London Clubs and Guest Lists

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3rd, 2004, 06:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Apparently, Fodors likes to delete my innocuous posts about where to find information on London, possibly because I list a competitor site. At any rate, I would recommend www.viewlondon.com for the latest information on clubs, bars and restaurants, as it bills itself "the Londoners Guide to London." Don't know if that's true or not, but their guest list service is quite useful. Pick an area or club you wish to go to, and viewlondon.com can "list" you there for a particular night-otherwise, most trendy London clubs will not let you in absent your name on a guest list. I and others I know have gotten "listed" for clubs in Mayfair such as Embassy, but of course you don't have to be restricted to that area-there are dozens and dozens to choose from obviously. Once you are listed, they will send you a confirmation email for the night in question. It's quite efficient, and very easy!
Old Aug 3rd, 2004, 07:08 AM

I'll second that advice as it is hard for a tourist who is not staying at a top hotel and has no contacts in London to get on to a guest list. If the club you fancy isn't listed, such as Mayfair or Chinawhite, and you're a well dressed female who is attractive with quality jewellery, you could be lucky and allowed in even ahead of people on the guestlist.

If you're more of the lounge bar type then I can't recommend Milk & Honey enough - fabulous bar, and very reasonably prices food and drinks. If you're not a member then you can reserve a table before 11pm (if calling from the States): +44 (020) 72929949 . If you intend to frequent it post-11pm and are in London often in one year, membership is a reasonable (and vetting free) 250GBP. Highly recommended.
Old Aug 3rd, 2004, 07:10 AM
Original Poster

Thanks MK2-I listed the phone number myself in my previous post, but that got deleted!
Old Aug 3rd, 2004, 08:15 AM

Hey you two - Spygirl's advice that was apparently deleted was directed at me, and it was very much appreciated. The site, that I won't name to avoid having my post deleted, is fascinating - so much info. I've found a whole new thing to obsess over!

And the Milk & Honey site is interesting, along with the review sites I've been looking at (love the fact that one wouldn't be "hit on" by men due to the house rules).

OK m-kingdom... what do you mean by "quality jewellry"? Dripping in diamonds? Because I don't think I'll be carting mine along on the trip this time!
Old Aug 3rd, 2004, 08:34 AM

By quality jewels I'm talking about a nice watch (if you're being trendy TechnoMarine or perhaps Chanel J12 series, or if you're more classic - a rolex from their Oyster NOT Cellini collection) . Dripping in diamonds in a club is vulgar, that look is suitable for somewhere with an evening dress dresscode. A single stone from Graff in a pendant would guarantee you entry. A pair of drop earring perhaps with coloured stones - an intense yellow diamond would be superb. The usual jewellery one would bring on holiday to wear in the evening.
Old Aug 3rd, 2004, 08:39 AM

Gee, I'll have to pick up a yellow diamond before I leave. Too bad because yellow is just not my colour.
And I guess my plastic Timex Ironman triathlon watch with the southwest-patterned velcro strap is out. Darn!
Old Aug 3rd, 2004, 09:10 AM

Regarding Milk & Honey, if you are not a member but make reservations before 11pm, do you have to leave when 11:01pm rolls around?
Old Aug 3rd, 2004, 09:17 AM

travelchic, evidently the staff goes around and more or less discreetly gets non-members to depart at 11.
Old Aug 3rd, 2004, 10:38 AM

There are several lovely lounge-style bars which don't turf people out at the witching hour of 11. A lot of these listed have 1/2am last calls:

http://www.worldsbestbars.com/city/London/default.asp
(click soho/fitzrovia for the crucial ones)

That being said I faintly remember my 1 night at M&H with a member. It *was* a good place. But, there are plenty of other good places to hit (Momo downstairs, Akbar, etc etc etc) . . . .

Thanks for the tip spygirl * )
Old Aug 3rd, 2004, 11:54 AM
Original Poster

No problem, Taggie, Ealing, so far so good! Perhaps it was Wombat's fault! (smile)

And MK2-I am so GLAD to hear you say what you do about quality jewelry-apparently I would pass muster with my Ladies DateJust-and quite agree with you that the Cellini line is just not quite up to snuff!

And now, MK2-a question-DO you bring some good jewelry with you on travel? I do bring some, but I pare it down to the less expensive stuff.