Reload this Page >

London Experts: Give Me a Quick Sanity Check

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9th, 2003, 02:13 PM
Degas

Here's a notional day I was tinkering with. Please comment and suggest other options. Been several times to London and like to walk. Flexible enough to linger if things get interesting, but like to "keep moving". Times are just rough guides and its not designed to be a military road march.

0900 View Big Ben/Parliament
0930 Westminster Abbey
1100 Horse Guards Parade
1130 Overview Tour: National Gallery
1300 Lunch Options

St. Martin's Church Crypt (Trafalgar)
Salisbury Pub (90 St. Martain Lane)
Gordon?s Wine Bar (47 Villiars st)
Clarence Pub (Whitehall St)
Chandos Bar Opera Room (Trafalger)

1400 Bookstore Exploration

Foyles 113 Charing Cross Rd
Waterstones 121 Charing Cross Rd
Murder One 71 Charing Cross Rd
Taveler's 25 Cecil CT
Stanford's 12-14 Long Acre

1600 Theatre Museum in Covent Garden

1700 St. Paul's Church & Garden on Bedford St in Covent Garden

1730 Nell of Old Drury or Lamb & Flag

1830 Walk Strand & view Somerset House

1930 Pub grub at the Devereux

Old Oct 9th, 2003, 02:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You need to add one more entry:

2000 Collapse.

Seriously, it is too ambitious. For example in the afternoon let's assume you only spend a half hour in the Theatre Museum (cutting it much too short to make it worthwhile) since you'll need the better part of a half hour to get to St. Pauls for a 5 minute look at most, since it will really take you another half hour to get back to Lamb and Flag. And it may take you 15 minutes to get your drink that you'll have to gulp.

Maybe if you cut out the Theatre Museum and possibly the National Gallery, I think you could make it work. To me going into almost any museum for only a half hour or less, is only going for the sake of saying you've been there.
Old Oct 9th, 2003, 02:34 PM
Degas

patrick, fair enough. And its funny, but I did intend to go straight to the hotel and fall on the bed! LOL.

The St. Pauls I mentioned was the small church and not the big one. Just wanted to stick my head inside.

I expected to save the Theatre Museum for another day if I was running late from the bookstore stroll.

And planned to eat a little later if the pub stop was pushed back.

Old Oct 9th, 2003, 02:41 PM

It is rather full, but looks doeable if you know exactly where you are going and walk briskly.

I think the St. Pauls you are talking about is right in Covent Garden near the Museum and fairly close to the two pubs. You have to walk past Somerset House to get to the Devereux and it looks to be a fairly short walk on my map.
Old Oct 9th, 2003, 02:51 PM

technically all that is possible - but "view Somerset House" is kind of a waste.

It is a great bldg and it is wonderful that it has been opened up to the public and that old nasty car park converted to a lovely courtyard. But the best part of it is to go inside and see the art and exhibits and stop for a coffee and people watch. IMHO just walking by for a peek is not really worth much . . . .
Old Oct 9th, 2003, 02:57 PM
Degas

Hi Janis

I agree and plan to come back later that week to go inside and maybe have lunch.

I just love the look of the building and its on the way to supper. Was just going to do a bit of a zig-zag and peek at the river and the courtyard to get away from the traffic on the Strand.

Old Oct 9th, 2003, 03:03 PM

OK - as long as you PROMISE to go back another day
Old Oct 9th, 2003, 03:05 PM
dumas1870

degas, I think it was you who put me on to the Courtauld Gallery which is just off the Strand and at the front of Somerset House. Great Impressionist paintings inside and often not crowded at all. Used to be free on tuesday?

Old Oct 9th, 2003, 03:11 PM
Degas

dumas, isn't that a nice little place?

I stumbled on it when I hopped off a bus to take a look at Somerset House. Firsrt trip to london and had no idea where I was and nor what the name of the place I was attracted to. I think it is free one day (I have paid), but don't recall which day that is.

