Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   London Eye (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/london-eye-356372/)

hellokittygeorgia May 7th, 2008 09:46 AM

London Eye

I would like to get your opinions on the London Eye. Is it worth it to pay $35 per ticket for a ferris wheel? We are on a fairly tight budget. Some say it is a must and others have said to skip it.

tnnonline May 7th, 2008 09:49 AM

My friends and I are preparing to go to London in July. I saw tickets on Expedia for the Eye at $26.70.

We are doing our best to buy everything we can in advance, especially if we can pay in dollars. Plus, who wants to have to wait in the que to buy tickets and then wait in another que for the attraction?

phillyboy May 7th, 2008 09:54 AM

I would skip it. I did it on a trip to London with friends in 2002, and thought it was highly over-rated and over-priced, and vowed not to waste my time or money on it when I returned.

We went back to London with our daughter in November of last year, and she REALLY wanted to do it ... so we went on it again, hoping it would somehow be better than we'd remembered ... it wasn't.

see_the_world7 May 7th, 2008 09:56 AM

I would hesitate to buy tickets to the London Eye ahead of time (even if the price is discounted). If it is foggy or cloudy it is not worth it at all. You won't be able to see much of anything.

I've been on it twice (the second time my parents were visiting us and wanted to go). The first time we were on just at sunset on a clear night and that was beautiful, but I'm still not sure it is really worth the money.

hellokittygeorgia May 7th, 2008 09:59 AM

Thanks I think you have all been really helpful.

tnnonline May 7th, 2008 10:04 AM

Thanks for the advice. I looked over the Expedia requirements for the Eye; we might wait to purchase our tickets and go there first, pending weather, the que, and what we really need/want to see.

PDersch May 7th, 2008 10:04 AM

The students I have traveled with have loved it! So if you are with young people, I would say do it. We have always gone in the evening and the light in the sky makes for beautiful photos.

Cholmondley_Warner May 7th, 2008 10:11 AM

I think it's great. You do need the weather though.

Also from mid-june London will have two eyes - there will be one in Greenwich too. I've no idea what that'll cost.

hellokittygeorgia May 7th, 2008 10:18 AM

How long does the ride last and if we do it how much time should we allow for it?

Cholmondley_Warner May 7th, 2008 10:25 AM

It lasts (from memory) about 20 minutes. If you haven't got tickets the queues can be long.

mnapoli May 7th, 2008 10:28 AM

It's definitely not worth it. My family and I were on the London Eye last year, and my daughters' reaction was "So what's the big deal". Save your money and have a nice dinner.

cynthia_booker May 7th, 2008 10:46 AM

It is a matter of opinion but I think it is worth it. And I purchased the ticket in advance on Expedia.
However, don't be tempted by the higher-priced special treatment ticket. That line was so much longer and we were on the ride way ahead of those that paid more for special treatment.
And don't reserve for a specific time.

janisj May 7th, 2008 11:01 AM

The ride takes 30 minutes. Do not buy tix ahead of time - the Eye is one of the most weather sensitive attractions anywhere.

Most definitely "worth" it - but do not pay any ticket brokers or a premium to buy ahead of time. Adults are £15.50 = $30. Less for seniors and under 16 yo.

(BTW - it isn't a ferris wheel. It only makes one revolution. And you will not experience ANY Ferris wheel sensations since the movement is almost imperceptible. The pods are very large so it is more like being in a window lined penthouse than being on a "ride"

janisj May 7th, 2008 11:33 AM

oh - to clarify - I didn't mean the Eye stops in the rain. I meant the ride is MUCH more enjoyable when you can actually see things . . . . .

twk May 7th, 2008 11:50 AM

I did it and reccommend it. You must wait to purchase your tickets as weather is a prime consdieration. I also would not want to do it at a time when they had long lines. We did it on a Friday night in early June (about 7:30) and had only 10 minutes of standing in line to buy tickets, then straight onto the Eye with no waiting after that.

One thing I will add: it probably adds to the enjoyment if you know what you are looking at. If you go up there and have no idea what London landmarks you are seeing, I can see where it wouldn't be that appealing. So, if you don't know London geography fairly well, it may just all look like an urban blur, save for Parliament and St. Paul's.

janisj May 7th, 2008 12:00 PM

You can buy the guide book which has panoramic photos w/ all the main sites noted, so you'll know what you are looking at.

(When the Eye first started there was a host/guide in every capsule who pointed out the sites. But now you'd have to fork over for a champagne flight to have a host. And they spend most of the time pouring champagne - not describing the scene)

stfc May 7th, 2008 12:00 PM

Simply, it gives the London equivalent of the view from the Empire State Building or the Top of the Rock in NYC. Take it or leave it, but I thought it was excellent.

KidsToLondon May 8th, 2008 06:10 AM

Worth it? Yes, if you go at sunset on a clear day.

Sarvowinner May 8th, 2008 06:18 AM

We did it between Xmas and NYE in 2005 and thought it was fantastic. The weather was clear and it really puts London in perspective.

MelJ May 8th, 2008 06:46 AM

We did it in April 2007 with our two kids and two grandkids. It was just okay for the grown-ups, but the kids thought it was awesome.