Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   London cost of things (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/london-cost-of-things-575273/)

poppy68 Dec 8th, 2005 04:32 PM

London cost of things

I am traveling to London on a tight budget and Im trying to get an idea of the cost of things over their like cabs, food and tourisy things

Robespierre Dec 8th, 2005 04:50 PM

If you're on a tight budget, you shouldn't be asking about cabs. A one-day bus pass is £3, and a 7-day is £11.

Food can be as inexpensive as £2 for a sandwich from Marks & Spencer or Pret a Manger without spending a nuppence.

Most of the museums are free. You could spend weeks in the British, Victoria & Albert, National Maritime, and Imperial War Museums.

poppy68 Dec 8th, 2005 05:17 PM

How much do cabs generally cost because I know the subway closes early. I plan on some really late nites

Nimrod Dec 8th, 2005 05:50 PM

<i>http://www.tfl.gov.uk/pco/taxi_fares.shtml</i>

You should also go to the start page of that website to look for answers to other London transport questions you might have.

<i>http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/</i>

henneth Dec 8th, 2005 08:05 PM

There are places cheaper than Marks and Spencer and Pret a Manger, try Benji's or Greggs where sandwiches start at &pound;1. They can be even less than that when they start going off at the end of the day and they sell them at 50p.

janisj Dec 8th, 2005 10:25 PM

If you are on a tight budget, all the more reason to avoid late night cabs. They cost even more in the wee small hours than they do during the day. There are night buses that cover most of central London so you can get home after your &quot;really late nites&quot;

worldinabag Dec 8th, 2005 10:27 PM

Hi

Where are you staying? If at a hostel book at a central one that's walking/stumbling distance from attractions, clubs etc. If you can make sure you have the use of a kitchen so you can prepare your own meals. This will save heaps. This one - http://www.generatorhostels.com/london/doesn't look like it's got a kitchen but includes breakfast and &pound;1 a pint happy hour in their bar from 6pm-9pm every night of the week. Or this one has a kitchen, includes breakfast and is in Hyde Park - http://www.astorhostels.com

Food: This site might help http://www.eatinlondon.com/cgi-bin/W...ts/Eatinlondon. I did a search of meals for &pound;5 and it came up with quite a few.

Work on the 1 pound = 1 dollar rule eg. a $3 drink at home is 3 quid in London.

Do a search of this forum. I recollect a post about free things to do in London in addition to Robespierre's good suggestions. Hyde Park, Kew gardens etc. I don't know how much the London Eye is but I went all the way to the top of Westminster Cathedral (not Abbey) for a small fee. Great view of London and something a little different.

Good luck

flanneruk Dec 8th, 2005 10:51 PM

Prices in London, contrary to the perpetual whining you can read on this board from people who leave their brains at home, are pretty much what you let them be.

It's true the tube does close a couple of hours after sensible people have gone to bed. But there's a pretty intense network of night buses, which are effectively free if you've bought a multi-day bus pass. Getting them, and waiting for them, is utterly safe. Whatever you do, don't hail a taxi on the street: you can see the legit fares for black cabs on the site Nimrod recommends and on a tight budget you can't afford them: non-black cabs prowling can be risky.

For food prices generally, check www.tesco.com, remembering that no British adult ever wastes money on manufacturers' brands when supermarket own-labels are identical (or, for chilled ready to eat food, better) Don't shop anywhere charging more, or buy brands dearer than Tesco's own. For sit-down places,invest &pound;5.99 in Time Out Cheap Eats

On a budget, the best way to pay for touristy things is not to and I'm not suggesting theft. It's perfectly easy, and utterly rewarding, not to spend a penny on a single &quot;attraction&quot;: the welter of free attractions is so immense even those of us who've lived here for decades haven't exhausted them, and with luck your post will trigger an outpouring of ways to keep your wallet in your pocket (like going to Evensong rather than paying admission to Westminster Abbey) The world will be not one whit the poorer place if you keep all those &quot;My girl friend went to London...&quot; T shirts firmly on the tat-mongers' stalls.

To paraphrase the most repellent person who's ever lived here &quot;Whingers have noticed London's prices: the point is how not to pay them&quot;.

handfordr Dec 9th, 2005 12:02 AM

There is a page of everyday items with prices at:
http://www.londontoolkit.com/briefin..._of_living.htm

Rachele Dec 9th, 2005 08:17 AM

My sister lives in London and I travel there a few times a year, and I do find it to be quite expensive, even for everyday kinds of things, so I agree that you should try to stay someplace where you can walk to and from late night venues. You have to spend enough when you are there, no need to waste quid on transport. I live in NYC so I am no stranger to pricey, but a lot of the time prices in London even shock me. That being said, just like in NYC, you just have to work a little harder to find good deals. Pret a Manger is a good suggestion for a sandwich on the go (and they are everywhere), and I find that you can get some decent deals on food at neighborhood (not touristy) pubs in more residential parts of the city. One thing that's a great deal (particularly compared to NYC) is the cost of theater if you get same day tickets at their 1/2 price booth in Leicester Square. The last time we were in London we say a great play for about $25 a person. And as a prior poster mentioned, many great museums are free. London is a great place and lots of fun.

nytraveler Dec 9th, 2005 09:55 AM

I hate to break it to you but a lot of very late nights doesn't exactly go with a small budget either - unless you're a VERY attractive young woman and willing to put up with the issues that can come with having someone else pay for your whole evening. In which case - you might not need to pay for a hotel either.

hunnym Dec 9th, 2005 10:37 AM

We were in London 2 weeks ago and found it to be incredibly expensive. Like others said, just double the prices of NYC and there you go.

