Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

London, Edinburgh and then where? Also bars/festivals and music suggestiosn?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7th, 2001, 08:26 AM
Amy L.

Goign to London Nov. 1-5, then going on a trip for 6 days or so through the rest of the UK. Definitely want to hit Edinburgh, thinking Lake District, and not sure where else? Want to get a good taste for the whole area in a short period of time. Any suggestions, we'll be renting a car- we are 25 yr. old girls - so looking for fun bars too along the way! Any festivals, fairs. Please consider the time of year and our age when you respond- thank you!!!

Old Sep 7th, 2001, 09:15 AM
janis

Edinburgh and the Lake District are wonderful -- BUT an awfully long way to drive from London (and from each other) for just a few days. That isn't the most practical itinerary - especially for possibly wintry November. <BR> <BR>So if your heart is set on Edinburgh and the Lakes (not much "clubbing" in the lake district, by the way), take the train from Kings Cross to Edinburgh. Spend 2 or 3 days there, then pick up a rental car, drive to the Lakes and then south to Heathrow to fly home. <BR> <BR>But for such a short trip I would definitly chuck the Lakes. Since you sound like you want a lively scene - London and Edinburgh fill the bill nicely. You could rent a car for day trips from Edinburgh.

Old Sep 7th, 2001, 10:59 AM
Rick

Check Rick Steves website www.ricksteves.com. He has some good ideas on what you should see if you have a limited amount of time. <BR> <BR>You may want to consider Blenheim, Bath, the Cotswolds area and Cambridge which are not that far from London. Other choices are York and Stratford, Warwick and North Wales. <BR> <BR>Pubs are in every town, so you shouldn't have a problem finding bars. Check out the newspapers for music and theaters. www.thetimes.co.uk. <BR> <BR>Also, checkout www.easyjet.com - its like the southwest airlines of the UK. You can get cheap flights from Luton Airport (30 min north of London) to Edinburgh or Glasgow. You can catch a Greenline bus (www.greenline.co.uk)from London to Luton for 8 pounds one way - they run every 30 minutes. Book both the airfare and bus service on-line. A voucher with a confirmation number will be emailed to you. <BR> <BR>There is a link to hotels on the easyjet website. Use that for booking hotel rooms. <BR> <BR>I am going next week (Sept 13-19) and have used those websites. Email me when I return and I can let you know if it was worth it.

Old Sep 10th, 2001, 10:19 AM
Amy L.

Ok...how far is london to scotland? Obviously I don't know!!! Should we rent a car and drive to edinburgh so we see sites along the way, if so where should we stop? Or should we get to edinburgh and then rent a car?? also interetsd in cheap ways of travel!!! we want fun but we also want to see beautiful scenery, churches, castles, etc.

Old Sep 10th, 2001, 11:53 AM
tom

Amy - suggest you look at a map first. Doesn't seem like you have done any research at all. <BR> <BR>Six days to drive from London to edinburgh to the lake district to london, in november no less, is not good planning. <BR> <BR>Take the train (4 hours) instead of driving (8+ hours - more if you have never driven in England) <BR> <BR>Spend the whole time in Edinburgh and take tours from there or rent a car for day trips. Then train back to London. <BR> <BR>Or spend 3 days in Edinburgh, take the train to York and stay 2 or 3 days. Then back to London to fly home. You can see all kinds of casltes in/around both Edinburgh and York. Plus both (especially Edinburgh) have fun nightlife.