Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

London City Airport to Knightsbridge. Taxi or Tube?

Old Jun 9th, 2011, 09:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, I'm flying into London City Airport on Friday, arriving around 5 pm. I need to get to Knightsbridge (Sheraton Park Tower). Don't particularly care about cost. Not overly keen on the double connection on the tube, but wondering if traffic will make the taxi ride miserable.

Opinions as to the best option?
Old Jun 9th, 2011, 09:35 AM

Taxi will be expensive at that time of day. Most traffic will be going out of the City, and you will be driving against traffic, but it will still be busy. But it's not a miserably ride; you'll pass lots of London landmarks on your way to Knightsbridge.
I take the tube if I don't have a lot of luggage (beware changing at Bank; a long walk with lots of stairs).
Old Jun 9th, 2011, 09:37 AM

I've no opinion, since - outside the fantasy world of business schools - there's never one best option for anything. And anyway, your major criterion seems to be your misery, on which you are undoubtedly the world's leading expert.

"Terrible" London traffic is a myth clung to by people with no experience of it. I frequently drive into London about that time many weekdays, and encounter congestion maybe one time in 20 at most. Since the congestion charge was introduced, traffic mostly flows all the time, unless you hit really bad weather or road works.

But then the unpleasantness of changing a tube/DLR train twice is a pretty silly myth as well. Get off, walk a bit, get on again: is that really so terrible?

You obviously think it is, which is your privilege. In which case get a cab. A black cab will be more likely to know how to take the back doubles to avoid any problems than the prebooked, just-airports, kind of operation so beloved around here (who are all experts on getting in from LHR, but often pretty dozy about dealing with LCY). Unlike the LHR-west central London route, the LCY-very West End journey requires real expertise on London street topography few people who've not done The Knowledge ever have.
Old Jun 9th, 2011, 11:10 AM
Original Poster

Taxi it is then.