London church with Roman undercroft

Old Aug 18th, 1998, 07:19 AM
Patricia

London church with Roman undercroft

Almost 30 years ago, my parents and I visited the Tower of London. It seems to me we walked from the Tower away from the river and came across a church that had a Roman undercroft. I can't remember the name of the church, but I would like to go back there. I think there is a "B" in the name, like St. Bartholomew's or All Hallows Barking or something. Anybody know this church, and how we get there?

Old Aug 18th, 1998, 09:30 AM
wes fowler

Patricia,
You've posed a puzzler! If you're near a Barnes and Noble, check out the Blue Guide to London. Your library may have it as well. It lists and details prominent buildings of historical and architectural interest in London. You may be thinking of St. Botolph Street which is in close proximity to the Tower and the Aldgate tube station. There is a Saint Boniface German Catholic Chruch on Adler Street (ALdgate East tube) which is a dozen blocks or so north of the Tower off Mansell Street.

Old Aug 18th, 1998, 11:39 AM
wes fowler

Patricia,
You certainly piqued my curiosity. Did a little research and found your undercroft. The church is All Hallows by the Tower on Byward Street (Tower Hill underground stop). The undercroft is open from 9:30 - 6:00 Mon-Fri; 10:00-5:00 Sat-Sun (except during services)

Old Aug 18th, 1998, 12:13 PM
Gabi

Forgive my ignorance, but what's an undercroft? (i'm leaving for London on Friday and might want to visit)
thanks

Old Aug 18th, 1998, 01:19 PM
wes fowler

Gabi,
Basically, an undercroft is a crypt. In the case of All Hallows, the crypt has remnants of London's Roman occupation as well as evidence of Saxon crosses from the time of the Dames occupation a 1000 years later. Just coincidentally, William Penn was baptized in the church and John Quincy Adams was married there. What may be of real interest is the brass rubbing center where you can make an interesting souvenir of your trip to London.

Old Aug 18th, 1998, 04:52 PM
Patricia

Wes, you are a wonder! Thanks so much. That must be the place.