Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

LONDON: Done my homework, need you help studying for Finals!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10th, 2011, 02:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I promise, this is not “What are the must-sees in London”. I know exactly what we want to see; I just need your input into putting it into manageable sections.

We are a senior couple, in good health. DH will have had a surgical procdure 4 weeks prior to our early September 10 day trip. Doctor has given the OK, just recommends pacing ourselves.

We have rented a flat 10minutes walk from the West Kensington tube station. I assume there is NO problem with late night (11pm) travels using the tube, right? Will have Oyster Cards for transport.

I will give you a day by day itinerary, preliminary as it may be. Please feel free to add, suggest, tweak as you feel necessary.

I have been checking the London weather for several weeks. Not counting that heat wave during Wimbledon, looks like high near 70, low 50s, right. Thinking light jacket, umbrella (we are from South Florida, so keep that in mind).

DAY ONE MONDAY: Arrive LHR at 8:30 AM. I have decided to use a car service to the flat.
Any car service used recently that you would recommend?
Based on previous experience, plan to nap, shower, walk the neighborhood, get some groceries. Then based on landlord’s recommendations, walk in Holland Park. How about dinner at BELVEDERE? If not, looks like our local pub is CUMBERLAND ARMS.

DAY TWO TUESDAY: Hope to hit the ground running after a good nights sleep. 9:16. Thinking of Westminster Abbey early with a Warders tour. Then how about a walk past Parliament and Big Ben. Woud a trip on the London Eye work here, or be better at a twilight timeframe. Also want to see CABINET WAR ROOMS. Is this the day?

DAY THREE WEDNESDAY: Have looked at London Walks OXFORD AND CAMBRIDGE trip leaving at 9:15. That evening we have CEREMONY OF THE KEYS at Tower of London at 9:30.
Is this enough time for these activities and a little rest?

DAY FOUR THURSDAY: Our commitment this day is at 6pm at the GLOBE THEATER for a lecture and then for the play Alls Well that Ends Well. Earlier in the day, would a tour of the TOWER OF LONDON and a trip to the BOROUGH MARKETS, possibly SOUTHWARK CATHEDRAL fit in?
Dinner somewhere relaxing near the Tower?

DAY FIVE FRIDAY: I have looked at Lonon Walks ROYAL LONDON at 10:45. The best of Changing of the Guard without the wait. That evening, I really want to do London Walks Thames Pub Walk.
How about in the interim?

DAY SIX SATURDAY: This is the day I have set for HAMPTOM COURT. I have read so much about Henry and his entourage that I am so looking forward to this. Hope to come partway back on the river via boat.
Any suggestions for Saturday dinner? Price not a problem, just convenient.

DAY SEVEN SUNDAY: First, how about church recommendations? DH is a pipe organ nut, so that with choir and music would be the main considerations. I have heard about SPEAKERS CORNER for years, so would like to check that out. How about walking THE MALL, may tea at the ORANGERIE?

DAY EIGHT MONDAY: the only given is this evening at Queens Theater: LES MIS at 7:30.
Dinner before the theater suggestions????
London Walks British Museum at 2:15
Other suggestions…

DAY NINE TUESDAY: Open day. What about St. Pauls (London Walks at 10:30). Also National Gallery (have to see my Monets and Van Goghs). Maybe London Eye.

DAY TEN WEDNESDAY: Leave LHR at 12:30, arrive home many moons later.

Thanks to all you who have written trip reports that have been so helpful. Anxiously awaiting your response,
Old Jul 10th, 2011, 02:27 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Just two quick notes until I have a better chance to digest the plan:

"<i>OXFORD AND CAMBRIDGE trip leaving at 9:15.</i>"

I think you have that wrong. It would be <i>either</i> 'Oxford & the Cotswolds', or 'Cambridge'.

For where to eat on the Tower/Globe day -- just tons of choices including right AT the Globe. A really nice restaurant. Or the Upstairs (posher) restaurant at Tate Modern. Both have great river views.