A beer in a pub is 3-4 pounds - which is $6-$8. A subway ride costs 2 pounds ($4 - costs half that in NYC). We were told that a cab from our hotel to the train station would cost 12 pounds ($24), but we walked it in 20 minutes. (A cab ride for the distance of a 20-min walk would cost less than half that in NYC.)

The free museums were nice, but it was 8 pounds to get into Westminster Abbey - $16 per person.

You can do London cheaply for sure, just like you can do NYC on a tight budget, but eating at Pret for every meal after taking the trouble to cross the pond - well...

xyz123 Dec 9th, 2005 10:44 AM

A beer in a pub &pound;3 to &pound;4??? I don't know what pubs you go to....I generally am able to hoist a pint so to speak for no more than &pound;2.50 and most of the time a little less....

BTW as of 02 January, the cost of a single tube ride in central London is going up to &pound;3 which is outrageous even by London standards but with various passes it could be much less but they're obviously hoping tourists are too lazy to read up on the various passes available.

janisj Dec 9th, 2005 10:58 AM

People often use &pound;1 = $2 to show how expensive things are.

The &pound; is actually around $1.73 give or take (and was down to about $1.71 a few days ago). So all those &pound;3 = $6 or &pound;8 = $16 are really off by about 13%. This can make a big difference when on a tight budget.

&pound;3 = about $5.19, &pound;8 = about $13

christina79 Dec 9th, 2005 11:15 AM

I'm also going to London at the end of the month, and am finding it to be pretty expensive. However, if you want to do some tours for not too expensive, London Walks look really good. They're only about 5 quid (depending on the walk) and for about 2 hours, there are some really amazing tours. We're planning to do a Beatles tour (abbey road, apple studios, etc...) as well as one of their famous Jack the Ripper tours. I think it will be a fun and entertaining way to see the city with the insight of a local. Check their website: www.walks.com

walkinaround Dec 9th, 2005 11:21 AM

&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;
just double the prices of NYC and there you go.
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;

london is expensive...no doubt about that. but this statement and the others in your post are hyperbole.

a good pint in NYC will cost you easily $6 or more with the &quot;required&quot; tip. in the most expensive central london pubs, it is &pound;2.75 - no tipping expected ($4.80).

my last meal in london (last weekend) was &pound;45 for two with a decent full bottle of wine, 2 mains, 2 starters, 1 desert. this included the standard 10% tip and tax. This was in trendy and hardly cheap islington. in NYC, you could not get that meal for less than the equivalent $80, *excluding* state AND city tax (forgive me if i'm wrong on this) and the &quot;required&quot; 17-23% tip that is expected in major US cities. that would make the meal in excess of $90 in NYC.

the theatre in nyc is for the most part reserved for those who have big budgets or those who go out for a special evening. i go to the theatre in london several times a month. i very rarely spend over &pound;20 per ticket. often i go to the national theatre (some of the best theatre in the country) for &pound;10/ticket.

my point isnt to compare every little thing but that the average visitor will not even come close to experiencing double the costs as compared to nyc

honeymooninitaly Dec 9th, 2005 11:41 AM

How far outside of London are you staying? Cabs late night are pricey but if you are not going far not to worry. Always know that they can spot a tourist (exspecially a drunk one) and will overcharge you. Know your exchange rates. Otherwise late night try to stay in walking distance from your hotel or share a cab with others.

Robespierre Dec 9th, 2005 11:43 AM

&quot;...unless you're a VERY attractive young woman...&quot;

(Or young man, in many places.)

Where2Travel Dec 10th, 2005 03:07 AM

I agree with the notion that London is as cheap/expensive as you want it to be. I live here and, as Flanner says, the number of things to see and do for free is exhausting that I'll never have a hope of doing them all.

As for eating, the Time Out guide referred to above is a good investment. However, if you are on a really tight budget, I couldn't ever recommend you go to Pret a Manger. While I am not saying the food isn't nice, this is probably the most overpriced sandwich shop I've seen. You can get a meal in other places for what you pay for a sandwich there.

Robespierre Dec 10th, 2005 12:10 PM

Ummm, I don't know what sandwiches at PAM cost as much as a meal. Here's the tariff:

<b>http://www.pretamanger.com/menu</b>

They average around &pound;2.50, with the &quot;slims&quot; somewhat less and the &quot;specials of the week&quot; a little more.

But the quality is consistently high, and you aren't taking a chance experimenting as you might by stopping in an unknown shop, because PAM's are always delicious.