Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   London Eye (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/london-eye-226129/)

wendy May 28th, 2002 07:01 PM

London Eye

Can anyone tell me in which part of town the London Eye is located? Do you need to buy tickets in advance? Is it worth the trip?<BR><BR>Thanks

Aunt Jennie May 28th, 2002 07:20 PM

Run a search for the London Eye on this web site and you'll find lots of discussion on it. It's located right across the Thames from Westminster Abbey. Depending on when you go, you may need advance tickets. Worth the trip? For children, I think so. For adults, it's a big slow ferris wheel with a view of several sites from the air. We went on a hazy day and it wasn't too illuminating. Be sure to buy the book on what you will see at the bottom before you begin, unless you really know London. There is no information built into the car on what is out there.

kate May 29th, 2002 04:35 AM

1. It's on the South side of Westminster Bridge, opposite the Houses of Parliament - take the Tube to Westminster and walk over the bridge.<BR><BR>2. You don't HAVE to book for midweek but I would recommend it. It's essential for the weekend.<BR><BR>3. Yes, I'd say it's worth it

Jon May 29th, 2002 04:46 AM

you don't have to buy tickets in advance.<BR>Speaking for myself, I don't find it value for money. For 10.5 pounds, you stay in a cabin for half an hour, with a static view of the Thames that's about all it is, so you get rather bored after a while.

janis May 29th, 2002 09:20 AM

maybe Jon is the fellow who started the "bored by London" thread. There is nothing boring about the Eye. it is not meant to be a thrill ride - in fact it is not a Ferris wheel, but an observation wheel.<BR><BR>You get the most magnificent views of all of greater London - now if you haven't done any homework and have no clue of what you are looking at you might get bored . . . .

MarciaB May 29th, 2002 10:13 AM

I was in London two weeks ago and happened to get a partially clear day, so went on the London Eye. I would recommend it if the line is not too long. It is a wonderful overview of London. It's not one of those things that I would say is a must see in London, though.

KenCT May 29th, 2002 11:12 AM

I'm pretty jaded, but I thought it was great. I think this is one of those attractions that has more significance if you know the city well. If you don't know what you're looking at, the the ride won't be of much significance, but if you can recognize landmarks, it is much more meaningful.<BR><BR>One of the highlights of a recent ride was eavesdropping on a couple pointing out to their young children where they met, where Daddy took Mommy on their first date, etc. Now that I think of it, you see far more local people at the London Eye that you do at other tourist attractions.

Lori May 29th, 2002 11:48 AM

We've been on the Eye twice now, one about 10 a.m. and this April at sunset (8 p.m.) Both were great, it's a lovely way to see the city from a different angle for sure and well worth it I think. I reserved tickets ahead both times, the first time it was really necessary it was very crowded, the evening ride was not, you could have walked up and bought tickets. It's supposed to be a slow ride not a white knuckler at Magic Mountain. For those who are expecting amusement park thrills I'd say go to an amusement park. We also saw a lot more "locals" on the ride this second time.

Capo May 29th, 2002 11:55 AM

I saw a TV program about the London Eye which mentioned that it was a husband & wife team, David Marks & Julia Barfield, who had the winning entry in the design competition. Their metaphor was the wheel representing the turning of the century.<BR><BR>The program didn't mention what a website I found does mention, that it was Julia who found the site, Jubilee Gardens on the South Bank, by drawing a circle around London and finding the exact center. <BR>

valuent Jun 9th, 2002 04:50 PM

I heartily recommend going on the London Eye and buying the "tour book" that they sell. The cars are marked north, south, east and west and the book is marked the same. So when you face the north, you can refer to the book and identify all of the buildings you see, etc. Don't worry if you are afraid of heights - it moves so slowly you are not aware of the movement and you don't look straight down so you don't really get the sensation you do when you climb a tall ladder at home.

lisa Jun 10th, 2002 01:43 AM

thanks for the info. does anyone know how much the guide books at the bottom cost? (in GBP please)