On you HCP day you can eat dinner absolutely anywhere since you'll be back in central London by mid afternoon.
Old Jul 10th, 2011, 02:29 PM

oops- that should have said >>On you HCP day you can eat dinner absolutely anywhere since you'll be back in central London by mid afternoon if you take the train and by late afternoon traveling by boat.<<
Old Jul 10th, 2011, 02:34 PM

"Will have Oyster Cards for transport." - Fail. For two people the offers on daysoutguide.com will save you lots of money, however you need to buy a Travelcard at a train station ticket office to qualify.

"Thinking of Westminster Abbey early with a Warders tour" - Fail, Westminster Abbey is a Verger's Tour, Tower of London is a Warder's tour.

"Have looked at London Walks OXFORD AND CAMBRIDGE trip leaving at 9:15." - Fail, a quick look at the website shows a Cambridge OR Oxford & Cotswolds. The two universities are in totally different directions from London and doing both in one day would be very hard especially starting so late

I'd also comment that virtually everything you mention does not require a guide and caq be done by yourselves - at significant savings
Old Jul 10th, 2011, 02:36 PM
Original Poster

janisj: Absolutely correct, it is Oxford and Cotswald London Walks. This looks like the best look at the rest of England in a short period of time. Dear DIL has seen Cotswald and really recommends this tour. What do you say??
Old Jul 10th, 2011, 02:43 PM

My son lives in London and we used JUST AIRPORTS last year when moving him to his apartment.They met us right outside of customs and it was perfect-both price and their van.I would highly recommend them if you decide that you don't want to use the tube to your flat.
Old Jul 10th, 2011, 02:48 PM
Original Poster

AlanRow: Know that the Westminster tour is a Verger tour.

So sorry, know that the London Walks is Oxford and Cotswald. Sorry for the typos.

No problem with the $$ for London Walks as long as it is a value for us. Is that what you meant??
Old Jul 10th, 2011, 02:49 PM
Original Poster

Dutyree: thanks for the recommendation: will check it out.
Old Jul 10th, 2011, 02:59 PM

Nrcheryl,
I don’t see any combined Oxford & Cambridge trip on LONDON WALKS but there is one offered on VIATORS for about $118 each.

Alan, your repetition of “FAIL” sounded a bit harsh, although you probably didn’t mean it that way.
Old Jul 10th, 2011, 03:30 PM

Recommend that you not try and do Cambridge and Oxford as one trip even if it's offered. Sure you can do much of your sightseeing without a guide, but London Walks is excellent and unless you are already an expert, you will learn much more on these walks than you could possibly do so on your own. The British Museum also offers guided tours.

Tea or lunch at the Orangery is nice. I always stop by my first afternoon in London for some Orangery cake. They use to offer a lavender cake but not for several years now.

Smiths for Airports is another good car service company. www.smithforairports.com

Note for fodorites: Did anyone ever hear from Ray Skinner ?
Old Jul 10th, 2011, 03:53 PM

Latedaytraveler: "<i>Alan, your repetition of “FAIL” sounded a bit harsh, </i>"

Actually I was going to assess one or two C-/D+'s myself No such place as <i>Cotswald</i>. It is a region called "the Cotswolds". And even accounting for spelling errors-- which God knows I have enough of--one does not "Go to Cotswold/Cotswald"

"<i>I don’t see any combined Oxford & Cambridge trip on LONDON WALKS but there is one offered on VIATORS for about $118 each.</i>"

We have that cleared up, since rncheryl meant Oxford & The Cotswolds. But just so others seeing this don't consider it -- Oxford and Cambridge on the same day is next to insane. Just driving from central Oxford to central Cambridge would take 2.5 hours on a perfect/no traffic day and 3 or 4 hours would be entirely possible. And that isn't counting the time from London > Oxford and Cambridge > London.
Old Jul 10th, 2011, 11:18 PM