Old Oct 9th, 2003, 05:09 PM

Admission to the Courtauld is free on Monday from 10 am to 2 pm (except public holidays).
Old Oct 9th, 2003, 05:14 PM

If I were to walk into even one bookstore, I'd spend the rest of the day there until dragged out. One reason why I never allow myself into bookstores while on vacation. But perhaps you are a) more disciplined than I am (which is likely) or b) looking for a specific title?

As you have been several times to London, presumably you have a good idea of what kind of pace you want to keep. However, (for example) 30 minutes for St. Paul's does seem a bit rushed, unless you've been there before and just refreshing your memory?

PS I found your title a tad intimidating, I'd say that the board has but one London expert, the inimitable Ben Haines.

Old Oct 9th, 2003, 06:07 PM
Degas

Yes, Ben is the tried and true expert. I also value and like to get the views of all the folks on this forum who know and love London.

Sorry for the confusion on St. Paul's. I'm not talking about the cathderal, but the church in Covent Garden. It is supposed to have a pretty garden and has been associated with the theatre for a long time. Many famous actors are buried there or commemorated inside. My Blue Guide says the portico is the setting of the opening scene of Pygmalion where Eliza Doolittle attempts to sell her violets.

Old Oct 9th, 2003, 06:16 PM

Dear Degas,
We head straight to Covent Garden as soon as we arrive in London, I love it there! St Pauls is right there and has a lovely garden that I like to sit in for a moment and just appreciate being there. It won't cost you but a minute to go inside..unless you are detained by one of the mimes outside or the wonderful musicians that play there sometimes ~ We like to go to the cinema right around the corner from there..nothing like a civilized cocktail before sitting down to watch a movie~
Old Oct 9th, 2003, 06:42 PM
Degas

Scarlett, I just knew you would know how to find an outstanding place to properly savoy a fine travel moment.

I've gone to movies in Paris and Vienna, but never London. Might give it a try next time.

Have you ever stuck your head in the Royal Opera House - I think its supposed to be close by?

Old Oct 9th, 2003, 06:53 PM

Yes, the Opera House is right there! We had dinner at Bertellinis and went to the Opera, my first trip to London, way back in the early 90's. It has been re-done since then.
In Knightsbridge is a lovely small movie theatre called the Minema Cinema, that is my favorite.
Old Oct 9th, 2003, 06:55 PM

Yes - the Opera House is right there. And they do back stage tours if rehearsals are not going on.

Also the Theatre Royal Drury lane is right there too and also gives backstage tours - REALLY interesting. You even get to go under the stage to see the 200 year old hydraulic system that moves the stage platforms.
Old Oct 9th, 2003, 07:52 PM

May I dissent: there are plenty of London experts on this forum. You have heard already from the knowledgeable Janis

I agree with comment given so far, and add that the Devereaux Arms has meals at lunchtime only. In the evening near Trafalgar Square you can sup at Gordons Wine Bart or by footbridge over the river on the South Bank

[email protected]
Old Oct 9th, 2003, 08:01 PM

Degas,
I think you and your bride would be well served to wear a Depends that day as you won't have time to....at that pace! You are too much!
Old Oct 10th, 2003, 04:49 AM
Degas

Ben, thanks for the Devereux info, I thought they served food at night. Saved me a big disapointment.

Calamari, one does have to respect the call of nature. And it calls often after a few pints.

But can you just imagine the size of the DEPENDs me and the "little wife" would have to wear? Talk about one terrible disposal experience for the hotel maid the next morning!

Old Oct 10th, 2003, 05:14 AM

After several visits, I am not a London expert, just a London student.
To offer an alternative viewpoint, I am a theatre buff and found the Theatre Museum disappointing--I wanted to see lots of memorbilia, there was very little on display.

I do like St Paul's church for its memorials to theatre folk.

do you have this website?
http://www.coventgardenlife.com/sigh...uls_church.htm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -