr 9th, 2006 04:14 PM

I do not believe dj canada is talking about advance tickets, but the "fast track" tickets. If you pay extra you can avoid waiting in the line to get on the London Eye. I believe you just check in 15 minutes before your scheduled flight.

We were just there two weeks ago, but we waited in about a 15 minute line to buy our tickets and got on right away as it was not crowded in March. Unfortunately, I can't help you with June, hopefully someone else can.

gomiki Apr 9th, 2006 04:44 PM

I was on the London Eye this past Monday. How much more are the fast-track tickets? I think it sounds like a busy time. I spoke with an attendant(on Friday) who said the lines would be VERY long on the weekend..and this was end of March. As we were speaking with him we noticed a bridal party (!) in line for the Eye. I would have thought they would have reserved a pod.

We did a river cruise as part of a hop on/off bus. It was OK. The sound system was bad and it was hard to hear the highpoints being pointed out. It was good to put everything in a frame of reference from the river.

obxgirl Apr 9th, 2006 05:36 PM

If you can purchase the "fast track" tickets the day you want to ride the Eye, I'd definitely consider it if you've got a clear summer weekend day. Others have reported long lines on these days.

Elsewise I'd agree with the other posters who say pre-booking a day when you don't know the weather is a bit of a crap shoot and not worth the extra cash.

janisj Apr 9th, 2006 08:17 PM

OK - <u>all</u> Eye tickets are for a specific time so I can't see how a &quot;fast track&quot; ticket can possibly save much if any time. Maybe 15 minutes at most.

If you have a 5:30 ticket the latest you will board will be about 5:45. So a 5:30 fast track ticket <i>might</i> get you on 5 or 10 minutes faster. They don't let folks with later ticket times queue up at the boarding ramp until just before their designated time. So even if there are a LOT of folks on the Eye that day, you still have your set time to board.