Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   London Coat Question (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/london-coat-question-265156/)

Alicia Oct 11th, 2002 06:05 AM

London Coat Question

I am bringing only my leather coat to London on my trip. If its really rainy, will it just get ruined? How does leather hold up in a lot of rain? or should I opt for a different coat? No Burkas please. Decisions, Decisions.

Merilee Oct 11th, 2002 06:10 AM

You didn't mention when you are going to London, but during my trips there (November) I wore a trench coat with a removable lining that turned out to be perfect for the weather. I wouldn't wear my leather jacket there because of the chance of rain. You want something that will keep you dry and warm, and not get ruined.

Erin Oct 11th, 2002 06:11 AM

Hi Alicia-<BR>The last time I was in London I wore a leather coat the entire time, and while it did rain and it did get wet, it is fine, and I still wear it! I would strongly suggest carrying a small umbrella with you, also. Living in Michigan, my leather coats tend to get fairly wet from time to time. If this happens to you, just hang it up on a hanger and put it in an area with good circulation and let it dry naturally- it should be ok.

Curious Oct 11th, 2002 06:11 AM

What do you mean by no burkas? Anyway, skip the leather coat and opt for an all weather type of coat.

janis Oct 11th, 2002 08:01 AM

leather coats are great and lots of people in London wear leather. BUT it is not the most practical choice for travelers. Leather is heavy and not very warm (unless it is fleece lined which makes it even heavier). It is relatively weather proof - but needs to be dried thoroughly and while it is drying yoiu would need another coat. <BR><BR>So leave the leather coat home and take something warm and waterproof - like a raincoat/trench with a removable liner (if it is winter) or without a liner (the rest of the year)

Tess Oct 11th, 2002 08:05 AM

I was in London during November of a few years back. I also found that a trench coat with zip out lining was perfect garment for weather at that time of year. Actually, it wasn't so much rainy as it was "misty". We'd start the day out seeing a bit o sunshine, then clouds would gather and the moisture seemed to ooze out of the ground. In a week's visit, I think it was only once that it rained hard enough to require an umbrella. The rest of the time you'd have that misty, foggy atmosphere like what you see in old Sherlock Holmes movies.<BR><BR>I think you can manage with your leather coat; a trench coat with lining would be better. Most definitely bring an umbrella.

g Oct 11th, 2002 08:24 AM

Alicia,<BR>You can also get that waterproofing spray. Spray the entire coat a few days before you leave. If you have a Wilson's leather store in your area, check there. If not, many shoe stores carry it - you might want to verify with a clerk to make sure that particular spray is okay for coats - or some dry cleaners may be able to do it for you.