Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   London Eye (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/london-eye-378919/)

Raymond Nov 25th, 2003 04:49 PM

London Eye

Is it true that you need to book ahead for London Eye ? How far ahead ?
What would the queueing time if not booked ahead ? How much is it ?

The trouble is if you book ahead and the weather turns out to be bad, it would be a waste of time.

Grasshopper Nov 25th, 2003 04:57 PM

It depends completely on when you go. We went last March and had pre-booked for 5 pm. We got there at 4:30 and there was no line at all. We got right on. If you go in the summer it might be very crowded. If you want the prime "sunset" times, it might be more crowded too.

mendota98 Nov 25th, 2003 07:08 PM

I seem to recall the price being about $10 per person. It's a great ride on a clear day as you can easily pick out many buildings. We were there last year the week before New Year's and there was a 10 minute line so no need for reservations.

panhandle Nov 25th, 2003 07:08 PM

Depending on the season dont worry about booking ahead. Wait until you get to London and book through your hotel or other ticketer. Beware of extra charges though we didnt have a problem but...cant be tooo careful.We wanted decent weather when we went so we waited
till it was a nice day and booked in the morning for a afternoon flight.Remember too that when booking in advance (at least through the hotel for us) we still had to queue to get bourding passes so it didnt seem like it saved much time....any other thoughts on that anyone???

SusanP Nov 25th, 2003 07:11 PM

We got there about a minute before closing at the end of Sept, no line and only 5 people in our cubicle. The price is 11 GBP, or $17-19 depending on the exchange rate. It was a great ride.

AAFrequentFlyer Nov 25th, 2003 07:23 PM

Also, I believe it closes for yearly maintenance after New Years for about 3 weeks or 4 weeks.

jnn1964 Nov 26th, 2003 06:15 AM

Would you believe that my 2004 Fodor's London guide book does not even mention the London Eye? It's not even on any of the maps. What's the deal with that? It makes me wonder what else they've left out!

Degas Nov 26th, 2003 06:19 AM

I think they left that terrible "eye-sore" out on purpose. So sorry, just could not help myself.

PalQ Nov 26th, 2003 06:21 AM

Was there in August and even though London was so crowded there was no wait for the Eye the several times i went by it and I asked the ticket desk and they said there is rarely a wait, so don't worry about it. Spectacular ride somewhat worth the about $20 fee.

Keith Nov 26th, 2003 07:37 AM

jnn1964

IIRC, it also still says that the duty free limit returning to the US is $400.

Keith

Lori Nov 26th, 2003 07:47 AM

We've been on the Eye 3 times and the first was the only time we booked ahead and that was right after it just opened. I'd wait till I was in London if I were you so you can be sure of the weather. I do recommend twilight, it's lovely at that time of day.

jnn1964 Nov 26th, 2003 07:52 AM

As a souvenir I'd like to get a miniture model of the London Eye. Has anyone seen those for sale?

Kate Nov 27th, 2003 04:14 AM

The only time you should think about booking would be on a sunny weekend - the rest of the time it's fine.