Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

London Conrad Hilton- a good location or not?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15th, 2004, 05:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

London Conrad Hilton is a all suite hotel. Apparently Europeans keep their kids in the closets or under the beds because most hotels only use "single" beds. My question is "where is Chelsea Harbour in reguards to the 1) the nearest tube stop and 2)the london eye which seems to be around the center of things". Two adults and two kids (13,14) for July trip. Thanks for the help!
Old Feb 15th, 2004, 09:20 PM

the Conrad is a wonderful hotel in an inconvenient location. There is no tube station within walking distance. There are some buses you could catch but even the bus service is pretty spotty. This is one reason people get really good rates at what should be a very upscale, riverside property.

It is not somewhere I would stay w/ kids - you would eat up any savings by all the cabs you would have to take to get anywhere.

There are many budget hotels w/ family rooms - but not many at the upper end of the market. What you might want to consider is rent an apartment. A 2-bedroom w/ a living room, full kitchen w/ washer/dryer would be less expensive than booking two hotel rooms.
Old Feb 15th, 2004, 10:01 PM

Another hotel you might want to consider for more space is Dolphin Square. (I'm assuming you are looking for upscale properties, or I would make other suggestions.) Another possibility would be to bid for two 4* or 5* hotel rooms on Priceline. The kids could then get a separate room.
Old Feb 15th, 2004, 10:10 PM

The Dolphin Square that WillTravel mentions is a huge apartment complex near the rive in Pimlico. 3/4 of it is private homes and 1/4 is an "apartment hotel" with all the ammenities of any 4 star hotel. It would be a very good choice for a family, being easy walking distance to Pimlico tube station, right on the river and near the Tate Britain and its water taxi that takes you to Tate Modern and the Southbank / Eye. it would be a MUCH better location than the Conrad.
Old Feb 15th, 2004, 11:50 PM

We have stayed at Dolphin Square several times with children. Indeed a much better location than Chelsea Harbour, and very reasonably priced too. There's an indoor pool at Dolphin Square, there are a few small shops, the restaurant has just been redone, and the tube is not too far.
Chelsea Harbour is a very nice development, wouldn't mind living there, but for a visit it is too inconvenient; long way from the tube.
Old Feb 15th, 2004, 11:55 PM

As others have mentioned this is a very nice hotel in a very inconvenient location. We stayed there several years ago and found that the walk to the nearest tube station was about 15 minutes. We ended up taking taxis everywhere and that additional expense added up. Unless you plan to do very little on your trip, I wouldn't recommend it.
Old Feb 16th, 2004, 04:51 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the info. Of course you would recommend the "Dolphin" square hotel, I being from the Miami area. We like using a "Embassy Suites" type hotel thats why I selected the Conrad Hilton. However reading the info on the Dolphin looks so far so good. Without this site I may not have known the distance factor problem. Thanks again.
Old Feb 17th, 2004, 04:37 PM
Original Poster

Do you know if the rooms at the Dolphin Square are air conditioned?
Old Feb 17th, 2004, 11:29 PM

I vaguely recall a review that said that only public areas are A/C. Probably best to phone or email and get a straight answer if that is important to you.

http://www.dolphinsquarehotel.co.uk