Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

London, Edinburgh and Bath Itinerary questions.

Mar 2nd, 2010, 01:58 PM
Original Poster

My wife and I will be landing at Heathrow @ 10:30 am after flying from USA. We need to arrive in Bath that afternoon spending 3 days and then we want to plan 3 days in Edinburgh and 4 days in London.

Best suggestions to get from Heathrow to Bath including approximate costs.
Best suggestions to get from Bath to Edinburgh including approximate costs.
Best suggestions to get from Edinburgh to London including approximate costs.

I would rather use public transportation than renting a car.
Do you know which terminal we will arrive in taking Virgin Atlantic from NYC?

Thanks for your help as always!
Mar 3rd, 2010, 04:30 AM
Original Poster

Still interested in help.

Thanks again!
Mar 3rd, 2010, 04:40 AM

LHR to Bath - coach - see www.nationalexpress.co.uk. If you don't get direct coaches then remove the terminal number from your selection - costs about £20

Bath to Edinburgh - Fly - from Bristol with Easyjet. Book early for best prices starting at around £25 per person plus extras

Edinburgh to London - Train - see www.eastcoast.co.uk and book 6-12 weeks in adabnce when the cheap fares become available - starts at around £15 per person one way. You could also consider the Caledonian Sleeper operated by www.firstscotail.com. Prices start at £19 for a bargain berth which even includes a very basic breakfast and saves a night's accommodation costs
Mar 3rd, 2010, 04:45 AM

I'll give it a shot!

Heathrow to Bath - you need to take a coach (bus) to Reading I believe and then the train from Reading to Bath Spa. The train is direct and takes about an hour. It looks like they run every 30 or so minutes.
2 adult tickets for tomorrow afternoon are showing at £32 total. You can check timetables at www.nationalrail.co.uk I believe the earlier you book your tickets the cheaper they are.

Bath to Edinburgh - You can take a train although you need to go through London. The train runs into Paddington, you need to then take the tube to Kings Cross and pick up the train to Edinburgh via York. Total travel time is showing at approx 6.5 hours. Prices for tomorrow range from £261 - £315 for 2 total. Again, check train times and routing and pricing at www.nationalrail.co.uk

Another (Better?) option would be to fly. Flybe flies from Exeter to Edinburgh with prices starting at around £64 each for this weekend. www.flybe.com

Edinburgh to London - taking the train will take between 4.5 - 5.5 hours and cost approx £108 for 2 total for tomorrows date.

Or you can fly - many airlines fly between the two cities. Try www.whichbudget.com for low-cost, or regular carriers like www.ba.com

Hope this helps!
Mar 3rd, 2010, 04:49 AM

Ahh - forgot about Bristol! Good to know!
Mar 8th, 2010, 09:15 AM
Original Poster

If I only have 3 days to spend in Edinburgh is it possible for me to explore some of the Highland as well in that time? Will we have to rent a car or can we explore both the city and the country without one?
Mar 8th, 2010, 12:46 PM

I think you would have plenty to do without that as well, but you could take one of the one day mini bus tours. look at Rabbie's Timberbush, Macbackpackers, Haggis.
Mar 12th, 2010, 09:44 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions!

Here's a new possibility: I rent a car at Heathrow upon arriving. Drive to Bath for three days, expore Bath and the Cotswalds, Instead of going to Edinburgh I choose to explore the English countryside for 3 days and then head to London. What suggestions for other towns/villages would anyone have?
Mar 12th, 2010, 11:18 AM

<<< Here's a new possibility: I rent a car at Heathrow upon arriving. >>>

And then wrap it round a tree or someone else because you are jet lagged.

HERE'S a new possibility - you get the coach to Bath THEN hire a car after a good night's sleep. Besides Bath horrible for parking and your hire car would be an expensive useless ornament while you are there.
Mar 12th, 2010, 12:45 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Alan for your comment. OK. I rent the car after my stay in Bath (3 nights). Other than the Cotswald's where can my wife and I visit for 3 days before heading back to London?
Mar 12th, 2010, 01:29 PM

BTW, it's the CotswOlds.