Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   London Day Trips - Cambridge, Oxford, Windsor, Stonehenge..?? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/london-day-trips-cambridge-oxford-windsor-stonehenge-63130/)

Karen Feb 19th, 2000 04:18 PM

London Day Trips - Cambridge, Oxford, Windsor, Stonehenge..??

Going to be in London for six days and want to take only ONE side-trip from the city. If you could go to only one place outside of London for the day, which would it be? Thanks in advance.

Lori Feb 19th, 2000 04:40 PM

Karen, <BR>It all depends on what YOU like to do and see. Having been to all the places you list I'd go to Hampton Court (see very recent question on how to get there) which I know is not on your list but it's not a long trip and it is beautiful just the same. Other than that I'd go to Bath (also not on your list) - if you are planning on taking a tour type trip you can probably find one combining Stonehenge. Again, it depends on what you like - castles, universities, ancient relics -- they are all great, but different. You might consider Warwick Castle too - wonderful place, full of history and the ride up (about 1 1/2 hours) via train from Marylebone Station allows you to see the countryside as well. Warwick Castle has a nice website too.

Jeff Feb 19th, 2000 06:38 PM

Hi Karen, <BR> I vote for Bath. Not only is it an incredibly beautiful city, it's also fascinating. The Cotswolds are nearby as are Stonehenge and (more interesting in my opinion) Avebury. I, like Lori, also enjoyed Hampton Court, but as she said, it depends on what interests you. Have a great time.

Kathleen Feb 19th, 2000 08:24 PM

Try the London Walks website (can't remember the exact address, but do a search, it's easy to find). They do day trips to Bath, Stonehenge, Oxford, etc. I did Oxford with them, and it was okay, though I cringed a little when we got on the huge coach to see the Cotswolds. Cambridge is also a lovely day trip, and close. Do some research on all these locales and see if something catches your fancy, and run with it.

Linda Feb 19th, 2000 08:35 PM

You didn't say when you were going. If it is coming up in the very near future, I would pick Windsor Castle over Stonehenge. I have been there this time of year and it can be very cold, blustery and rainy. I would also cast a big vote for Warwick Castle.

judy Feb 19th, 2000 09:11 PM

The last time I was in London, I was with several persons who had not been there before, and I chose a one day bus tour to Warwick Castle, Stratford-upon-Avon, and Oxford. I had visited Warwick and Stratford before and wanted my friends to share the delight I found. The bus company has quite a few trips to choose from.

Maira Feb 20th, 2000 02:23 AM

Although it may be a full and long day, I would do (Roman) Bath-Stonehenge-Salisbury (I love ancient history). If you love touring castles I would do Leeds Castle-Canterbury-Dover. If you love arts and/or arts history, a good choice would be Oxford-Warwick Castle-Shakespeare's Stratford (pretty condensed, though!). If you only want to visit ONE place, take a pick from the preferred combo.

gb Feb 21st, 2000 07:05 AM

I visited Stonehenge on a slightly blustering, drizzling day. I think it was the perfect way to visit. There were no crowds (at the end of the day), and it was spooky with an eerie silence.

s.fowler Feb 21st, 2000 07:15 AM

I'm going to piggyback my question here. I want to see Stonehenge and there seem to be two choices. <BR>Evan Evans Stonehenge/Bath - tour bus etc... <BR>London Walks - Stonehenge/Salisbury - train - walking <BR>I'm not a wimp, and the cost isn't the issue, but any idea how much walking in the LW trip? and how well organized they are? And whether I am better off seeing Bath or Salisbury - independent of the means? Note: I have seen Canterbury cathedral as well as Westmister abbey/St. Paul in London, so take that into account. Any and all help will be appreciated :)

Lori Feb 21st, 2000 08:04 AM

I'm an advocate of doing it by yourself (as opposed to organized tours) - it depends on you tho, but we visited Bath, Salisbury & Stonehenge by car and it was great. Actually we stayed in Salisbury 5 days and used it as a base to visit places from. From London either Bath or Salisbury are easy train rides away and once in Bath you can do your own thing (likewise Salisbury, altho there is more to see in Bath). Stonehenge is close to Salisbury and I think there are buses that run out there. Salisbury is a nice town but aside from the cathedral there is not an abundance to see there (but it is centrally located for sightseeing) and if you have seen the other biggies in cathedrals you may not want to spend a lot of time there. This may not answer your question, but in things to "see" Bath would be my recommendation over Salisbury. Stonehenge is great, but it can get crowded (we were there in pouring rain and no one was about, it was marveous!).

ron Feb 21st, 2000 09:25 AM

to S. Fowler. In my (clearly minority, on this forum at least)view, to visit Bath properly requires more than one day. Therefore, I would opt for the Salisbury/Stonehenge day trip. I would take the train, do a guided morning walk of the cathedral, have lunch in cathedral refectory, take the bus to Stonehenge, return to Salisbury for evensong at the cathedral, evening meal at a pub in Salisbury and train back to London around 9 pm. If the timing does not work for evensong (or there isn't a sung one that day), I would adjust the afternoon to do the roof tour of the cathedral.

carol Feb 21st, 2000 10:43 AM

2 yrs. ago, we took a great Evans Evans bus tour -- Salibury/Stonehenge/Bath. It was great - the only regret is that we didn't feel 2 hours was enough to enjoy Bath. It's a beautiful little city - do go there!

s.fowler Feb 21st, 2000 11:51 AM

Thanks for all the advice. The Evan Evans trip is now just stonehenge/bath so there should be a little more time. I'm perfectly capable of doing it myself - but after a rough term I may be ready to be carted around :) And again - what a great bunch of helpful people you are :)

M & J Feb 21st, 2000 12:44 PM

Like some of the others, when we first visited London, we did a long day trip of Bath, Salisbury and Stonehenge. We were so taken with Bath, that the next year we spent 5 nights there and it was fantastic. Perhaps you also will do the "three site tour" and then return for more time. <BR>But, if had only place for one day, it would be Bath. Take in the free tour (once inside) the Bath complex. Walk with a Bath residence as they explore the town (again, a free walk). Purchase your own walking guidebook. Check out the Bath spirits on a night ghost walk. <BR>