London during the holidays

Sep 27th, 2007, 06:46 AM
Original Poster

London during the holidays

My husband and adult son will be goint to London Christmas/New Year's week. We are looking for a nice, around $300 a night hotel preferably in the Marybone or Shoreditch areas. Also looking for nice traditional restaurants open on Christmas Eve and day and New Year's Eve. All suggestions welcome!
Sep 27th, 2007, 06:57 AM
jay

Use Priceling for the hotel. that will usually give you a very cheap rate. $ star
Sep 27th, 2007, 06:57 AM
jay

Sorry, 4 star for around 100 us.
Sep 27th, 2007, 07:02 AM

Can't help you with the hotel, but we did Christmas Eve dinner (closed on Christmas DAy) at one of our long time favorites -- Maggie Jones off Kensington High Street. Very traditional (country) decor, friendly staff, and traditional food. It was SO perfect for Christmas Eve.

http://www.english-restaurants.com/e...asp?classID=31
(Incidentally we did that after an early candlelight Christmas Carol concert at Royal Albert Hall, not far away).

Christmas Day was difficult. I had a hard time working in advance to find many places open. We ended up eating lunch in Chinatown where nearly everything is open. But we had a nice buffet dinner (complete with crackers, etc) at the Chesterfield Mayfair Hotel.

Sep 27th, 2007, 09:12 AM

Your first question should be about what you are going to do on Christmas Day.

There's no public transport, shops, tourist attractions (except Charles Dickens Museum) & most restaurants are closed.

Taxis - if you can find one - will be charging a hefty supplement and if you want to eat you'll need to find somewhere serving either a very expensive Christmas Lunch or end up with a Chicken Vindaloo
Sep 27th, 2007, 09:23 AM

There are numerous London Walks on Christmas Day. We did one starting at Trafalgar -- "Dickens' London" in the mid afternoon. We could have done two that day. There are also morning services in churches with nice music if you are into that.

As I mentioned, we had a nice lunch in Chinatown and a good dinner at a Mayfair Hotel (we could walk to). Our biggest problem was finding a cup of coffee in the morning. On a walk along the strand I nearly attacked a young Russian couple I saw walking toward me with takeaway coffees. That's the day I discovered there is such a thing as "undrinkable coffee". You get it at Spar.

Search this Thread