London Earthquake Fears

Old Feb 28th, 2008, 10:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
London Earthquake Fears

I saw BBC coverage of the Lincolnshire earthquake of a few days back
tremors were felt throughout London apparently

biggest English quake - 5.5 - in a quarter century

should i be afraid of aftershocks and cancel my London trip?

Tsunamis on the Thames?
Old Feb 28th, 2008, 10:14 AM

Yes, by all means! Just like avoiding the entire US for fear of tornadoes, hurricanes, earthquakes, mudslides, blizzards, and all the rest.
Old Feb 28th, 2008, 02:06 PM

I was miffed !! Didn't feel it at all in Surrey, and I was awake listening to the reports on the radio.
Old Feb 28th, 2008, 02:24 PM

Don't go to California at all.
Also avoid the Carolinas and Missouri.

Why Missouri? The New Madrid fault zone has not had a biggie in a long time. It is about due. And the big one could strike anywhere from San Diego to north of San Francisco any second.

I would cancel all trips to Europe. The earthquakes might be spreading.
Old Feb 28th, 2008, 02:55 PM

Don't go to Italy, they have earthquakes too! And eastern Nevada just had one. Is there no safe place on earth, lol.

Pal, you did post this question in jest I hope.
Old Feb 28th, 2008, 03:05 PM

Pal,

Don't you want the earth to move for you?

Old Feb 29th, 2008, 12:56 AM

We were badly hit in the north-west. The loacl BBC news reported half a chimney fell off and showed 3 pieces of rubble in the street below

It did wake us up though.
Old Feb 29th, 2008, 01:12 AM

This is doing the email rounds at the moment - with apologies to all those in Lincolnshire:

LINCOLNSHIRE EARTHQUAKE APPEAL PLEASE GIVE GENEROUSLY

A major earthquake measuring 5.3 on the Richter scale hit Lincolnshire in the early hours of the 27th Feb.Its epicentre was in the Market Rasen area. Victims were seen meandering around aimlessly, muttering "Faaackinell".

The earthquake decimated the area causing approximately £30 worth of damage. Several priceless collections of historic tractors were damaged beyond repair and all three of the County's compoooooters went down.

Three areas of historic scare crows were disturbed. Many locals were woken well before their press gang Transit mini buses arrived.

Lincs FM reported that hundreds of residents were confused and bewildered and were still trying to come to terms with the fact that something interesting had happened in Lincolnshire.

One strange effect of the earthquake was to startle thousands of toads into action - but most residents returned to their homes within minutes
One resident - Tracy Sharon Smith, a 15-year-old mother of 5 said, "It was such a shock, my little Chardonnay-Mercedes come running into my bedroom crying. My youngest two, Tyler-Morgan and Victoria-Storm slept through it all. I was still shaking when I was skinning up and watching Jeremey Kyle later in the morning."

Another resident said, 'I was in bed with my five daughters and their grandmother, as usual, and on feeling the vibrations I nudged my mum in the back and said 'Has that disturbed the ducks, Duck?'

Apparently looting, muggings and car crime were unaffected and carried on as normal. The British Red Cross has so far managed to ship 4,000 crates of Sunny Delight to the area to help the stricken locals.

Rescue workers are still searching through the rubble and have found large quantities of personal belongings, including benefit books, jewellery from Elizabeth Duke at Argos and Bone China from Poundland.

HOW CAN YOU HELP?

This appeal is to raise money for food and clothing parcels for those unfortunate enough to be caught up in this disaster.

Clothing is most sought after - items most needed include:

- Fila or Burberry baseball caps
- Kappa tracksuit tops (his and hers)
- Shell suits (female)
- White sport socks
- Wellington Boots & Barbour jackets
- Rockport boots and any other items usually sold in Primark.

Food parcels may be harder to come by, but are needed all the same. Required foodstuffs include:

- Microwave meals, Tins of baked beans, Ice cream, Cans of Colt 45 or Special Brew.
- 22p buys a biro for filling in the compensation forms and their giros.
- £2 buys chips, crisps and blue fizzy drinks for a family of 9.
- £5 buys B&H and a lighter to calm the nerves of those affected
Old Feb 29th, 2008, 01:24 AM

There is a genuine clip of presenters from one of the 24-hour news channels reading out viewers' reports of what was going on:

"And Enid from Leicester tells us her five hamsters have gone crazy!"
Old Feb 29th, 2008, 01:27 AM

- and I've heard several people commenting that it is another sign of global warming...
Old Feb 29th, 2008, 01:27 AM

Maria_H

We had an earthquake in Holland a few years ago. Epicenter in Limburg, so a couple of hundred kms away from us.
It woke us up, but 2 of my sons slept through it. One did wake up. We concluded that it was because our beds were aligned north/south, those of my other sons were east/west so they didn't feel a thing.
When I asked my husband what was going on he replied quite calmly it's just an earthquake, go back to sleep!
Old Feb 29th, 2008, 02:14 AM

I slept right thorough it. What a disappointment!
Old Feb 29th, 2008, 03:39 AM
Original Poster

Will the Queen now need more than the supplemental 3 million pounds she begged from the Exchequer to fix up a crumbling Buckingham Palace?
Old Feb 29th, 2008, 07:01 AM

Funny posts all, had a good laugh,,,
Living in an earthquake zone myself I never think about them, also we are on an island,, and don't worry about waves either.
Old Feb 29th, 2008, 08:14 AM
Original Poster

I heard to Old Police Station in Greenwich was leveled and most locals thought it to be a blessing
Old Feb 29th, 2008, 08:55 AM

A fault line goes right along the Great Glen.
If Loch Ness drains away, we'll finally find out about Nessie
Old Feb 29th, 2008, 09:35 AM

I heard to Old Police Station in Greenwich was leveled and most locals thought it to be a blessing>>>

It's being turned into yuppie flats. Whether that's a blessing I'll leave up to you:

Old Feb 29th, 2008, 09:44 AM
Original Poster

Well hopefully there will soon be something productive going on there
Old Feb 29th, 2008, 09:44 AM

MariaH that was so funny LOL Made my day.=!!! What agreat sense of humor you Brits have....3 pieces of rubble HaHahHa!
Old Mar 1st, 2008, 09:59 PM

I was in San Francisco once and heard a noise that made me think a cable car had run off its tracks.

I decided to see what had happend so I headed for the lobby. The elevator was out of order, so I walked down the stairs. When I got to the lobby, all of the hanging light fixtures were swinging and all the glasses on the shelf in the bar had been knocked to the floor along with bottles of booze. The result was a pungent odor and broken glass everywhere.

Finally I wised up: earthquake.
No cable car wreck.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -