Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

London day trips - the usual suspects - more crowded weekdays or weekends

Nov 8th, 2019, 04:05 PM
Original Poster

I'll be in London for two weeks the second half of March 2020 and plan several day trips including Oxford, Cambridge, Canterbury, Windsor Castle, and Bath. I remember a few years ago visiting Dover Castle on a day trip and it was jammed with groups of school children. That made me think maybe Saturday and Sundays would be better. I've actually been to all those places, but mostly about 10 years or more ago and I know everything is more crowded now than it used to be. I tried to go to Windsor Castle in July a couple years ago and didn't pre-book and the lines were so long I just said forget it.

So, in March, what would be your strategy for visiting those places to avoid crowds?
Nov 8th, 2019, 05:48 PM

In March it would make absolutely no difference to me one way or the other. Weekdays there will be school groups an weekend there will be families but being after the half term holiday and before Easter, crowds shouldn't be horrible anyplace. I'd be more worried re the weather than the crowds - so I'd decide on a day by day basis -- nice or nice-ish day I'd head out of town. Gawd awful winter storm -- I'd do museums in London.
Nov 9th, 2019, 04:51 AM
Original Poster

Thanks janisj - that is my exactly my plan. But if the weather is cooperating and I have a choice I was wondering if it made sense to try and do some of the day trips on weekend days vs week days. I'm also 'tempted' to do a couple of overnights in other towns but the weather question is what makes basing in London the whole time and doing day trips on nice days, stay in London on rainy days, look like the best plan. The one place I do think I'll take a couple of nights for is York. It's the furthest of the places I want to go and train fares booked in advance will save substantially over spur of the moment, plus I think it's worth more time. Everything else I think good weather is worth the extra cost of last minute train fares.