London - Dublin transportation

Aug 21st, 2003, 06:32 PM
Original Poster

London - Dublin transportation

What is the best way to get between these two cities? We only have 3 or 4 nights available and want to see some of Southern Ireland. We fly into London on July 6, 2004 and need to be in Scotland on July 10 or 11. Can we sqeeze in a peek of Southern Ireland?
Thank You!! Babs
Aug 21st, 2003, 07:42 PM

I'd say flying would make most sense. However, if you want to see southwestern Ireland - Dingle or Killarney in County Kerry, County Cork or County Clare counties - consider flying via Shannon airport which is near Limerick. Dublin isn't too convenient to the southern part of Ireland, other than Kilkenny and Waterford.
Aug 21st, 2003, 08:19 PM

You can fly directly from LHR to Cork. Why go to Dublin or Shannon if you want to see the south and have such limited time.

But - have you been to London before? You do not have much time before you go up to Scotland. 5 days is barely enough time to scratch the surface in london.
Aug 21st, 2003, 09:18 PM
Original Poster

No, we really have not seen London before, but are figuring that we will have many opportunities to stop there as a stopover for future Europe trips. We also wee so many great fares published for London.

Our friends travelling with us have been to London before so that may influence also. What airline is the most econimical to fly London to Cork??
Aug 21st, 2003, 10:36 PM

LHR to Cork is served by AerLingus. Luton and Stansted to Cork are served by Ryan Air. I think there is a small airline that flies Cork/London City but I can't think of the name of it.

But - you might want to re-consider your plans. You will be cutting Ireland really short and London even shorter. Assuming you are coming from the States - the first day will likely be total hell. You will have flown overnight and landed in London in the morning after little or no sleep for more than a day and a half. You can see some sites but really can't count on being on top of things.

Then you have July 7-9 (or maybe the Jul 10) for London before flying or taking the train to Scotland. You will be pretty lucky to see even a fraction of London.

If you take full day out of your schedule just to fly to Ireland it doesn't leave you time for Ireland or time for london. The actual flights to/from Ireland are short - but with the travel times to the airports, advance check-in and security delays, rental car pick up and return, etc. count on a 1/2 day each way. So that adds up to an aggregate lost day in an already very short visit.
Aug 21st, 2003, 11:30 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the helpful quick responses everyone. I think I am getting closer to something workable.

JULY 6 - gather everyone in London and fly to Cork instead of Dublin (Ryanair?)
JULY 7,8,9,10 - Tour southern Ireland in a rental van (rental companies?)
JULY 11 - Fly Cork to Edinburgh. We are staying in St. Andrews - (Ryanair again? How early to book?)
JULY 16 - Fly or rail back to London - pro's and cons and costs of each, how and where to book??
JULY 17, 18, 19 - see a few (Yes - we will be back here again...) of the sights in London
JULY 20 - Fly back home

Thoughts or suggestions again?? Babs
Aug 22nd, 2003, 01:13 AM

Just a footnote. You can check London City flight schedules and fares at www.londoncityairport.com. Bear in mind that to go out to Stansted for Ryanair will add something like £20 each to the fare and a good hour or so to the travelling time.
Aug 22nd, 2003, 06:21 AM

Sounds o.k., but one thing - If you do book Ryan Air make sure you check in really early. Also, avoid bringing your car / van into Cork City centre as it is a total nightmare with roadworks until next summer. I understand Dublin's pretty much the same. Enjoy!