You made the correct first move by choosing a flat over a hotel room. If the flat has a washer/dryer (and it probably does), you won't lose touring time by having to find and use laundromats and the expense of doing your own laundry is just the soap. You can do the laundry at the end of the day, enjoying dinner in your flat if you'd like and are reasonably close to a greengrocer. Our most pleasant treat in the three flats in which we've lodged in London has been breakfast: coffee (we're from Seattle, so that is a must and all our flats have come with a French press), fresh toast with authentic English marmalade, and reading each morning's edition of the London Times.
Old Jul 11th, 2011, 12:57 AM

Another C- for Cotswald ;-)
Mind you many Americans seem to think it's a place. It's a range of hills. It's like a Briton talking about a place called Adirondack or worse still Adarondack.

The two for one offer is a bit complicated but it can save a lot of money.
It's really for people like me who come into London by train. There is a website http://www.nationalexpresseastanglia...n/london_2for1 and I'm sure that there are other sites
You choose the attractions you fancy and print out the vouchers. However, tourists can take advantage of the offers by getting a paper one day or weekly ticket from a train station rather than the tube
Old Jul 11th, 2011, 04:36 AM

<<"Alan, your repetition of “FAIL” sounded a bit harsh, " >>

How do you expect people to reply when they couch their posting in terms of an exam?
Old Jul 11th, 2011, 08:56 AM

Sounds generally pretty good to me A for Effort, B- for the typos

You might consider doing a tour of parliament while you are there, we recently did it and thoroughly enjoyed it. It takes about 75 minutes.
Old Jul 11th, 2011, 08:57 AM

oh no, sorry, forget that, you would have to do it on a Saturday, not the Monday you were planning on being in the area. Doh! D- for me.
Old Jul 11th, 2011, 09:05 AM

nona1: "<i>Sounds generally pretty good to me A for Effort, B- for the typos</i>"

That is called grade inflation where I come from
Old Jul 11th, 2011, 12:36 PM
Original Poster

Well, as I need extra credit, I will suck it up and thank all of you for your "constructive" criticism.

I would still like some suggestions on specific questions.

1. Is Belvedere Restaurant in Holland Park a good suggestion?

2. Is Day 2 the best place to put Cabinet War Rooms.

3. Nona, tell me more about the Parliment tour. Is that open to non-UK residents? Do you see Parliment in session?

4. Any suggestions for dinner near Queens Theater and also near the Tower?

5. Would surely like some suggestions for Day 10 Tuesday.

Thanks again,
Your Apologetic Traveler,
RNCheryl
Old Jul 11th, 2011, 01:21 PM

The Parliament tour is really neat! My grandmother and I did it in May and we both loved it! It is definitely open to non-UK citizens and no, you don't get to see Parliament in session. The tour, as far as I know, is only available on Saturday, from 9am-2pm, though when we were there it looked like it was open until 4pm. It does take around 75 minutes, but it is very interesting and informative. A tour guide takes you through all the state rooms, through the house of lords and the house of commons ( you actually get to stand in amongst the "seats" while the guide tells you about everything) and it is very impressive! Parliament is stunning on the inside!
Old Jul 11th, 2011, 01:37 PM

My advice is to take your time. Be careful on the tube late at night. I've lived and worked in London and travelling on the last train, even as a young man, was not nice. But then I was travelling south of the river to Tooting Bec!

Of course the Parliament tour is open to non-residents. This is the UK . And, yes, you may get chance see Parliament in session, by sitting in the Strangers' Gallery. Prime Minister's question time is always good for a laugh, if you can wangle a ticket.

Remember that London, like Hong Kong and Bangkok, is a one hundred miles an hour city. It never sleeps and you will be dragged along by those who live there. Do not get in their way, especially during morning and evening rush hours, because they will show you no mercy. It's that sort of place. If you want courtesy then leave London and head west, southwest or north. The difference in the pace of life and friendliness of the people is...like chalk and cheese. But there's a lot to see. My recommendation? Westminster Abbey. Use the audio tour and absorb the history. Outstanding.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -