Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

London ..eating near Victoria and Pimlico

Nov 9th, 2006, 04:28 AM
Original Poster

Hi..We are staying at the Luna and Simone Hotel on Belgrave Road. It is about halfway between Victoria and Pimlico stations. I am looking for suggestions for pubs, restaurants etc nearby. (Or in Westminster). I am always looking for budget places...if such a thing exists any more.
Thanks!
Nov 9th, 2006, 07:11 AM

It's been two years since I was in London, but I stayed near the Victoria station. The 3 places I can recommend are Jenny Lo's Tea House (really good Asian food), Goya (a Spanish restaurant) and Seafresh (served good fish & chips and had a pretty decent green salad). At the Victoria station (at least at the time I was there) there was a Marks & Spencer where I got a pretty good salad and a Pret a Manger (excellent variety of sandwiches). If you like chocolate there was a place on Eccleston street called the Chocolate Society Shop and next to them a really good pastry shop.

I hope this help. Like I said it has been two years, so I have no idea what is still open.
Nov 9th, 2006, 07:53 AM

Jenny Lo's Tea House was open in May of 2005 when I was in London. The food was excellent and reasonably-priced. Cash only and limited seating capacity.
Nov 9th, 2006, 09:09 AM

Any addresses for these places? will be at that hotel later next week and this would be helpful
Nov 9th, 2006, 10:21 AM

We enjoyed a nice meal at Bumbles, 16 Buckingham Palace Road. Reviews here:
http://www.london-eating.co.uk/2494.htm

As for pubs, this is what Fancyapint.com writes about the area:
"If proof were needed that Civil Servants are a thirsty lot, all you need do is have a walk between Westminster, Pimlico and Victoria. Pubs abound on almost every corner, and the area around Horseferry Road is particularly flushed with them."

Go to www.fancyapint.com and you can search by Tube stop.
Nov 9th, 2006, 11:34 AM

Jenny Lo's Tea House
14 Eccleston Street
Nov 9th, 2006, 11:40 AM

I've been to all of the places mentioned so far and all are good choices. re Goya - the full restaurant is downstairs. On the ground floor it is a Tapa bar that serves late and has yummy coffee drinks. A good choice for after the theatre etc if you want to eat closer to "home"

Jenny Lo is in Eccleston St and Goya is in Lupus St just down the way from Pimlico tube.
Nov 9th, 2006, 11:41 AM

Oh - sorry for the duplication - didn't see TimS' post
Nov 9th, 2006, 11:57 AM

Chocolate Society Shop
36 Elizabeth Street

Poilane Bakery (next to Chocolate Society Shop)
46 Ellizabeth Street

Seafresh Fish Restaurant
80-81 Wilton Rd.

Goya
34 Lupus Street
2 Eccleston Place

Nov 9th, 2006, 12:40 PM

for future reference, any restaurant address in London can be gotten by doing a simple Google search in London.
Nov 9th, 2006, 12:41 PM

Sorry. I didn't mean to repeat "in London." You can do it instead of typing a post asking other people to look it up for you.
Nov 9th, 2006, 01:17 PM

Second the recommendation for Bumbles. We stayed at the Rubens at the Palace Hotel on Buckingham Palace Road and this restaurant was very close by. Food and service were both very good.

We also had a great meal at Bella Italia (or was it Bella Pasta) very close to Victoria Station. Pasta Express had good pasta dishes also.
Nov 9th, 2006, 02:31 PM

Cafe Rouge in Victoria Station is cute, pretty good and fairly reasonable, if you remember that everything in London seems almost twice as expensive.
Nov 9th, 2006, 06:15 PM
twk

I'm intersted in the same area, although I will be staying a little closer to St. James Park (actually, next to the St. James Park tube station).
Nov 10th, 2006, 04:21 AM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone! Joanel...let us know how you liked the hotel, will you? It is such a good price...for London..that being a worrier, I worry.
Nov 10th, 2006, 04:35 AM

"going places" - when are you going to be at luna and simone? we have stayed there before - 1 year ago and it was fine, other than breakfast being over at 8:30am - pretty much like all the reviews on www.tripadvisor.com.
Nov 10th, 2006, 01:18 PM

Seafresh on Wilton is closed. We ended up eating at ASK.
Nov 11th, 2006, 04:43 AM
Original Poster

Joanel..

I am not going to be there until March. It is so inexpensive compared to other...grungy..places to stay. I guess i just wonder why. i am going to relax about it. As you say the reviews are great.
Nov 23rd, 2006, 05:11 PM

re "going-places" question on luna and simone. We just got back from our 6 night stay there and everything was fine. for the 2nd time we had a quiet room (facing back or side) on the 2nd? floor. we had requested a quiet room not too many flights up.

the one issue we had this time (but not last time) was the bed was very thin & lumpy - could feel the springs. when we hesitatingly complained about it, they were very willing to take care of it. they replaced it with a new thicker and firmer mattress. So I guess the message is to talk to them if there is a problem. Will stay there again on our next visit to London.

We also took advantage of the number 24 bus which stops just outside the hotel. very convenient for getting lots of places in london.

As for restaurants - since we have family not too far from the hotel we didn't end up eating at any of the restaurants. However, we did get some snacks for the room at a corner "convenient" type store very nearby and also the Sainsbury grocery a few blocks away.
Nov 24th, 2006, 12:45 AM

I keep notes on pubs where correspondents and I have had good lunches in the last five years. Here are two near you
The Grenadier. 18 Wilton Row, Belgravia. Arguably London's most famous pub, and reputedly haunted, the Grenadier was once frequented by the duke of Wellington's officers on leave from fighting Napoleon. A correspondent wrote: It pours the best Bloody Marys in town, and filet of beef Wellington is always a specialty. The nicest thing about it is the location - great neighborhood, and as a mews pub it always feels cozy and "undiscovered" even if it turns up in every guide book (and can be occupied almost exclusively by tourists some times.) I don't know about the Beef Wellington, but my recollection of the food there was it was okay, nothing special, but pricey. Mid-week afternoon on a warm day, though, it is not a bad place. Knightsbridge tube.

The Albert, 52 Victoria St. Good pub food for lunch and dinner, downstairs and up, and views of Westminster Abbey upstairs. Victoria and St. James Park tube

The Two Chairmen, with lunch and supper, between St James Park Station and steps down to the park. Members of Parliament and civil servants use it.

Ben Haines, London
[email protected]

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO